Computer help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Can you computer boffs please help?

I use an external hard drive to store all my files and the system has worked fine until today. I tried to enter the files on my hard drive and both my computers send a message saying I must format my hard drive. I am sure if I were to do this I would lose all my files.

After saying "cancel" I then receive an error notice saying "Data error (cyclical redundancy check)
I have no idea what this means and I am scared stiff of losing all my files that I thought were safe on my hard drive.

As it is such a recent occurrance would a system restore help?

Can anyone help please?

Norman

Onderweg

Funster
Jul 17, 2008
Vlissingen, Holland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As of April 2008
Hi Norman

First of all -- dont please dont format your drive -- you will lose all your data !!!

A system restore will not do the job. From what you explain it looks like a problem with the partition table (master boot record) Often this failure is caused by not properly removing the disk from the computor (you always have to use the "remove hardware safely utility")

There are good and free of charge tools available but I cannot be of help now because we leave tomorrow morning early for our next trip and i have to get some sleep now. :cry:

I am sure someone can help you out, and sorry for letting you in the dark now

Paul

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back