condensation (1 Viewer)

N

Nobody

Deleted User
:Smile:do i go for a small heater or dehumidifier and what out would do for moterhome

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
if you are not using the MH then I would go for a small fan heater set at about 50 degrees on a thermostat and make sure that all cupboards drawers underbeds etc are open and nothing is pushed tight to the wall so as to allow good air circulation - it will take a day or two but that worked well for us when we had a caravan - never had a problem

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We use an oil filled radiator which has kept the van just nicely above freezing these last few days.

You might try your local Lidl for a fan heater. They were on special last week but they might have some left. Only £9.99 and they have a frost setting.

We bought one last Saturday for use in a room at the back of the house which is not linked in to the central heating - very impressed.

Graham

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Fan heaters are a good bit of kit. I have two, but in my opinion only when your in the motorhome, thay have a virtualy exposed heating element behind the fan,
Usualy made of plastic, a disaster waitig to happen, unattended use I cant recomend
Oil filled rads are the safe way to go:thumb:
I have a 700watt on half setting, so 350 watts 24/7 does fine in a large RV
see what others say
another option would be a couple of "tube heatars" they are about 125watt each
Geo

Upvote 0

kkclassic

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
South Coast
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Tube Heaters

Hi Ya

These are the tube heaters I think you can use :thumb:

Link Removed

Some one else also said if you use a heater to leave the doors and cupbards open to allow the air to circulate around.

Hope this helps

Kevin and Tricia
Link Removed Link Removed

Upvote 0

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Fan heaters are a good bit of kit. I have two, but in my opinion only when your in the motorhome, thay have a virtualy exposed heating element behind the fan,
Usualy made of plastic, a disaster waitig to happen, unattended use I cant recomend
Oil filled rads are the safe way to go:thumb:
I have a 700watt on half setting, so 350 watts 24/7 does fine in a large RV
see what others say
another option would be a couple of "tube heatars" they are about 125watt each
Geo

Hi Geo - my reason for suggesting a fan heater is circulation which you do not get so effectively with a radiator - good fan heaters should have a tip over safety and a thermo cut out which will cut out the heater if it overheats long before the temperature gets to fire risk status. I cannot state if is is now law for these features but I bet someone can answer that for us shortly

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Landy
I hate posting conflicting advise on here as it doesent really help to answer the original quetion and more often than not adds confusion
Many many posts I dont reply to at all for that very reason
I agree the new better quality fan heaters do have built in safety features BUT
Thers always a but,
I dont belive they are intended for use in unocupied situations, in fact I belive the instructions say as much, its possible the instructions for the oil filled ones do too, and where I belive a safety issue is concerned I do post my thoughts contradictory or not, please dont take offence at that, just my personal opinion, I dont know many if any, Motor Homers happy to leave a fan heater on its own:Eeek:
I think It was John (Road Runner) who had one burst into flames in his RV whilst he sat watching TV,
It was one of the new all singing and dancing sort
each to there own and fingers crossed nothing ever goes wrong:thumb:
Geo

Upvote 0

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Hi Geo - I never take offence - I find it very usefull swapping notes like this - getting other peoples opinions - to me that is half the fun of this site and the way we can all learn more - If any of us were 100% right 24/7 we could earn a fortune - re the fan heaters - you have reservations on their use - I have only SO FAR had good results and reports. I have learnt something new - have never heard of a problem before so now I have a new view on it and those reading and needing help have two solid opinions to work from - If you ever have a thought on what I say post it you wont upset me that easy.:ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
(snip)

Some one else also said if you use a heater to leave the doors and cupbards open to allow the air to circulate around.

(snip)

Yes, as Landylover said also lift cushions to make sure the spaces underneath are open. It avoids cold spots.

Good point about the potential for electrical faults Geo - could apply to any heater really. Someone posted somewhere a little while ago that he has his oil filled rad stood in something like a cat litter tray, just in case of oil leaks.

Graham

Upvote 0

Tony Hunt

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Wimborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
RV A class
Exp
Oil filled Radiator plus dehumidifier is the way to go. A dehumidifier will keep condensation at bay but they wont work if the temperature is too low so a radiator ticking over on a low to medium setting works well and protects your investment.

Upvote 0

bevo

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
north west
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
hi we had static caravans for 25 years, and when shutting them down for the winter,
we always put tupperware bowls with a layer of salt in the bottom (about half an inch).
dotted them around the vans, near windows cupboards and on worktops.
the salt soaks any moisture up like a magnet and helped keep the furnishings dry.
when checking the vans periodically the bowls always had a fair amount of moisture in them.
all the cussions were removed and placed on a table in the middle of the lounge.
everybody we knew did the same and it's tried and tested.
so for a packet of salt it's a cheap and very effective way to combat condensation.

Upvote 0

GregM

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Exp
June 09
When we were tuggers we kept the 'van in storage so using a heater etc was not an option so bowls of salt was what we used and we never had any problems.

Now our motorhome is parked on the driveway and we have kept to the same method, no heaters etc just salt. It is our first winter with the motorhome but can't see why it would be any different.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back