Condensation

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by blamehofman, Apr 30, 2011.

1. blamehofman

blamehofman Read Only Funster

Just had a bike rack fitted and now have a patch of condensation in the back window which wasn't there before , can't see how the bike rack could have caused this as it's connected nowhere near the window .... Any suggestions ?

2. 656

656 Read Only Funster

Who fitted the Rack, did they seal the fittings with a mastic type compound, is there any damp on the wall where the fittings are? If the answer to No 3 is yes, then I would suggest that the rack fittings are letting rain water in. Whenever you pierce the outer skin of a Motorhome, you have to use plenty of sealer in the holes you make and on the item you are fitting. Damp will creep along the wall boards in all directions, I speak from experience but luckily Mark from CLS noticed it on my Hab check last year!

• Like Like x 1
  3. blamehofman

It was only fitted two days ago at my local Brownhills at Birtly , Durham . It's a Elddis 100 it's only a small window high up and now there's a patch of condensation in the middle of the window , could be coincidence , but don't know .

4. thehutchies

thehutchies Funster

On our van, where the bike rack casts a shadow on the window, the cooler area of window allows condensation to form.

We have a condensation-shadow in the shape of the bike rack and anything that is carried upon it.
    The morning after swimming, we can see bikini-shadow and goggles-shadow.

We could have the window fixed but the shadows are much more fun, to be honest :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  5. blamehofman

Ah! This could explain it , just had a look and it's where the handle bar casts a shadow , never had this on my last van though so just shows you live and learn . Thanks :thumb:

6. Gooney

Gooney Funster

Don't worry about suggestions that holes in bodywork are letting moisture in, the window is a sealed unit and nothing to do with any moisture that may be alleged to be in the bodywork. Shadows cast on the window definately show up as a patch within the window unit, this will dissapear when window is in full sunlight. :thumb:

• Like Like x 1