Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Just editing to say that the OP was about the consequences of being overweight.

My point is that there is a lot of fear being generated about this subject and having been an LGV Licence holder and driver for 25 years and a motorhomer for 10 years, I ve never seen a Motorhome being weighed at the roadside.

I do take your point about safety but we are talking fractions here, people are uplating for 3-400kgs, in many cases to the orginal design weight of the vehicle before the dealers downplated them for the UK market. I dont believe it would have a marked impact on the drivability of the vehicle unless it was loaded really badly whence it would become an issue anyway regardless of plated weight.

Jon
What fear? Its all about being responsible and a good citizen,not a foolhardy cowboy IMO

We weigh everytime we set out on a trip..it takes minutes.

If you want to know the fine structure it has been discussed on other threads. A search will reveal all;)

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
just checked my new mot cet, and it says 38000 kgs max weight,, hee hee, dont think i'll every get that muc, even with the wifes shoes,lol

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
How much to upgrade....100-400 pounds. Have an accident and found to be over weight.....no insurance......fine......points......how much did your mh cost, not really that difficult to come to a conclused!!!!! but we are all different in what we think is importent or not.
Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Why are manufacturers allowed to get away with making a vehicle that is so close to the knuckle that their customers can get roasted for doing what it was made for. Can a bus driver driving a bus with 72 seats in be booked for overweight if 72 fat gits get on???? There should be a proper excuse if it is doing what it was bought for. I would be very annoyed to be pulled over because 'they are always overweight' .
There must be ways of dropping the weights by manufacturing a vehicle with the correct materials and design to allow it to have the four passengers water fuel and requirements of life without having to chase around finding weighbridges. My car has five seats, if I put bums on seats am I having to go to a weigh bridge???

Lee Fryer

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Eastleigh
Funster No
MH
Coach built CI Carioca 15
Exp
Since June 2012
can you share this companys info please
J R Consultancy
Laurel House
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
IP31 AW
Phone 035950808
Email johnatjrcon@aol.com
Email him with your requirements and he will get back to you it may take him a few days.
I had all I needed back within three weeks just waiting for DVLA to send back amended V5.

Lee

Lee Fryer

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Eastleigh
Funster No
MH
Coach built CI Carioca 15
Exp
Since June 2012
can you share this companys info please
J R Consultancy
Laurel House
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
IP31 AW
Phone 035950808
Email him with your requirements and he will get back to you it may take him a few days.
I had all I needed back within three weeks just waiting for DVLA to send back amended V5.

Lee

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I ve never seen a Motorhome being weighed at the roadside.

They were pulling over on the A68 at Bonjedward in May. We'd been weighed at weighbridge a couple of weeks before and were well under but we did get weighed by the authorities. All was well and I showed them the weighbridge ticket. The nice man said they were having a crack down on motorhomes following "an incident". Make of that what you will.

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
Unfortunatly I have been pulled on weighbridge 3 times its under 2 miles from my house a 24hour public/vosa jobbie. everytime I was in my mercedes sprinter conversion used for Moto X quick and easy story is I was under everytime just luckily I empty the jet wash tanks coming home. The last time a bike cop followed me and pulled me in followed by a plain car he said " I have pulled you in to weigh you as these vans are always over
Is that the one near Lancing college? If so had better be careful as I will be on CCC temporary site at Lancing college from 10th for a week while visiting family.
Steve

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Is that the one near Lancing college? If so had better be careful as I will be on CCC temporary site at Lancing college from 10th for a week while visiting family.
Steve

Yes thats the one they wait on the airport/college junction enjoy your stay

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
J R Consultancy
Laurel House
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
IP31 AW
Phone 035950808

Lee
Think you will find the number is: 01359 250808
Will be ringing him tomorrow

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
What about them starting to pull over lots of these grossly overloaded and seriously unsafe family cars that have been passing me all day on the run down from Scotland...

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
Still making mistakes! But they're not as costly.
I don't think our European brothers worry too much about weight. In Italy this year, vans pulled in with 4 adults, 4 or five kids, as many bikes and so much gear, there couldn't have been anything left at home.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
They can if they decide to fine you by the Kilo for overweight.

40 years in construction and not once have any of our vans or trucks ever been taken to the wieghbridge. ..

That's not to say it's advisable or safe and I definitely would not encourage it.

Frankly the police have so little time to do it neither have VOSA or whatever they call themselves now. But the consequences if an overweight vehicle is in an RTC are not good .

They can't . Maybe for commercial vehicles but certainly not for private motorhomes. Search other threads & links are their. Up to 30% over is 300 fine Here ;

GRADUATION OF FIXED PENALTY NOTICES
£100 FP -- 5% to 10% or over 1 tonne on axle, gross or train if less than 5%
£200 FP -- Over 10% and up to 15%
£300 FP -- Over 15% and up to 30%
Prosecute over 30% or over 5 tonnes on axle, gross or train if under 30%

If I recall correctly the fine is usually worked out at £100 plus £10 kg for everything over 10% above the plated weight. Dynamic weigh bridges in the road linked to ANPR are more common than you think.
What I do not understand is why anyone would want to drive it overweight with all the crap that will come your way should it go Pete tong when upgrading the weight legally will reduce your road tax to £165. You will be legal and get your upgrade cost back in a couple of years.
If you only have a restricted licence at 3.5t and drive overweight, you will only add to the grief if (when) caught of not having the correct licence. Also for good measure this offence can lead to being charged for no insurance due to the insurance condition of having a correct valid licence for the insured vehicle.
Off loading weight at the roadside is allowed to let you proceed but that does not stop the summons as the offence/s have already been committed.

See above.
What is a "paper" exercise in the UK isn't possible in other countries & not even with a full engineering inspection.
As others have said most 3500kgs & less are really unfit for purpose.
Mines nearly overweight empty .:D

Also the Police have to be with VOSA to pull you over as they have no rights whatsoever to stop a private motorhome only heavy goods vehicles & commercials. You should always ask if they appear to be on there own.

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
Has anyone ever up-plated their HM weight themselves without consultants? Even at £100 a go it is money for old rope because all you have to do is fill in a form and send it to DVLA. The cost is £26. The trouble is I can't find anything that explains the procedure for actually doing it which is why consultants are able to cash in.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
[QUOTE
Also the Police have to be with VOSA to pull you over as they have no rights whatsoever to stop a private motorhome only heavy goods vehicles & commercials. You should always ask if they appear to be on there own.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately that is no longer the case!

Broken Link Removed

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Yep I use that one all the time, do make sure you go over it a few times, i often get different reading depending on speed & how central you, sometimes as much as 40kg.
Bear in mine they are intended for 40 tonners & are calibated at 18 tonne.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Has anyone ever up-plated their HM weight themselves without consultants? Even at £100 a go it is money for old rope because all you have to do is fill in a form and send it to DVLA. The cost is £26. The trouble is I can't find anything that explains the procedure for actually doing it which is why consultants are able to cash in.
It may look like an individual can just fill out the form and send it in with V5 and a cheque, but it doesnt work that way. You need the engineers calculations or DVSA will not accept it
people try it though and get cross when it doesnt work

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
It may look like an individual can just fill out the form and send it in with V5 and a cheque, but it doesnt work that way. You need the engineers calculations or DVSA will not accept it
people try it though and get cross when it doesnt work

But you shouldn't need engineers calculations for a standard base vehicle and chassis.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Being overloaded by any amount is a risk not worth taking. When a vehicle is overloaded the tyres /brakes/wheels/springs/steering/axles - etc, etc. are all being run overloaded. Some upgrades require additional work / parts some do not. Probably all perfect until that idiot pulled out and throws high stress on one or two components that were getting a shade weak. Then you have the problem..

IMHO never worth the risk

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
towing for 20 odd years but now have our first motorhome.
J R Consultancy
Laurel House
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
IP31 AW
Phone 035950808

Lee
I have tried to email JR Consulting today but the email was returned undeliverable. Has anyone been in contact with this company recently?
Thanks in advance.

Bill

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I have tried to email JR Consulting today but the email was returned undeliverable. Has anyone been in contact with this company recently?
Thanks in advance.

Bill
apparently taking time out due to a family crisis

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Thanks in advance.

Bill

You are reading and following a year old thread... Had you noticed ?? ;)

JT CONSULTANCY.jpeg

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
many have a weigh bridge in the brake testers . you may not even know it.

just checked my new mot cet, and it says 38000 kgs max weight,, hee hee, dont think i'll every get that muc, even with the wifes shoes,lol

I asked the tester to note my axle weights at mot a couple of years ago.....
640kg front axle
A little over a ton on the rear.

Not bad for a 7500kg american RV plus he insisted the rollers had been calibrated that week :rofl:

(Yes, i know its an ancient thread)

Jun 1, 2016
Chesham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since April 2016
An analysis of the data on the VOSA website shows that there were 2174 weight checks carried out at the road side in 2014/15 the latest year data is available. This is for light goods vehicles, they don't show data for motorhomes separately . Of these 88.4% had a prohibition notice issued. 1498 fines were issued, the average fine was £178.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
i was stopped in my 3.5 tonne Iveco.. M1 Junction 18.. was 450kg over, even though i had only half my usual gear in it, one bike instead of 2 , no water etc.. at 3950kg i was more than 10% over, if i recall correctly, if i had been less than 10% over i would have been allowed to proceed, but fined , 5% would have been a warning , but i had to get the weight under 3500 before i was allowed to leave. My wife called a taxi and left, so that was a help, but i had pull stuff out until i was under, and leave my son with it at the roadside, while i offloaded everything else, to drive back and pick up what i took out , and still be under, which we managed by 60kg.

It was at that point i realised that the van only had 1000kg payload , despite being twice the size of the one i had before, only any use if you are carrying toilet rolls , because you couldnt fill it with anything else.

£100 fine i think , no points.

Need to uprate my Euramobil 810 , but not got round to it yet , need to look at the V5 and the plate weight to see what can be done.

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
I can't get my head around it all if I'm honest.
I have a class 1 licence and my MH is plated at 3500kg, it can be uprated to 3850kg by just a paperwork exercise.
Now if I uprate it my VED drops. If I am over by 200kg say and I get pulled, then why I get prosecuted is beyond me.
There's no safety implications as it'll go to 3850kg by filling in a form and nothing else.
So by running over a little actually makes the government a little more money in road tax!
Is it just me that looks at it like this??????

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
If we want to play the "Blame Game". Then I would point the finger at the Motor-home Manufacturers. They MUST be aware that their Payloads are near enough a work of fiction. I would think that "Mr & Mrs Average" will require in the order of 500kg. Therefore ANY M-H that has less than that with full tanks and 2 "average funsters", would IMHO be being marketed in breach of the Fitness for purpose definition of the sale of goods act?. The vast majority of 3.5t Motor-homes would come under this definition!.

Moving the 3.5t (B) licence limit upward to (say) 4t would encourage the manufacturers to consider building Motor-homes with a more realistic Payload.

Pete

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
It was at that point i realised that the van only had 1000kg payload , despite being twice the size of the one i had before, only any use if you are carrying toilet rolls , because you couldnt fill it with anything else.
Isn't 1000kg a pretty good payload? How many motorhomes have more than that?

Steve

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Isn't 1000kg a pretty good payload? How many motorhomes have more than that?

Steve
No, that was for the empty van, no conversion. The guy who fitted it out used decent wood which weighed a ton, after we got stopped , i stripped the rear panelling and all the kitchen out and got 200KG of wood out, and then bought a caravan. Even empty , with a full tank of fuel , full water tanks , and 2 bikes and 3 people we would have been only 200kg under.. the awning weighed over 100kg when i took it off.

The manufacturers are in cloud cuckoo land, 4 berth vans at 3500 with 400kg payload .. rediculous

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back