Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I usually use our PC - a Packard Bell we've had a few years but it's been fine. I still have Windows 7 loaded for a couple of reasons - my insulin pump software isn't compatible with anything else (they are planning an upgrade to W10 but if they release it as quickly as pump upgrades I should expect it about 2017 I think LOL - having said that their stuff is usually bullet proof in the finish )- but anyway since I can't stay alive without the pump and having the program makes certain things easier I'd much rather keep it if poss. We both use Internet Explorer as our Browser. I don't think I care whether it's IE or something else BUT ever since they invented the Internet it's the only browser I have ever used so I really don't have a clue how to change it (if it is that that's causing it)or what might be different when you use it. Or if it would work any better, given what's happened (read on please)

Two days ago I open the internet and there were no photos on my homepage, and none of the subheadings eg Financial News, Sport etc were there - just about the top 5 inches of the screen where the 'main/red hot' type news should appear, then the page was blank down to all the stuff under the horizontal line that's normally there.

I needed to look at a map so I tried to do that - Google maps wouldn't open cos apparently I didn't have JavaScript. Tried Mappy, the RAC, viaMichelin - all exactly the same thing. Why had I lost it?

Oh just load it again. Can't - my security settings won't let it. (I haven't knowingly changed them so WTF?)

So we disable Microsoft Security Essentials or rather we try to, apparently our security settings won't let us.

Yesterday I noted I had lost access to YouTube things people were posting and the nature of stuff on the forum had changed - eg when you type eg @Gromett - a box used to appear that I had to click to sort the 'Alert' - now no box. If I click 'Like' I get another screen asking me if I'm sure I like it? where I have to clicked Yes to do it (this has happened on my other forums too)

Any sensible ideas please?

OP
OP
sedge

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Oh and I tried Microsoft Help - Security - and the heading saying exactly that is there - but hardly anything else on the page at all - all the sub headings pages are exactly the same !

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It would be worth seeing if there is a recent restore point you can try. There is a help link from the Start button somewhere and ender "restore" in there and then select the bit about "restore your computer to an earlier point" or words to that effect. This will roll it back to how it was say a few weeks ago. You shouldn't lose any files doing this.

As an aside you do have a backup way of running your insulin pump if the PC expires?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If your life depends on that PC you are plain daft using it for anything else. Likewise anyone here would be equally daft giving you advice.

Buy a PC for Fun etc and get a local pro to de-louce that one.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Is it possible to access an alternative browser as you mentioned (e.g. Firefox, Google Chrome etc.) You can have several on you computer at the same time and can even have several open and in use at one time? It might help to tell if the problem is just with the IE browser.

Wyn

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
system restore and clear cookies from internet explorer are the first steps to use

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Is your IE up to date?
You can optimise it by clearing the cache. Have you run a virus scan or used something like Malwarebytres to see if something has hijacked the browser?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
@sedge I am sorry I can't advise you on this one. There are so many possible causes for this and advising without hands on would be risky. System restore is possibly the best advice I have seen on here and is relatively risk free.

I am not a windows person though so I couldn't in good conscious offer any further advice sorry.

OP
OP
sedge

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
LOL - 'someone' suddenly became helpful after I posted on here and System Restored! Knew he was, cos he called and asked me 'Was it alright last weekend?'. I would have had a go myself had that not been the case. I am honestly not in the habit of EVER clicking 'anything' - however sometimes one or other of the grandkids goes on it eg Grandad can I order so and so and you pay for it with your PayPal - I've got the money in my purse to give you - and their 3 1/2 yo sister does LOVE to sit as close to them as possible when they do that since she always has to be the centre of attention - and who knows what she may have decided to 'help' with? LOL She did something (pressing buttons cos the light was flashing) to the Ansafone a couple of years ago and it never worked again! Usually junk phone calls at that anyway - so we haven't bothered with one since!

Thanks all - it did the trick = though I'm still completely mystified what the heck caused it!

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
don't think anyone should play with you computer if it is so important to you, you can try a system restore, other than that get a competent professional to look at it for you, I run windows 10 and find it opens all my programs, as for upgrading from 7 to 10 I was not happy with that it messed up my system, fed up trying to get a good windows 10 upgrade I went and bought this new windows 10 laptop, hope you got a stand alone back up, don't get a cowboy to look at it,

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I believe it was fixed 8 months ago if you read the date on the thread

Join us or log in to post a reply.