Condensation in a new motorhome (1 Viewer)

Barnie200

Free Member
Nov 20, 2016
Rugby
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
I have just bought a new Elddis 185 Autoquest and after my first outing this week I was very disappointed to discover considerable levels of condensation along the aluminium extrusion (about 25mm wide) which runs along the floor next to the sidewalls under the seating. I have had to mop up puddles of water from the floor on both sides of the vehicle. The weather has been cold and we did have the heating on. Is this acceptable on a new 2016 motorhome or am I expecting too much.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Its neither right nor wrong its Physics,
you only have two real choices, either reject the whole van on construction grounds or insulate the metal to prevent it happening

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
a bit more ventilation and fitting silver screens will help. but puddles sounds a bit eccessive

Ventilation yes but can't see how silver screens will help indeed I my thought is it would make it worse if anything as the condensation that would be on the screen will have to find another place.

On the OP's van it sound like what the trade would call a "cold bridge" not good really for a new van but, @Geo 's advice is pretty good IMO.

Martin

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Try opening the top vents. That may seem illogical if you're trying to keep warm but I suspect you're trying to be too cosy.
You need to let moisture escape. Hotter air will hold more moisture and, if it doesn't escape, it'll condense on the coldest surfaces as you've just described.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
I have just bought a new Elddis 185 Autoquest and after my first outing this week I was very disappointed to discover considerable levels of condensation along the aluminium extrusion (about 25mm wide) which runs along the floor next to the sidewalls under the seating. I have had to mop up puddles of water from the floor on both sides of the vehicle. The weather has been cold and we did have the heating on. Is this acceptable on a new 2016 motorhome or am I expecting too much.

Were you heating with gas ? as that would cause condensation, whether it would cause puddles of water is up for debate.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Were you heating with gas ? as that would cause condensation, whether it would cause puddles of water is up for debate.
that would be the case if the gas was burnt in the same environment but modern heaters are sealed. cooking gives far more condensation. also it will be worse with more people or animals breathing

Reactions: f6c

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Just reading Elddis advertising material there should be no cold bridges across the structure. If this is true maybe you have a water leak.

Is the boiler or any water piping near the puddles? Does the water pump keep recycling? Are there windows above the area? Do they leak?

Puddles suggests a lot of water in the atmosphere of the van and usually most of it would be on the inside of the windscreen and cab side windows.

I can't really see how condensation can occur under (in seat lockers?) the seating.

Mar 11, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Don't Own One Yet
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Take photos for evidence... if you do take it back they'll probably say "it didn't happen to them" when they tested it. Been there and got the t shirt although it was for a car we bought but better to be armed with evidence and position of puddles which may help to diagnose.

OP
OP
B

Barnie200

Free Member
Nov 20, 2016
Rugby
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
Hi thanks for all your comments. I do use a silver screen cover which hopefully keeps the inside a bit warmer. It would appear that the offical response from Elddis is that condensation will occur naturally in adverse weather conditions and they only advise you to increase the ventilation by opening the windows which is not much good if you're trying to keep warn. (The heating is blown hot air on electric (didn't use gas as we were on a hook up.) It's a similar situation to when aluminium windows first appeared (before PVC) I remember my aunties house were she was mopping up moisture from the frames nearly every morning as there was no thermal break betwen the inside and the outside. Elddis's advice to open the windows to increase the ventilaation has little effect as the aluminium surface is at floor level under the seats, so we can't keep beding, towels or clothes there as they will get wet. Not a great design feature for an expensive 2016 model motorhome !

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi thanks for all your comments. I do use a silver screen cover which hopefully keeps the inside a bit warmer. It would appear that the offical response from Elddis is that condensation will occur naturally in adverse weather conditions and they only advise you to increase the ventilation by opening the windows which is not much good if you're trying to keep warn. (The heating is blown hot air on electric (didn't use gas as we were on a hook up.) It's a similar situation to when aluminium windows first appeared (before PVC) I remember my aunties house were she was mopping up moisture from the frames nearly every morning as there was no thermal break betwen the inside and the outside. Elddis's advice to open the windows to increase the ventilaation has little effect as the aluminium surface is at floor level under the seats, so we can't keep beding, towels or clothes there as they will get wet. Not a great design feature for an expensive 2016 model motorhome !
You are right its not good, if it is just the aluminium it might be worth trying to insulate it with some carpet or some foam camping mat or similar.

I think you have a choice to make, you can try to make it right and then start enjoying your travels or you can let it spoil your pleasure.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back