Free Member
Apr 17, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello - hope to be picking up our Motorhome in a few days and off touring Europe. We already have questions - the first being - what is the best way to power a laptop when we're not staying on sites with hook-ups?
All advice gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
charge it via the Inverter

We charge ours via the inverter ... a pure sin wave (not modified) .. that allows us to run mains items from the batteries so we can charge the laptop just the same as if we were at home. We have a genny in the chassis being an RV and can top of our batteries at anytime we need to as the Sterling Inverter is also a 4 stage battery charger (combi).

But there are lots of ways to do it as you will see from the suggestions.

Bob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I would say you need a 4kw genny, at least four 120ah leisure batteries and a solar panel of at least 180 watt..
Rig up a 3kw inverter.. only the best say a Sterling pure sine wave .. plug in.. bob's your uncle ... ::bigsmile:

or you could just do as Graham said.. :thumb:

edit.. oh dear bob beat me again:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
please note I am not his uncle!!!!!!

I would say you need a 4kw genny, at least four 120ah leisure batteries and a solar panel of at least 180 watt..
Rig up a 3kw inverter.. only the best say a Sterling pure sine wave .. plug in.. bob's your uncle ... ::bigsmile:

or you could just do as Graham said.. :thumb:

edit.. oh dear bob beat me again:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I will have you know I am not his uncle:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: but great minds think alike... yes we have a4 kw genny and it is the Sterling Inverter we have...

Never mind Jim:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bob:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I will have you know I am not his uncle:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: but great minds think alike... yes we have a4 kw genny and it is the Sterling Inverter we have...

Never mind Jim:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bob:thumb:

honestly bob, I wrote that before I saw your post... :roflmto:

I must be psychic.. :Cool:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I agree with ReallyRetired...

I use an EverFast Auto DC Power Regulated Adaptor from Maplins...

Input 12-16 volts... output 15/16/18/19/20 volts DC at 11.5 amps max... 20/24 volt DC 5 amps 120 watts max.

Model EF490129.

Has worked flawlessly for a couple of years now and if I remember right it was less than £40...

JJ :Cool:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've had a charger similar to those mentioned by Realyretired & JJ for several years and it worked (and still does) very well.

I've found, though, with the latest netbook and laptop I've bought, that manufacturers are using different input sockets (which none of the multi-tips fit) and/or different charging voltages. As a result I've had to buy specific chargers but they are still not too expensive and available on eBay usually.

Most of the multi adapter sellers recommend that you check before you buy.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Bought a 175w plug-in inverter from ebay to charge phones and laptop £17. Recently on a busy site near Boulogne on EHU which started to trip out, used it to power Sky box to keep wife happy - and me having to keep tuning the box in - the site power must have tripped 20 times in an hour before it was sorted but wife was able to watch BGT - at least she was happy. Old Vic

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back