LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Can I ask, how many know about this and carry round a copy when in Europe?

An interesting thread on local Dordgone forum, where Gendarmes refused to come out to an accident .

Am just off to print a copy to go in the car with the high vis jacket, the triangles, the spare bulbs, soon to be joined by he disposable breathalyser (for a teetotaler ::bigsmile:)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, yes these used to be given out if youasked for a green card for europe . as we joined and borders fell insurance companies stopped giving them out. in fact i contacted the printers here in uk.somers print and design. a few yearsago and aquired a few copies . i did manage to get saga to issue me with one once and lately have got them from camptons insurance people. unfortunately uk drivers hardly know anything about them . they also use them in morocco. ask your insurers for a european accident statement form. they should be free, you have a copy in english the other person as a copy in english from you. they give you a copy in their language.
diverse print and design is another name for the printers .
ask your insurers /brokers .
spanish police carry them but get annoyed if you havent got one . even then theres is in spanish.
best ask as they are self carboned so you both get exact copies.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
They are always in my document wallet. We used to carry them when I was working and have always done so since. A bit like snow chains really. Have never had to use the accident forms but if I took them out guaranteed I would need them. One thing for sure they are not as heavy as snow chains. :ROFLMAO:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Mmmmmm - the popular misconception always was that you didn't need one now you don't need a green card. I always said that was rubbish and there you go see, I was actually right.

But bearing in mind your insurer doesn't usually know these days you are going abroad anyway, and in any case it's not their problem to ensure you meet the motoring law of whatever country other than strictly RTA equivalent cover insurance-wise, then it isn't in their area of responsibility to provide the Accident Statement either. It was just a free extra service that insurers tacked on, that nobody ever noticed or appreciated until they needed it !

And if you never did drive abroad until after the demise of the Green Card in most of reachable Europe, then you probably wouldn't know, would you?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
when i spoke to the printers they were amazed as they said all the major insurers still got them from them. yes many do think we dont need them .bit like the bail bond for spain . it is now built in to the policey were as you used to ask for it. but ask its important. get a few you might have a couple incidents . best be safe than sorry.
they do make sense when you see them. can make claims much easier.
but dont sign anything till you are happy with what you are signing .

OP
OP
Hollyberry

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I'm ashamed to say that as I was printing the form out I realised it looked familiar. :Blush:

When I originally took out insurance in France the insurer gave me a couple of copies--and they've been sat in a file in my "office" ever since (really useful there) Now going in the car.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Have just run off 3 copies! From past experience of being in an accident in this country because of the shock usually involved, however mild, trying to remember what information you should exchange with the other person involved it is easy to leave the scene without having all the relevant information.
Having the form will focus the mind on what actually happened and what information you need.

Thanks for the information and I hope like the snow chains I shall never have to use them.

Norman

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
they should be on self carboned paper as they are an agreed statement . you cant alter them later as that voids them. better get the real thing . but yes usefull to keep for yourself . ask your insurer . shame we dont use them here all the time . help folk get familar with the form.
the idea is the front of the form iis agreed then later you can fill in the back with info about your driver etc.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I carry them (2 copies) in each vehicle (MH & Car). I got mine from Comfort with no problem.

I have used it once when I clipped a French Motorhome with my mirror on boarding a ferry. I had two copies so provided one (in English) to the French driver. Both of us completed the form and signed it. Just sent both copies of it to the insurers. He was given copies. Never heard another thing.

John

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
they should be on self carboned paper as they are an agreed statement . you cant alter them later as that voids them. better get the real thing . but yes usefull to keep for yourself . ask your insurer . shame we dont use them here all the time . help folk get familar with the form.
the idea is the front of the form iis agreed then later you can fill in the back with info about your driver etc.

When I write a contract as a child carer I always ask to exchange our contracts so neither of the parties can alter the contract , having the handwriting of the other party . This could be done as well on this kind of paper , get the person to write your part while you write his/her .... if you don't have carbon that is! Best way to be sure no one can change a single word.

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

SPUD'N'T

Free Member
Aug 25, 2008
YORK ENGLAND
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT (LOW PROFILE)
Exp
since 2008
Can I ask, how many know about this and carry round a copy when in Europe?

An interesting thread on local Dordgone forum, where Gendarmes refused to come out to an accident .

Am just off to print a copy to go in the car with the high vis jacket, the triangles, the spare bulbs, soon to be joined by he disposable breathalyser (for a teetotaler ::bigsmile:)

I did'nt know, but many thanks for the info, have printed copies of french/german/spanish/portugese for our forthcoming trip

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back