compulsive tinkering ....am I alone

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by tambo, Aug 19, 2014.

1. tambo

tambo Read Only Funster

I'm a compulsive tinkerer , i can't remember a time when I wasn't ...i spend a silly amount of time tinkering with the motorhome and just wondered if others were the same ....my neighbours must wonder what I'm doing half the time but im always messing with it ......yet I've still a list of things to do on it

I don't think I could ever buy a new one I'd have nothing to do.

• Like Like x 2
  2. simbadog

simbadog Funster

You could buy a new one from S****, you'd have plenty to do on it then :rolleyes:

I'll get me coat :imoutahere:

• Like Like x 2
  3. chaser

chaser Funster

Ditto, I go into depression when iv finished one thing until I can find something else to mess with, my last thing iv put smoke and co2 alarms front and back now just because I saw some going cheap(y)

• Like Like x 2
  4. tambo

tambo Read Only Funster

Pmsl

5. chaser

chaser Funster

Always had old motors so never worried me to make holes here and there for whatever the latest thing is but when we first had this new to us last van I was a bit wary to make any changes to it , but once I got going it's back to old ways now , a shelf here , inverter there , another battery , alarms , mats even revamped the shower cubical , come to the conclusion now we are never going to swop this van, so can't hurt it's resale value whatever I do(y)

• Like Like x 4
  6. Bellini

Bellini Funster

I'm the same, but with Udo in storage a lot of the time my tinkering is restricted to when he's out and we're using him. Or just before a trip when he's at home.

The last trip saw three new LED strip lights installed, PunctureSafe put in 4 tyres (the rear inners need the outers out of the way and we weren't equipped for that at our last campsite...) and another coat of wax on the paintwork.

I find that these little improvements are worthwhile but also keep the fires of enthusiasm alive. I was the same with my Defender years ago.

• Like Like x 1
  7. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

Great if you can manage to tinker . I would love to except I know so little I have to rely on others to do it for me.
    A Scottish motorhome learning workshop would be great for me. :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Kool Kroozer

Kool Kroozer Funster

I am a self confessed tinkerer too, we bought new an i still tinker - you gotta have a tinker :LOL:

• Like Like x 1
  9. easygirl

easygirl Read Only Funster

I'm the same, always doing something, even when nothing really needs doing, must be the way we are wired up
    A mate of mine will buy a car, motorhome etc, and never touch it

• Like Like x 2
  10. tambo

tambo Read Only Funster

I just can't lose the modifying streak lol

In the last few months I've removed all the windows and tinted them, removed the old faded decals and replaced them, new rear shocks and airbag suspension, removed and resealed all roof vents ,fitted f1 style removeable steering wheel, fitted scooter rack , fitted boxes in the garage for carrying all accessories , it's being reupholstered next week, im now in the process of colour coding all the vents :p and I missed a set of alloy wheels on ebay last night ... have to say though it's looking good

• Like Like x 3
  11. Forester

Forester Funster

If anyone has run out of jobs on their MH I can find them plenty on mine and on my cars if they prefer. Form an orderly queue :)

• Like Like x 2
  12. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

How do you tint windows please? I'd love to have our tinted.

13. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

OP What a silly question :LOL:(y)

14. tambo

tambo Read Only Funster

It's quite easy depending on your windows the inside of mine are completely flat so easy to do

I just removed them from the van bought the film from eBay ..6mtr roll for £10
    And it's applied using soapy water

It took me about 2 hours to do all 6 of mine but that said I've done them on cars quite a few times

If your fairly good at diy you'll manage it otherwise there's many companies out there who will do it for you

Here's a before and after shot of mine 14074833168030.jpg 14081046796020.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  15. Moodybrook

Moodybrook Funster

When I'm thinking of what else to do I give her a polish, can you over polish ?? Does talking to her count towards being taken away in a straight jacket ?? :whistle:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

That's interesting as I thought it would only stick to glass and not plastic as our windows are plastic.
    Tried the link but it only brings me to the front page of ebay. What do you search for please?
    I have done it on our French windows on a previous house we had but they were glass.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  17. Frentchy

Frentchy

OH its Wonder full to know im not alone, I can "Come out" at last and not be Ostricaled, :)

18. tambo

tambo Read Only Funster

No it sticks to plastic too :)

Just search for window tinting film

• Like Like x 1
  19. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Tinted windows can make your van dark inside. You'll switch on your lights earlier which is bad for battery life.
    You will also miss some lovely sunsets.
    I also think tinted windows are antisocial from a point of portraying an aggressive image.
    If your other vehicle is a gangsta/footballer Range Rover Sport I can see the appeal.
    They can make your van look smart. We'd never have them again though, more downsides than upsides I'm afraid.

20. tambo

tambo Read Only Funster

Hasn't made mine darker nor have I missed any sunsets .....looking out from inside there's little difference

What it does do is add security because no one can see in so theifs don't know if your in or out , it also reduces fading on your upholstery , it cuts down heat inside the van which we were grateful for in france it also stops nosey folk watching your every move which are the only people who think it's anti social :)

• Like Like x 1