Condensation inside of the cab windows. Would this cure it? (1 Viewer)

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
The Karcher window vac is great for removing the condensation, but it does have one flaw - it really does not like being used upside down, which you have to do to get anywhere near the bottom of the windscreen. It coughs & splutters & treats you to your very own cold shower. :eek:

I know they didn't design it for motorhome use, but there are times when we run into the same problem in the house. There are a couple of windows where it has the same problem & I can't get to the bottom of the shower's glass door without turning it at least sideways.

The trick is to do the bottom first, while the receiver is still empty. Only partially successful, but it does help.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
and then out with the exterior screen cover, blocking any view from the cab. We like to sit with our cup of tea and watch the world outside

You still can! We have the Silver Screen ones for our van (Rapido A Class) and it's basically three pieces joined by velcro. You can pull the main piece that covers the windscreen right down so it doesn't block any light or view.

that's what I do.. only takes 10 mins..

10 mins ?????:eek:

What are you doing do it? It takes me less than a minute to fit ours, 30 seconds to take it off.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
The Karcher window vac is great for removing the condensation, but it does have one flaw - it really does not like being used upside down, which you have to do to get anywhere near the bottom of the windscreen. It coughs & splutters & treats you to your very own cold shower. :eek:

I know they didn't design it for motorhome use, but there are times when we run into the same problem in the house. There are a couple of windows where it has the same problem & I can't get to the bottom of the shower's glass door without turning it at least sideways.

The trick is to do the bottom first, while the receiver is still empty. Only partially successful, but it does help.
Whenever I use it in the van I use it sideways and vac from side to side rather than up or down
I've used the same technique in the house too for doing the bottom of patio doors etc

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Did not want to go down the exterior screen cover route, if possible. I see so many motorhomers pitch up, and then out with the exterior screen cover, blocking any view from the cab. We like to sit with our cup of tea and watch the world outside (and, perhaps wondering why others want to sit in such a dark motorhome). Thought about the Hymer route, but their range did not tick all the boxes, plus having had a Hymer caravan which had a lot of niggling problems did not want to repeat that experience. For the odd times we do get condensation it looks as though it will be the micro fiber cloth still, and as I said in my introduction "wallet is still firmly closed on the extras/options front".
An external screen definitely breaks the wild camping 'rules' also!:Eeek:

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Whenever I use it in the van I use it sideways and vac from side to side rather than up or down
I've used the same technique in the house too for doing the bottom of patio doors etc
So do I where I can, but you have to go beyond sideways to get to the bottom of our windscreen. It's not too bad once you know about it, but it's a nasty surprise when you first discover the problem!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have a Karcher and have shown it to many a motorhomer abroad who has been fascinated with it and then wanted one! It does 'piddle' but I solved that by wrapping the bottom in a small microfibre towel (think nappy!) and it doesn't then pee down my arm or the dash etc! The amount of water that you get is amazing ... much better to 'suck it up' and pour it down the drain than just wipe it with a cloth which you then have to dry meaning that the moisture just goes back into the air in the van!

T

Tackle man

Deleted User
My Hymer has heating vents along the top of the dash between the blinds and screens that are fed from the blow air heating.
I thought all A Class vans had it obviously not in your case.:)

Ditto :D

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My previous MH was a Dethleffs A class (rebadged Hymer) I think, and that had the facility to put the blown air heating on to the windscreen. Present MH is a Rapido Aclass which doesn't have that facility, but doesn't seem to have a problem with condensation, possibly because it is a larger MH with some forced ventilation (turbo vent) which is usually on together with the hob extractor when cooking is happening. If its cold heating is on all night, SWMBO feels the cold.
I won't have external screens, which I have managed to do without for many years, the internal blinds seem quite adequate. I always like to be able to move off quickly, preferably without going outside if not on a site, and external blinds prevent this.
As mentioned repeatedly, ventilation, together with heating which dries the air is what is needed

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Its just s bit of water.. shammie sponge 10 seconds while the engine warms up and off you go.. On an aire or layby stop we often don't get out the van from stopping, eating and sleeping, quick brekky and away.. no way do I want to mess with external screens...

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
So unless you have your heating on all night, how does this stop condensation on cold windows?
Good thermal blinds & we sleep in the back, which keeps the moisture down at the front, heating comes on half hour before we get up and drys off any condensation. We do use external screens in the winter, but it saves lugging them about in the shoulder seasons.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Don't know why they dont just have a heated windscreen like you'd have in a car?
On the Hymer option list & heated seats.

Maybe you could check and solve the mystery ?
Bit difficulte at the moment he is on a tall ship in the middle of the Alantic, try and rember when hes back.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
<--------- 2 blown-air circuits, one on, neither on or both on. Overnight, when very cold, centre roof-vent open and heating on low (no blown air)... Never had screens. Several winters (one memorable one when temp. went down to -22c) spent full-time and have yet to get any condensation on screen. One of the blown air circuits has 4 outlets around screen & side-windows in cab... all standard, 1991. (y)

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
I have just bought a supply of the little tubs that suck up the moisture to leave on the dash between the inner blinds and the window. £1 each from tesco, and I will see how it goes.
£300 for external screens - thats a lot of these little boxes if they work!
Don't accidentally knock them over though - I did - onto a cushion that we had In our caravan - the cushion forever after sucked up every bit of moisture going and was it's own 'moisture trap'!

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Dehumidifier?. I run one periodically in all our vehicles, especially winter time, Removes the excess moisture from the interior. Doesn't STOP condensation, but the Hab area always feels a little less Damp afterwards, and my gut feeling is that the volume is vastly reduced and hence the time taken to clear the screen is reduced, Helped by running the cab air con for a few minutes after starting. I mostly let the engine idle for a few min before I start to drive (The Motorhome) as I have a bit of a "phobia" about "Cold" start running, the most wear takes place in the first few minutes, the time is often that occupied removing and Storing the level blocks.

Like others, whilst I can see the benefit of external screens, especially in severe conditions, having had them on an R-V, where fitting required a set of steps!. the hassle may be more than the coping with condensation?.

Pete

Briarose

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2007
My Brother in Law has a small oil filled radiator on when on hook up..in the middle of the cab, he said it solves the problem. Keep meaning to try it myself.

MyDogsTooBig

Free Member
Nov 19, 2015
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Inbetween
Exp
Since 2010
Well, I am bound to say dehumidifier because I understand the science and they are small, quiet and cheap to run and can be left on indefinitely. Normally, night time is the worst because it is colder outside than inside and everybody and the damn dog is breathing out warm damp air. The dehumidifier really does solve the people and dog problem and the place is certainly fresher, apart from the dog farts. Unless your front screen is double glazed you are screwed really. Insulated blinds or external screen is the only way to keep the colder temperature outside from causing the warmer air temperature to condensate. If you all slept outside, then your screen would be nice and clear in the morning... It's just understanding the physics, that's all.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Simples we close the cab off so no warm air gets into the cab or on the windows, result no condensation.

Kelso

Free Member
Sep 19, 2013
Whitchurch, Hants
Funster No
MH
McLouis
Exp
10 years
I use external screens on camp sites, and internal ones when wild camping. I bought a Karcher window cleaner for about £40 and when i get internal condensation it sucks it all up in a couple of seconds, so no water runs down the inside and causes damage.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
So unless you have your heating on all night, how does this stop condensation on cold windows?
If it's cold enough for serious condensation mine would certainly be on. It doesn't do much in Autumn though - just keeps it at a pleasant low temperature. The thermostat sees to that.

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
We have two dehumidifiers running almost constantly in winter.

Photo 1 is the windscreen in the morning without dehumidifier.
Photo 2 is with the dehumidifier.

(Old photos, I must add. It's Christmas Eve when the decorations go up, if I get my way :) )

Barbara Hughes

Free Member
Mar 5, 2015
Penrith
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 635
Exp
Since 2015
We have the silver screen external on ours, it's the best,we like to look out and see the world go by too we just fold down the middle section hey presto!!! The screen cost £169 which is well worth it and a decent bit of kit

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
It was actually a bottle of some kind of spirit from Afghanistan that has a baby cobra inside :eek:
Supposed to make a man virile :whistle:
Bells will not be happy! Think they had a patent (or something) on the bell shaped miniature bottle.
With the amount of condensation in picture one it looks like it does work!:whistle:

Spidermonkey

Free Member
May 8, 2012
back in uk for a while
Funster No
MH
sold - none at the moment
Exp
June 2012
We've found that no matter how cold it is outside, leaving the window open a fraction stops all of the condensation and have only ever had to use the heating once when it dropped to minus 15.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
We've found that no matter how cold it is outside, leaving the window open a fraction stops all of the condensation and have only ever had to use the heating once when it dropped to minus 15.
This is not while your in the MH?

jjvan

Free Member
Sep 20, 2010
Funster No
We have Taylor Made external screens. They wrap round the side windows and front screen. Each side of the front screen is velcro'd to the sides, SO....... when we want to watch the world go by we just roll down the front screen, then roll it up when it gets dark.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
My Hymer has heating vents along the top of the dash between the blinds and screens that are fed from the blow air heating.
I thought all A Class vans had it obviously not in your case.:)

My Knaus too...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back