consequence for overweight?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Cece, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Cece

Cece Read Only Funster

hi all
    Does anyone know what, if any, the consequences are if you are found to be overweight?
    We know how to uprate the gross vehicle weight and the cost for this going through SVTech is around £350 inc VAT, but feel it is just a paper exercise for DVLA as the van has an extra 400kg weight potential (based on testing certs).
    The question is, if you are stopped, weighted and found to be over weight using the noted weight on the V5 what can the authorises (both in UK and a EU) do?
    Are there any such cases of people being 'done'?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Big clothes, chest problems, could have heart problems, can't see your man bits ............. Oh, not you, your MoHo?

Note to self, read post all way through!:LOL:

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

I think there is more chance of being stopped abroad, not sure about financial penalties but they will not let you proceed with an illegal vehicle.

Martin

4. Flamenca

Flamenca Funster Life Member

From what I understand they will not let you proceed if you are more than 5% overweight but will allow you to offload something (empty water tank?) or someone at the roadside :)

5. Flamenca

Flamenca Funster Life Member

You do not have to use SvTech. A consultancy recommended to me by MinxyGirl has completed the same excercise for me for the total sum of £94. I now have a certified additional payload of 400kg. That is less than a fine on a single axle (y)

• Like Like x 2
  6. Badknee

Badknee Funster

To be serious, I've been stopped over here a few times when I was a trucker, I was fine each time but others weren't so lucky. You will have to lose weight, drain tanks, unload excess weight, but! You can't just dump it at the weightwatchers site. You have to arrange for it to be picked up by family or friends, I've seen trucks trans shipping pallets etc. tippers having to handball loads onto another vehicle.

Can't speak for Europe though.

• Like Like x 2
  7. PORKSTER

PORKSTER Funster

can you share this companys info please ?

• Like Like x 1
  8. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

As badknee says,, Here in Uk you will most probably be issued with a notice that prevents you from moving until excess weight is taken off. Plus a fine or court appearance..
    Can comment from experience as stopped years ago in a transit van and had to dump load at side of road plus the fine wiped out my profit on the delivery.. :(
    On the continent much the same except the fine will be on the spot and have to be paid there and then... Not me this time but someone we met had been stopped and weighed near Irun spain border, had to dump books and other items plus a €90 fine..

9. Charlie

Charlie Funster

They can if they decide to fine you by the Kilo for overweight.

40 years in construction and not once have any of our vans or trucks ever been taken to the wieghbridge. ..

That's not to say it's advisable or safe and I definitely would not encourage it.

Frankly the police have so little time to do it neither have VOSA or whatever they call themselves now. But the consequences if an overweight vehicle is in an RTC are not good .

10. vwalan

vwalan Funster

vosa as was and the police are regularly out on summer weekends on the main roads south . they use drive over mats then make you drive to a near by weigh bridge if it looks like you are over weight . not far from here is a regular place near fraddon . there is a weigh bridge just a few hundred yards away from the main a30. thery take over it at weekends etc . being ex heavy transport all i can say is they do and will be out there . its much more common than many think. you may be amazed just how many get caught . our local blokes talk about 6 out of every ten they stop are over weight . thats trucks and campers . campers at weekends are the worse.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

How many motor homes are stopped on a yearly basis?

12. grumps147

grumps147 Funster

Lots of threads on this if you do a search. VOSA have for some years had Weigh In Motion Sites, WIMS. The one I am aware of is M6 South near Stafford. All vehicles weighed on the move and checked via ANPR, linked to vehicle details including weights. When they have the staff you will be stopped if overweight and directed to their check site where a full weighing will take place, and probably mechanical check as well. If you gave Twitter access look at the @NWMPG and @CMPG sites, they frequently show photos of overweight vehicles - favourite seems to be white van man sprinters.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hundreds .they are an easy target . remember all your weights are checked at the mot station . certainly the 3.5 ton campers using a coach built are almost unfit for purpose.

14. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

Mine has never been weighed except by me at the local weigh bridge and certainly never at an MOT station

15. Derbyshire wanderer

Derbyshire wanderer Funster Life Member

If I recall correctly the fine is usually worked out at £100 plus £10 kg for everything over 10% above the plated weight. Dynamic weigh bridges in the road linked to ANPR are more common than you think.
    What I do not understand is why anyone would want to drive it overweight with all the crap that will come your way should it go Pete tong when upgrading the weight legally will reduce your road tax to £165. You will be legal and get your upgrade cost back in a couple of years.
    If you only have a restricted licence at 3.5t and drive overweight, you will only add to the grief if (when) caught of not having the correct licence. Also for good measure this offence can lead to being charged for no insurance due to the insurance condition of having a correct valid licence for the insured vehicle.
    Off loading weight at the roadside is allowed to let you proceed but that does not stop the summons as the offence/s have already been committed.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Yes, ours has been upgraded to 3.7 as I put it over the weigh bridge empty and it was 3.2 :eek:
    500kgs is much more liveable than 300kgs.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Baycott

Baycott Funster

Could you let us know what company you used please Flamenca?
    Would be very interested in having this done. (y)

18. Allanm

Allanm Funster

If your V5 says 3500kg and you are overweight, you would get done for being overweight, not for having an incorrect licence. That could only happen if your V5 says over 3500kg and you don't have the C1 category on your licence.

19. martin2603

martin2603 Funster

Don't forget it is the individual axle weights which catch people out. Four wheelers can easily be over on the rear axle if you have a long overhang.
    All dealt with by fixed penalty ticket now, plus of course loose the excess or redistribute your load to get weight of the offending axle.

• Like Like x 1
  20. jonegood

jonegood Funster

But interestingly:- no posts from anyone who has actually been weighed by Vosa/police etc - again.

• Like Like x 4