Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
My laptop is in need of its second battery, not a major problem, it will be its second one and its a well known fact that most laptop batteries are old when you get them.
It may be time to get a new laptop, my missus can make use of this one as she rarely uses it, it will give us the option to get a "3" simcard for browsing while travelling as well, the general concensus is that they are very quick and reliable.

My problem is, I cannot decide whether to replace the laptop, or get a "netbook" "tablet" or "Ipad". I was at Lakeside shopping centre today, and in and out of all the relevant shops, but the salespeople are either too pushy, or know less than me.........anyone fancy clueing me up a bit?

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
My laptop is in need of its second battery, not a major problem, it will be its second one and [HI]its a well known fact that most laptop batteries are old when you get them.[/HI]
It may be time to get a new laptop, my missus can make use of this one as she rarely uses it, it will give us the option to get a "3" simcard for browsing while travelling as well, the general concensus is that they are very quick and reliable.

My problem is, I cannot decide whether to replace the laptop, or get a "netbook" "tablet" or "Ipad". I was at Lakeside shopping centre today, and in and out of all the relevant shops, but the salespeople are either too pushy, or know less than me.........anyone fancy clueing me up a bit?

Never heard that before,i,ve got a 17" screen dell.find its a bit too large a screen for taking mobile,thinking of getting a netbook,theres a lot to be said for any of your other suggestions but,luckily my vodaphone card doesn,t need topping up till the payg is used,not monthly,it is quicker than tethering to the 02 iphone.I,m sure all the info you need will be coming your way soon:thumb:

Madmark62

Free Member
Sep 28, 2011
Wakefield West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Lesharo
Exp
I`m a newbie
We have a laptop, netbook, android tablet and an i-pad.
I dont like the i-pad, but that is a personal preference, like both the tablet and laptop, but when we are travelling I prefer the netbook, nice and small, but adequate for the things I use it for in the boat and van. I have now bought a leather cover that incorperates a keyboard for the tablet, so I will try this out and see if it makes it any better for me.
As I say these are just my personal preferences, I know many on here swear by the i-pad, but I just cant get on with it and it in no way justifies its cost.In fact I cant say that I am overly impressed with any apple product, I hated my i-phone too, sold it after 3 months and bought a HTC phone instead.
Just see if you can borrow one of each from friends, nieghbours etc. Only way to find out is to try them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
We have a decent laptop, ( a dell ) a tablet which i am using now ( SAMSUNG TAB 2 10.1 ) and a note pad / net book.
Hate the note pad / net book, too small too clumbsy. Love the tablet for instant browsing, emails, music etc. And would not be without my laptop for more in depth / fomal browsing and downloading. My view is if you intend to download , print, use office and stuff you need a laptop.

Laptops will use / load most programmes, tablets run on apps so not everthing will be available ( at the moment ) apps you may still need a pc.

For travelling we use both as we have the Acsi dvd of campsites which can only be loaded on a pc at the moment.

Hope this helps a little.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I bought a netbook earlier this year..
I returned it to Currys as not fit for purpose after I loaded it with max memory and it still could not out perform an abacus !!

In everything I asked it to do it was slow as a box of dead frogs..

The iPad is handy for a lot of things, and has slowly had more and more use since I have owned it, but for me, there really is no substitute for a laptop

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
it will give us the option to get a "3" simcard for browsing while travelling as well, the general concensus is that they are very quick and reliable.

Get a Samba mobile sim. They cost ÂŁ5 but by watching adverts, you get free internet - I have 2.5gb on mine. These are rebranded 3 sims. I have one in the ipad as does Eddi. Last 3 weeks when working away, I used the Ipad 3 as a personal hotspot, connected the MacBook to it and emailed my daily spreadsheets to the office. I had a great signal all the time. Sorted

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
My laptop is in need of its second battery, not a major problem, it will be its second one and its a well known fact that most laptop batteries are old when you get them.

appley stuff straight to the apple shop
biased info but truthfull
you may get passed on to other members of staff more knowledgeble

but i find the info truthfull

i bought a toshiba netbook no cd/dvd drive restricted windows 7 !!
could upgrade to full win 7 for ÂŁ70.!!
if i had upgraded i would of been into cheap lappy land
looking back would of been better off that route
full win 7 and dvd save ÂŁ150 ish (7 upgrade+dvd drive +licence)
drive licence was for 100 days and upgrade to full licence for dvd writer/player
as it dosnt come in restricted win 7 and you will probably need it

after that conundrum swopped to mac/apple least i know im gonna get gaught
but stuff works

my ipad is in use most days bought a 16 gb 3g
but have signed up to bt infinity and now get bt openzone
use that on i phone or pad when no 3g signal

with the i pad you need a dedicated sim card standard sim cut down to mini sim or i think pad 3 has an evan smaller sim

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
PS.... we also use a 3 mifi unlocked and buy the best deal internet data available at any time. That way you can connect upto 5 devices at one time and any of your portables that have wifi, phone, tablet, note pad or laptop whichever you choose to take with you at the time.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Get a Samba mobile sim. They cost ÂŁ5 but by watching adverts, you get free internet - I have 2.5gb on mine. These are rebranded 3 sims. I have one in the ipad as does Eddi. Last 3 weeks when working away, I used the Ipad 3 as a personal hotspot, connected the MacBook to it and emailed my daily spreadsheets to the office. I had a great signal all the time. Sorted

That looks a great option !!
Damned shame there is nothing like that for Europe ..........

OP
OP
darklord

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Thanks for all the advice, on balance, I think it'll be "better the devil you know" , so I think i,ll get another laptop and pass this one to the missus.
I use my HTC phone as a hotspot at the moment, but Orange is REALLY crap, so slow and draggy, si I,ll go the "3" route until ive investigated the "mifi" bit.

One interesting (sort of) thing, is that when we camped at a National Park in Portugal last month, i paid for internet access...and had to sit in the bar and use it. The bar was 100yds as the crow flies from our MH, and I am sure people onm here have sorted THAT little problem by using an amplifier.....I,ll ask about that when ive change dthe lappy, thanks.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I was I n Tesco today looking at laptops and the Manager there told me they had minimum stock in and advised me to hold fire until 26th of this month as there will be a major launch of all new stock with Windows 8 as standard, he even demonstrated the Windows 8 to me which he had installed on one particular laptop it looks good more like a tablet operating system, just click on tiles to open apps.:thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
did you go in tot he Apple store ?

Did you go into the Apple store? normally they just let you play with the computers.. never had an issue with them myself... I have an iPad fantastic.. use it every day.. plus I have a 15" MacBookPro.. again first class.... Going back to the apple store there staff always seem to be very knowledgeable and then you always have the genius bar (need to make an appointment for a 10 minute slot).. they know what makes them tick.

Bob

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Ihave a netbook (though HD has died) tablet and a laptop. For travelling I prefer the laptop, as it has a full sized keyboard and will run anything. The extra size and weight is not significant in a MH. Tablet is useful for accessing emails in pubs though I can do that on my phone which fits in my pocket, and possibly useful if you have to go anywhere by air.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I'll own up to my bias............Apple!

We have had a pair (his and hers lol) of Apple Macbook Air's for just over a year now. They are fast, light, easy operating system, the batteries last about six hours and the Apple Care is excellent!

For me I would not go back to Microsoft ever again (can't say I miss those error messages and beeps........computer says no kinda stuff)

I did try iPad but I think they are better as an 'extra' rather than only computer.

All I can suggest is at least try one in the shop before you dismiss Apple.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
My eldest has a netbook - it looks very limited, not least on screen size. I wouldn't personally consider one.

Personally I'm not a great fan of laptops per se but I use them on sufferance - if I was buying one now I'd double check it had a CD/DVD drive included, as not all of them do.

I've got a Macbook laptop which I take away in the MH with me because it's slick, quick, and has a great battery life of around six hours. I bought a low cost 12v charger off eBay so I can recharge it in the MH. I use it mainly for storing and editing photos, and it's shamefully under-used in every other respect because my day job is PC/Windows based. Macs are good but they cost about twice as much as their Windows equivalent, and you have to re-learn some aspects of using their operating system.

OP
OP
darklord

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Ive seen an 8gb windows 8 jobbie, with dvd/cd drive and a good set up for playing DVD's. I buy cheap ÂŁ3 dvd's from wherever i can get them, as I dont want a tv in the mh, when its pizzing down or too cold to go wandering, we watch a DVd on the laptop. After losing everything off my PC a few years ago, I constantly back up onto a storage device, so like others, dont fully use the capability available...............for me, speed is king, i dont want too much buffereing, i dont want to wait for an internet connection, and I certainly dont want to lose work due to crashing.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back