Connecting Mppt Regulator To Batteries. (1 Viewer)

Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years

Nigel&Debbie

Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
Not being an expert by any means, but here goes from experience:
1. The charge you have bought does not have a split charge function so it is going to be difficult to charge both leisure and cab batteries via solar
2. The Sargent cable with all respect to them is virtually bell wire, and you would lose a lot of power due to its resistance.

I would buy decent 4mm or even better 6mm cable and just connect direct to leisure batteries OR send unit back and buy a unit which does support split charging and then wire direct to both sets of batteries.

Hope this helps

Nigel

OP
OP
Tom A
Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
Thanks for that Nigel.
The regulator I've ordered is used by a good few Funsters according to what I've read.
On the output side it has connection for battery and connection for load. Have you any idea what the load connection is ?
Thanks Tom.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I think the "load" allows you to plug in a low amperage device (phone charger for example) and it draws the power straight from the panel when the sun is shining.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
My understanding is that the load terminal will power equipment connected to it direct from the battery so allowing something to work even when all other systems on board are shut down, it will cut off if the battery voltage drops too low, your normal method of connection would be the battery connections. My set up goes direct to the battery with 6mm cables but mine is CBE system not Sargent, then our CBE system will charge the cab battery as required.

If the Sargent has nothing built into it for looking after the cab battery from the leisure side I believe you could use a CBE csb2 or battery master, quite a few post on here discussing this option.

Martin

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
The load terminals on mine draw power from the battery... It has a timer on it that allows you to run a load like lights for fixed times from the battery and have them switched to suit. There is also some protection to prevent over discharging the battery... I haven't used mine but from memory that's what the load terminals are for..
Ta andy

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I've just connected my batteries together using 30amp wire +ve to +ve fuse each end. Fuse at the hab end is easy to get to so I can isolate when stopping for a while to make sure I don't run the engine battery flat. When parked for long periods at home I leave them connected so the van always starts when I want it to.

OP
OP
Tom A
Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
Thanks for the replies.
I think I'm sorted but another question if I may ?
I'm planning on running 6mm cable from regulator to leisure battery. Do I need to run both +ve and -ve to battery or can the -ve be run straight to a good earth near the regulator ?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Do I need to run both +ve and -ve to battery or can the -ve be run straight to a good earth near the regulator ?
If the leisure battery is earthed to the chassis, which it should be, I see no reason why not.

Easiest way to check..... Connect a multimeter, set to ohms, to the battery neg post and a good clean body earth.
1 on the scale means open circuit (no earth continuity), and 0 upwards is continuity. (battery to chassis)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back