Condensation on bed cushions

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by TDH, Feb 17, 2011.

1. TDH

TDH Funster

...and before anybody gets the wrong idea, its dampness on the underside of the cushions when we put the bed away in the morning.

Presumably its because the lockers that the bed rests on are relatively cold and no air circulates between the foam pad and the locker top. I've wondered about insulating the lockers, or about drilling them to get a bit of air circulating.

Does anyone have any hints please?

2. Dodgey

Dodgey Funster

From previous discussions some suggestions put forward were, put slats under the matress/cushions to allow some circulation and another was some marine matting designed for the job (I think that came from ScotJimland?).

As to ventilation our Winne has vents between the locker and inside for this reason but it doesn't stop it all esspecially in the colder times so, and I think with all options mentioned, lifting the matress/cushions regularly to let the dry/breath/air is a good idea to.

3. keith

keith Funster

Use bubble wrap under the mattress or the thin plastic sheet they use as underlay for plastic flooring. Anything that keeps the cold locker from the warm bed will do but these suggestions are very light & won't use any of your payload.

4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

You can use special matting, but to me that is a 'sticking plaster' fix, not a solution. ..
    Rather than absorb the condensation it's much better to prevent it by getting air circulating .. by:

either
    a) drilling holes in the base,
    b) replace the solid base with slats
    c) slats on top of the base..

as our bed base was the 'lid' to the engine bay replacing with slats or drilling holes was out of the question. I came up with the idea of slats on top .. that worked a treat.. no more damp mattress.

5. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Hi

Many years ago now a person who we hired a motorhome from had a lot of this trouble. How he had got around it was to make a framework of wood and cover with a stiff mesh, to place under the mattresses.
    This seemed to completely cure the problem.

Dave .:thumb::thumb:

6. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

I have the same problem on the boat as the mattress is on a solid platform with storage underneath.

The answer is to put something underneath to allow air to circulate, there is a marine solution but is bloody expensive like all things associated with boats :cry:

This post gave me an idea, Kampa do some interlocking carpet tiles with an open mesh which would lift the mattress away from the solid base.

Not expensive either and they can be cut to shape and easy to remove to get at the storage panels underneath.

Will fit some and see what the result is.

Peter

Attached Files:

7. 656

656 Read Only Funster

We had the same problem, so we went to Ikea and bought some bed slats. Can't remember the cost but not a lot. I also fitted a thin camping mat under the slats. Not had any problems since. :thumb:

8. robnchris

robnchris Funster

condensation

Do you have drop down doors in the floor units if so you could try leaving them open when you have put the bed up.
    That`s assuming you have the same set up as ours "U" shaped lounge turns into bed.

9. Dalek

Dalek Read Only Funster

I never knew Ikea sold bed slats so thanks for posting that 656, Graham was gonna make some :thumb:

Dale

10. zaskar

zaskar Funster

Grass/reed beach mats worked a treat for us when we had an overcab coachbuilt.:thumb:

11. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

Hi, our van has slats under the mattresses, but when we went to the Dusseldorf Show a couple of years ago we saw these: http://www.frolisleepsystems.com/ . :BigGrin: Bob.

12. TDH

TDH Funster

No, ours open from the top.

Thanks ever so much for all these really useful ideas. I'll let you know how it works.

Cheers,

T

13. JJ

JJ Funster

Wooden slats do it for me...

I was told that the body "produces" lots of water (water) overnight which goes into the mattress... unless there is ventilation to evaporate this away you get it forming dampness between the mattress and bed base...

check out the beds in the house... they have "ventilation" systems too...

JJ :Smile:

Attached Files:

14. Terry

Terry Funster

Get rid of the solid ply base and change it for slats :thumb:
    terry

Attached Files: