Confused already

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by TallBlonde, Sep 2, 2015.

1. TallBlonde

TallBlonde

Hi there, just a quick intro. Having been left some money by my lovely mum I thought I might fritter some of it away on a motorhome. I'll doubtless be asking lots of the questions everyone else has asked and generally lurking on the Forum. There are just two of us (husband and I) and the motorhome would be to get us out and about in the UK and (hopefully) take it to the near continent. At the moment I swing between thinking it's a great idea and, on the other hand read so many posts about 'Whats Gone Wrong With My Van', think that van ownership sounds pretty stressful - when going away in the darn thing should be relaxing (I'm currently in the latter state of mind)! So, I'm here to inform myself and maybe be persuaded either way. Look forward to chatting!

• Like Like x 3
  2. Mel

Mel Funster

Hello & welcome
    Dont worry we are just grumpy old gits that need to complain.
    Its a great way to relax.

Mel & Lieve

3. TallBlonde

TallBlonde

I already live with a grumpy old git - I was hoping a MH would cheer him up!

• Like Like x 11
  4. Baycott

Baycott Funster

Well, we moved from Caravan to Motothome 3 years ago and have loved every minute (y)
    How about hiring one first to see if you like the lifestyle?
    Welcome by the way :welc:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Oriel

Oriel

Hello and welcome!

As with anything mechanical you're going to have malfunctions from time to time. People whose MHs are functioning perfectly aren't likely to post about it so you're only going to see posts asking for help/advice. As long as you buy a MH in good condition I doubt you'll have problems... in my (limited) experience the fun to be had far outweighs any hassles along the way!

• Like Like x 3
  6. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Hi TallBlonde, for every problem you read about here, there are tens of thousands without the problem. Even if you are incredibly unlucky and have problems most issues can be sorted out easily enough. Don't forget a lot of people only post in forums when they have a problem so it can skew your outlook somewhat. Ownership is more bliss that stress. Just make sure, that whenever you don't understand stuff you run it by the forum first. In the unlikely event you'll need help; you'll get all you need here. (y)

Meanwhile, welcome to the club (y)

• Like Like x 2
  7. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

I've just spent 5 days at Oulton park (Gold cup - car racing) with other motorhome friends and nothing broke or fell off.(y) It was relaxing and a ball:LOL:. You must be aware there are thousands of people with different types of vans on this forum so inevitably they're going to have the odd problem now and again.:(

8. Mel

Mel Funster

I get the feeling you will fit in very well on Fun

Mel

• Like Like x 2
  9. davidbaldam

davidbaldam Funster

Hi and welcome to FUN, we bought our van 3 years ago it's a 2001 reg and only done 40k mileage has never given a moment of bother. You pays your money and you take your chance but it is a great way of life. (y)

• Like Like x 2
  10. JJ

JJ Funster

Once you get your husband into a motorhome, he will change instantly.

Remember how your heart fluttered when you first saw him?

Remember how full of life he was?

Remember all those plans and hopes for the future?

Remember all that energy as he carried you upstairs?

All that returns when you get him into a motorhome...

Wait until you meet Sir old-mo and you will KNOW I speak the truth...

JJ :cool:

• Like Like x 6
  11. meanders

meanders Funster - Life Member Life Member

We bought our first motorhome with my inheritance from my mum, it was the best decision we ever made and we have already enjoyed 10 years of travel that we wouldn't have been able to do without it. We have had a few problems but the fun we have had far out ways any difficulties. We are leaving for 3 weeks holiday in Ireland next week and can't wait to go.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

Hello and welcome to the Fun! :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. TallBlonde

TallBlonde

Yes, I think hiring one for a few days is the way forward. Was thinking about finding someone who hires out the style of van we might like, just to try it out, and in a location we want to explore.

• Like Like x 1
  14. TallBlonde

TallBlonde

Thanks, that made me cry a bit, having lost my mum just over a month ago. She would definitely think buying a van was 'frittering' but would have been up for trying it out - and want me to have as many adventures as I could in it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TallBlonde

TallBlonde

Hahahahaha! That made me proper lol, as the young people apparently no longer say. I'm sure he'd be able to manage the couple of steps up into a van - not that he ever carried me over the threshold or up the stairs in the past, but Ill make this a pre-requisite if we get a MH>

Having voiced concerns to him about owning a motorhome this morning he's gone all 'don't rule it out; stay positive' on me. We went to a local dealership last week and he was very anti before we got there ("are you sure you don't want a VW California? They're very cool") but came away much more enthused about the idea. Quite frankly his main inters is in driving the thing.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Popeye

Popeye Funster

Welcome TallBlonde, I was thinking, here's you looking for a motorhome and there's loads of guys on here with one who are looking for a tall-blonde, surely there's room for movement somewhere........

.....joking over, my last boat was contributed to by the passing of my mother (far too early) and now that I've sold my boat and ploughed much of that into my latest Motor Home, I like to think mum would have approved in fact I know she would.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Hi and welcome to the fun. Don't be tempted to get a van that is too small, imagine being stuck in it for a few days is there room to move about, sit on the loo, cook the dinner, or do you have to sit on the loo to cook the dinner, hee hee. It is all fun and great to get away on the spur of the moment. Book nothing just drive.

• Like Like x 1
  18. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Hi TallBlonde

Hi and welcome to fun, three and a half years ago we frittered away some cash and bought a six year old motorhome that all the bits had fallen off and then well and truly put back on.

We are now sat in the Czech Republic and don't regret one penny of the cash frittered.

Martin

I should have said who know where we will be this time next week, possibly Prague possibly Dresden.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Hel999

Hel999 Funster

I was also very dubious. As hubby has always been anti camping and anti caravanning i was absolutely gobsmacked when he asked me to borrow a campervan from a friend for a weekend so he could try it out. He had never ever given me any inkling he had even considered staying in one prior to this. We took it our for the weekend, he loved it and we ended up buying it!!!

What we love most is the fact that we actually spend quality time together. We both have very fast paced lives, are a bit like ships that pass in the night at home due to shift work and if im honest, only half listen to one another when we are in at the same time. Not any more!!! out on the road, we chat, we laugh, we enjoy one another's company, we play board games, dine out - all the things we dont have time for due to working so hard. Our motto now, is we work hard, so we play hard and we are away every spare minute we can.

• Like Like x 5
  20. parknride

parknride Funster

You could always leave him home??
    Welcome to fun.