Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
Looking to buy a VW Compass Calypso 2.5tdi would like as much info good or bad please, if anyone has one or has had one,?

looking at a 2001 model, later ones are on a Peugeot base , I only want the VW base.

Many thanks for your help.

Margaret

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
some friends had one for 5 or 6 years and travelled extensively in it. they loved it as it was slightly narrower. they had a few issues with leaks and furniture build quality, but as i say they really used the van. every weekend and 6 week european tour in summer. oh and a couple of weeks waiting on some engine part that failed that had to be sent from germany

make extra certain the engine, gearbox and running gear have been well maintained as the T5 has some reliability issues if not and parts are expensive. nowhere near as reliable as vw cars. just do a google search for vw t5 issues, but dont scare yourself too much

reader

Free Member
Apr 27, 2011
IO83rk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We had a 2006 on a VW, great motor which sold me on those 5 pot engines for economy and performance. The gear box was very flexible. We had n problems with the van however being our 1stmotorhome (changed From caravan) we misjudged the size so went bigger after18 months to get more space

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
The Calypso was a great van but give it a good going over with a quality dampmeter. Some had big issues with water ingress so check it out.
Good luck with your search.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
It's a great name Compass Calypso.

Sounds like a cocktail:thumb:

OP
OP
daisy mae

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
some friends had one for 5 or 6 years and travelled extensively in it. they loved it as it was slightly narrower. they had a few issues with leaks and furniture build quality, but as i say they really used the van. every weekend and 6 week european tour in summer. oh and a couple of weeks waiting on some engine part that failed that had to be sent from germany

make extra certain the engine, gearbox and running gear have been well maintained as the T5 has some reliability issues if not and parts are expensive. nowhere near as reliable as vw cars. just do a google search for vw t5 issues, but dont scare yourself too much

It isn`t the T5, I know about the problems with them, as I already have a T4 I want to stay with the T4 , no other base vehicle suitable for me , as I have Auto sleeper at the moment, cannot find what I want in that range either, both models seem to be elusive, not going older than 2000.as I want the 2.5tdi 102 bhp the same as I have now, getting 38- lower 40`s mpg

Many thanks for all replies.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ode
May 16, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
VW T4 Compass Calypso
Exp
Since 2007
I recently bought a 1999 T4 Compass Calypso, of very low mileage (36k) and a puzzling 6 former keepers over 16 years.
It is the VW T4 2.5 88bhp (blue i on grill badge).
I bought it blind, on the phone having taken a chance it was exactly as listed and shown in photos.
On arrival, I found a genuine original vehicle with a whole load of very minor issues. Nothing to scupper the deal.

The drive home revealed the two biggest issues, lack of power and horrendous noise from the cabinets in the back. The noise was enough to give a headache in a very short time.
A few cut up credit cards inserted into cupboard panel trims etc soon sorted the rattles (cannot believe any past owners had never attempted this, made a shocking difference), recently I added a custom cut slotted shelf to hold crockery, and magnets under the cutlery drawer to silence the complete set. Now very quiet.

The engine was a touch trickier, but relatively straightforward. The ECU got a remap along with a bolt on inter cooler from a 102bhp model. Air bags fitted to the rear instead of springs , controlled by a wireless Air management kit, I can level up on site as well as adjust ride height on the move. Power and handling is VERY good now, not feeling like steering a block of flats down a dirt track!! Really could do with 6 speed box now.

The low mileage and general good condition was enough to seal the deal. A 16 year old vehicle could be as rotten as a pear, or all of its interior worn out and damaged. I was lucky, no rot, or damage, just unused and unloved because of its silly faults.
I believe the silly faults caused it to be sold on. I have solved the petty problems and am making more improvements, upgraded water heater & water pump system.

Already after three months we have covered nearly 2k miles on outings and touring uk coastline, new forest etc. Love it. Already planning a Scotland tour, have confidence in going wild now.

The interior arrangement gives us much more room than our previous T4 Autosleeper Trident, with added loo/shower.
Only slight pain is setting up bed, but do have a choice of 2 x singles or a very large king size.

Its a easy to drive and park due to its low profile size, but barriers are still a problem, mine is around 9'6" tall and in addition has aerials and solar panels up there. Nowhere near as tall as a luton bedded model.

I went for a compass Calypso instead of the Autosleeper Clubman for a few reasons. Unfortunately for the Clubman, I thought the big windows made it look more like an icecream van.
Although the shell of a Clubman is completely sealed, mine has no water ingress issues and is relatively easy to maintain. The interior fittings of the Compass are more modern, brighter decor and newer feel. I have addressed cupboard build quality issues and made it more self sustainable by adding a solar panel and inverter too.

The VW chassis is the later long nose SWB model, which is well supported by most motor factors. Spares are abundant.
They appear to be holding good money, my last was bought for £8k and sold 8 years later for £8k. Puzzling, but VW do hold good price. At 16 years old , its still looks reasonably modern.

Maintenance is pretty straightforward on all of the interior fittings, an easy DIY repair vehicle.

If you get one hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
My first 'proper' Motorhome was the petrol version VW which had an LPG conversion with it. I loved the van and it was great only changing for something newer. To this day I always maintained the driving position was the best of any MH's I have had (7!!) and I could happily drive all day it was that comfortable.

NeilCompass

Free Member
Dec 10, 2017
Funster No
Hi there, I've just joined a few days ago as looking for a Calypso currently scowling through ads. I've had a couple of Bongos previously but need abit more space, sleeping 2 guys for motorsport events and weekends with the wife very occassionaly.
I was just looking for some friendly advise as I have never bought a proper motorhome before and wary of the damp risks on these.... there seem to be 3 or 4 on ebay and other sites at the mo, ranging from 12-15K seems to be the value for a sub 50K miler. I would prefer auto but people seem to put me off the gearbox as expensive to fix
I'm in surrey and just want to get something sorted in the new year to iron out issues before the spring, does anyone know of a professional who would spent time to assist me, I'd be happy to pay towards there time thanks Neil

Jackie Hyde

Free Member
Jan 27, 2019
Funster No
Looking to buy a VW Compass Calypso 2.5tdi would like as much info good or bad please, if anyone has one or has had one,?

looking at a 2001 model, later ones are on a Peugeot base , I only want the VW base.

Margaret

Hi Margaret, we have a VW 2001 compass calypso for sale, MOT until August 2019. Currently SORN. Contact for more details on; Jackie or Colin Hyde on 01536 204124 postcode: NN17

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Hi Margaret, we have a VW 2001 compass calypso for sale, MOT until August 2019. Currently SORN. Contact for more details on; Jackie or Colin Hyde on 01536 204124 postcode: NN17
the request was posted in september 2013

jackandy76

Free Member
Jul 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Compass Calypso

Margaret
Hi Margaret,

I have a 2001 Compass Calypso 2.5tdi that I think will be selling soon if you’re interested?

Many thanks

Andy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back