Connecting radio to Status Digital Television TV Aerial

Discussion in 'TV & Satellite' started by AT Fun, Apr 14, 2015.

1. AT Fun

AT Fun Funster

Hi has anyone connected their cab radio to the Staus aerial if you have how good was the result and do you need the power switched on on the Status amplifier? Should say its the directional one with the extending radio aerial.

2. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

I don't know but I have been considering it
    Interested to hear others thoughts ?

• Like Like x 2
  3. buckby

buckby

I have thought about this got to work better due to position

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Cant see any reason not to except having to run a new coax from dash to signal booster, wherever that may be.

Yes, it will need the booster turned on.

5. AT Fun

AT Fun Funster

I thought I would contact Status customer help line and they have confirmed that both the FM radio and the DAB radio outputs are "passive throughput" and do not require the amplifier to be powered to work. So that's even better for us as when on the move there is no need to switch it on, just got to run he cable now.

• Like Like x 1
  6. bungy

bungy Funster

Brilliant(y)
    been on my list of todos for some time

7. AT Fun

AT Fun Funster

It will be interesting to try different lengths of the extending dipole to see what length gives the best signal remembering of course to keep what will be the "down" side when the TV aerial is set to vertical so that it clears the roof.

8. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

9. StefAndDi

StefAndDi

We suffered from dreadful radio reception in both of our Swift Bessacarr motorhomes. On the second one the dealer fitted an aerial mounted on the front nearside door pillar but that did not improve things. They then arranged for the radio to be linked to the Status aerial, and were confident that that would do the trick.
    Sad to report that it made no difference at all.
    Stef.

10. AT Fun

AT Fun Funster

Interesting think I might run a temporary wire fist and see how it goes on our next trip. Maybe its something to do with not having a steel ground plane around the aerial like you do on a car or indeed a van before conversion.

11. AT Fun

AT Fun Funster

Well this has got me thinking now, if I use the Status I will have a short dipole aerial which when travelling will be horizontal so its not going to be very good as FM needs vertical polarisation and longer sides than the fixed Status stub bits which can not be extended. So am I barking up the wrong tree and would I be better finding a place for a whip aerial with a ground plane?

12. andyman

andyman Read Only Funster

I wired the radio to the status aerial on my Burstner. Far better reception than before but far from perfect.

13. AT Fun

AT Fun Funster

Did you check it vertically and horizontal by any chance to see if it made any difference?

14. Cossieg

Cossieg Funster

Had this done in my Comanche as I had no reception before. Seems to work well & I don't switch on the booster.

15. andyman

Tried it both ways and could not tell any difference. Switching on the booster seems to help.

• Like Like x 1
  16. AT Fun

AT Fun Funster

Well I have started the job, removed the lower passenger side dash on my 2002 Ducato and found a thin wire that looked like it may be a coaxial and it went behind the radio so carefully stripped off the outer insulation and revealed the wire inside and it was indeed a coaxial. Put the radio on then cut the coaxial first the outer then the very thin centre wire ....... radio still working panic! have I cut the wrong wire? With a struggle I removed the radio complete with mounting cradle and it was the correct wire so pulled out the now 18 inch long "aerial" radio working but a bit of loss of signal. So I think I can say the problem is with the aerial I was not able to trace where the end went to but seemed to vanish near the passenger side window pillar which is above the door window wiring and I do not think it went there. Next stage will be a good quality coaxial run to the Status to see what happens. I will be back. lol

• Like Like x 1
  17. StefAndDi

StefAndDi

On the Ducato the converters remove the original aerial from the cab roof and create a new aerial inside the mirror on the passengers door. Another reason why mirror guards can be a good investment.
    Stef.

18. Electraglide

Electraglide Funster

Connected the Status aerial to a JVC dab radio, works a treat.

• Like Like x 1
  19. AT Fun

AT Fun Funster

Right job done, renewed the coaxial from the radio up to the Status amplifier signal sounds very good but the real test will be when we are on the move which will be in a couple of weeks. Cable run was easier than I thought it would be if anyone else is doing it on a Ducato like mine its a 2002 feel free to ask and I will tell you how I run the wire. Will report on reception on the move in a couple of weeks. :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. andyman

Have you tried with the engine running, mine is perfect until I start the engine and then reception is not so good.