Connecting devices to Android tablet (1 Viewer)

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
I bought a lead to connect my Samsung 10.1 tablet to external drives...

Visualise if you will a short lead, one end of which is the 21 pin which fits into the base of the tablet. The other end is a USB female, into which ESB sticks and external SSD's slot.

My query is where do I find these external drives in the tablet operating system? There doesn't seem to be an equivalent to Windoze Explorer, and nothing shows up in My Files.

Do I need another app, and if so, any recommendations?

Could I also connect my Galaxy S2 via this lead to enable wired tethering, rather than wi-fi or Bluetooth?

Last edited:

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
You will need another app - I use Nexus Media Importer. Not sure if it was free or not.

Warning though, not all drives work, I have a 40GB drive from an upgraded laptop and it does not see files.

Steve

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Link Removed is a one I use, very versatile beastie

If your connecting a drive then the drive needs a seperate power supply as the OTG host doesnt have enough to run anything other than an SSD type device, as in USB stick etc

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Just as an addendum...

Not all devices have an OTG (on the Go) usb capability, so well worth checking the device first
and not all drives will be readable, all depends on formatting and size of the drive, again worth checking out

USB sticks should all be OK though but a 500GB portable harddrive may not!!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
My query is where do I find these external drives in the tablet operating system? There doesn't seem to be an equivalent to Windoze Explorer, and nothing shows up in My Files.

Do I need another app, and if so, any recommendations?

Could I also connect my Galaxy S2 via this lead to enable wired tethering, rather than wi-fi or Bluetooth?

The joys of Linux ( = Android ).

esfile explorer or the file explorer that comes with it. Just look for file explorer on Play Store.

Unlike Windows you'll not find a nice E drive, you'll find something lurking under, I think, .mnt ( mount ).

Don't know about tethering, very unlikely.

Last edited:
OP
OP
wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Thanks for the replies.

Bungy - top man - thank you very much.

Just what I was looking for.

Can now expand a tablet limited to 12gb on board memory, with no sd card slot. A 64gb usb stick or two can hold more than enough movies and music for a few weeks away, and can now be accessed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back