Condesation within 06 Swift Sundance double glazed windows (1 Viewer)

MJ65

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 17, 2012
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2011
We are new to all this, only camped in tents before but having had our first Motorhome for about 3 weeks now, and it's fab, we have seen sunshine maybe 3 times" Sometimes when there is sunshine, warming the double glazed side windows, I see tiny spots of what look like fog but I think is condensation made of tiny water droplets within the double glazed void, on the back side of the pane facing the sun. Is this normal, should I be worried?

Thanks for any advice.

MJ

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
we used to get it a.l the time.

some plastic dual pane windows arent sealed and have a small hole pre-drilled in one corner to allow a little airflow as it heats up/cools down.

usually clears with a bit more sun

dj motormouth

Free Member
Nov 26, 2011
England
Funster No
MH
RV A Class
Exp
since 2011
I have the same problem with my rv. It would be great to know how to fix this without having to replace the window as that is completely stupid money.

With reference to the previous post. Could the hole be blocked up - and where is the $$$****^^^ hole.

Michael

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have the same problem with my rv. It would be great to know how to fix this without having to replace the window as that is completely stupid money.

With reference to the previous post. Could the hole be blocked up - and where is the $$$****^^^ hole.

Michael
I believe RV dual pane windows ARE sealed, so wont have the 'breather' hole.
mine are single pane so i'm not 100% sure,

a double glazing manufacturer may be able to do something but its unlikely it will be a success.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi all plastic double glazed windows are supposed to be sealed.If you have condensation in-between it is a failed unit.It is a very tricky job to split the plastic,clean it and reseal it.(I would not even try)Some people drill small holes in the cnrs to let the sun warm the air in-between the panes but it will always return :cry:The only practical way is to replace the unit.Early models also had the holes made purposly to allow air in and out but after a while they realised it would let condensation into the unit and these were soon dropped in favour of sealed units.
Never used the people below but herd good reports.
http://www.autoxtra.org/replacement.htm
terry

dj motormouth

Free Member
Nov 26, 2011
England
Funster No
MH
RV A Class
Exp
since 2011
Thanks for the links in the previous two posts. It is interesting that they have the same pictures but are different companies.

However my side window is glass and both of these links are for companies dealing in plastic windows.

Michael

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
DJ - if you have glass sealed units with condensation problems then the seal has failed and you'll have no option but to replace the unit. The seal is a hot melt system and it will be hard to tell which part has failed and it's almost impossible to split the unit and reseal (certainly in time taken it's cheaper to replace than to repair).

Any good window company will be able to make you up a new unit and install it back into the frame you have. Get a couple of quotes, it may not be as expensive as you think.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Well if you have glass sealed units (I hate to disagree with BwB ON A POINT :winky:) It is very easy to split a glass unit ::bigsmile: Take the unit to a sealed unit makers (any double glazing firm should be able to point you to a local place :winky:)Let them have a look at it and they will advise on a new unit or if it is a odd shape etc they may well take the 15 / 25 mins to split clean and reseal the unit , if you ask nicely :thumb: Chances are it will be toughened glass so should you require a new unit it will take around 4 days to get one.Just a second thought have you got a air gap unit ? I have seen them use Laminated glass in the past and you could have a de laminated problem, that would need a new piece of glass altogether

terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Only just noticed you say a 2006 swift ?are you sure it has glass and not plastic ?IT SHOULD BE PLASTIC -CAN YOU POST A PIC ?both inside and out
pay the tenner and become a full member -it will be the best tenner you will spend on the van
terry

OP
OP
MJ65

MJ65

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 17, 2012
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2011
Plastic Windows, picture - condensations

Thanks all, Terry you are absolutely correct, these are plastic windows. New to this will now try to work out how to post a picture as requested...

Attachments

• IMG_0449.jpg
    IMG_0449.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 20

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the company I linked to can actually rebond and seal acrylic windows that have separated, saving some of the cost of replacement

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Thanks all, Terry you are absolutely correct, these are plastic windows. New to this will now try to work out how to post a picture as requested...
Hope you had fun figuring out how to re-size and post pics :thumb:Once done not forgot ::bigsmile:The plastic will be a standard size so you may drop lucky and find one-ebay--if you ring around try
http://www.magnummotorhomes.co.uk/
http://www.olearymotorhomes.co.uk/
Knollbeck Caravans & Accessories Telephone: 01226 753956 ask for Roger
Derwent Way
Wath West Industrial Estate
Wath-upon-Dearne
ROTHERHAM
South Yorkshire
S63 6EX
Also try The big 1 s link :winky:
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.