Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
We've just got back from Roadpro, Daventry after collecting our prize in the 12 volt makeover competition ran by MMM magazine. Great prize included:
  • 130W Solar Panel
  • 2 x 115Ah Banner Batteries
  • C-Tek 10amp Smart Charger
  • C-Tek Battery to Battery Charger
  • NASA Battery Monitor
  • Free Fitting
Heard an interesting tale whilst there which was that in a recent competition to win a motorhome, only 6 entries were received. This got me thinking about the whole competition issue and the odds against winning. For example, let's assume that MMM are running a competition to win a fancy dome sattellite system. Only motorhome owners are going to enter, which narrows the odds considerably. Of those only MMM readers are going to enter. Of those not everyone enters the competitions. Of those remaining many will already have a sattellite system with which they are happy. Then from the handfull who are still in the running, someone is likely to answer the question wrongly. Hey presto, there's a damn good chance we could win this thing. So let's hear it folks what's the best competition prize you've ever won?
Geoff.:thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Well done you. It's right about entries though as we already have (near enough) the equivalent so wouldn't have entered.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Well done - good prize:thumb:

I won a Teasmade in the school raffle when I was about 8.

Really handy it was:Doh:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Early on in my teaching career I confiscated a computer magazine from a kid who should have been getting on with his History lesson. While the class were working quietly I started thumbing through the mag and found a competition I liked the look of. I jotted down the entry details, handed the mag back to the kid at the end of the lesson with a stern frown, then sent off an entry. I won £50 worth of ZX Spectrum software. It turned up in a clear out the other day so I'm going to list it on eBay, where it still sells to Retro Gamers.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Back in the mid 1980's Ceefax started a weekly competition ... first time I entered I won 10x5 litre Dulux paint. At that time we were running a diy business with thousands of litres in stock :Doh:

The next week I entered again and won a heap of costume jewellery :RollEyes: ... I think others got to know about the competition after that as I didn't win any more. :cry:

I also used to enter competitions in our trade mags, winning various stock items including £5K padlocks, brass hose fittings and large quantity of timber mouldings.:thumb:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Years ago I used to regularly do competitions,but only those that didn't require a purchas other than my regular magazine or paper etc. I have won a food hamper-arrived just before our first holiday in a campervan. A Sony HiFi-I had to convince the memsahib that I hadn't been on a spending spree,the letter arrived the day after.
One of the last Channel hovercraft crossings.A satellite system from a competition years ago on the darkside.A Victron B2B charger.
Seems a lot but that was over the past 30 years and nothing in recent years,the last was a balloon flight for 2,but the OH has vertigo. The lottery has eluded me!
Still do them,but not as much-where there's hope.Bon chance:thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i won an omnistor awning in MMM many years ago. used to regularly win loads in christmas raffles but not entered any for some time now.

as for few entries, a friend of the family used to work for brook bond, the owners of pg tips and nescafe etc. he told us that many many prizes go unclaimed from promotions and prize draws. in those cases, the sales reps would be entered into a draw to distribute the prizes. one even got a new vw golf.

certainly worth entering competitions and prize draws

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back