Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Yeh, just like other cities up and down the length of the UK:wink:

But one thing that has come across during the games is just how friendly the city is........I don't normally watch sporting events, but have thoroughly them from Glasgow.......Glasgow is "miles and smiles better"::bigsmile:
Our daughter and her fiance were at Hampden last night and she said the atmosphere was tremendous and I can't help thinking that Usain Bolt was enjoying it as well::bigsmile:
Oh yes indeed - that is why there was no mention of deep fried mars bars etc etcetera. Watched the relay last night and Usain Bolt ramped up what was already an electric atmosphere

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
It's a shame the weather went downhill, we're 120 miles south of Glasgow and it has been dry and sunny since mid-morning......even manager half an hour of "swing ball" in the garden(y)::bigsmile:
But it's starting to cloud over now:crying:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Oh yes indeed - that is why there was no mention of deep fried mars bars etc etcetera. Watched the relay last night and Usain Bolt ramped up what was already an electric atmosphere

Deep fried Mars bar.......yuck!:blush: Perhaps a haggis supper though...(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Deep fried Mars bar.......yuck!:blush: Perhaps a haggis supper though...(y)

Do deep fried mars bars really exist or are they an urban myth? Ok with the haggis though - liked the tongue in cheek Tunnocks tea cakes at the opening; fantastic bit of free advertising for them. Not quite the Olympics but a lot of good and different sports in the games so great to see them getting exposure on TV (y)

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I always thought it was an urban myth, but have a look at this:doh:
Broken Link Removed

Tunnocks has done well out of sales of kitchen accessories, I've got a Tunnocks tea towel. I read there was a rush on teacakes sales after the opening of the games::bigsmile:
........and our wedding cake was made by them almost 36 year ago::bigsmile:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Not a fan then?..........

Highly amusing, heard on the radio that the closing ceremony is supposed to feature a typical Saturday night in Glasgow, so can we expect lots of women in bare feet and inappropriately brief clothing plus lots of doner kebabs and chips ?? :wink:
Spot on. We are off to Glasgow Green shortly to join in entertainment and watch the closing ceremony. Ponchos and wellies maybe but the sun is out now. Just trying to dry off the now.

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
Spot on. We are off to Glasgow Green shortly to join in entertainment and watch the closing ceremony. Ponchos and wellies maybe but the sun is out now. Just trying to dry off the snow.

There, fixed that for you :)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I always thought it was an urban myth, but have a look at this:doh:
Broken Link Removed

Tunnocks has done well out of sales of kitchen accessories, I've got a Tunnocks tea towel. I read there was a rush on teacakes sales after the opening of the games::bigsmile:
........and our wedding cake was made by them almost 36 year ago::bigsmile:
We always have a stock of their caramel wafer bars. Daughter in law is type 1 and if she needs some quick sugar then they are so much quicker than heating the oil, preparing the batter etc for the mars bar.........(y)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Sorry, didn't my message get through? When I discovered John Barrowman was on I cancelled>

Whats he ever done to you ?? BUSBY:D

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Just to add to this, our son and daughter who both went to university in Glasgow are still paying off their student loans. Our son is now 30 and our daughter is 27:)
As for the perceived "free care for the elderly".......we were paying just under a £1000 per month to keep my Mum in a local nursing home before she died.

That was cheap,,my mother in law is paying £2700 per month. BUSBY:sick:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Seemingly Ford Kiernan who plays Jack Jarvis, had been invited to attend a BBC interview at the Pacific Quay, but he forgot about it and said he'd had a "senior moment" when the BBC phoned to ask where he was:LOL:

He then went on to say he was attending a rehearsal for Still Game's theatre show which is to be shown in Glasgow at a later date. He apologised profusely to the BBC and the interview had to be done over the phone.........:LOL:

Who is FORD KIERNAN ????? BUSBY:)

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011

Busby, sorry, my reply didn't go on as it should have.......but Mum-in-law died 12 years ago:( £2,700 per month for your Mum-in-law that's terrible....:eek: how can these nursing homes justify the cost? It's beyond me......when Bill's Mum was still alive she spent every day slumped in bed and sleeping all the time. She made no great demands on any of the staff at all........

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Busby, sorry, my reply didn't go on as it should have.......but Mum-in-law died 12 years ago:( £2,700 per month for your Mum-in-law that's terrible....:eek: how can these nursing homes justify the cost? It's beyond me......when Bill's Mum was still alive she spent every day slumped in bed and sleeping all the time. She made no great demands on any of the staff at all........

It would have been cheaper to have put ours on a cruise ship and sent her round the world., Seriously the costs are utterly ridiculous ..She had savings three years ago and now her house has been sold to finance her care. Best thing you can do is sell your house and hide your savings before your 65...we did but mother in law didnt. BUSBY.

OP
OP
tofo
Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Oh well that's it opening ceremony was better in my opinion

Closing ceremony feels dragged out

Kylie sounds better on cd

Think I need some beer goggles

Proper telly next week bloomin repeats I spose

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
It would have been cheaper to have put ours on a cruise ship and sent her round the world., Seriously the costs are utterly ridiculous ..She had savings three years ago and now her house has been sold to finance her care. Best thing you can do is sell your house and hide your savings before your 65...we did but mother in law didnt. BUSBY.

Would agree with you, we rented Mum-in-law's house to pay for her care when she went into the nursing home. But we always remember the words of our electrician, his Dad was in the same care home as Bill's Mum and was eating the same food and drink, yet he wasn't paying a penny whilst we were paying a £1000 a month. His advice was spend it and enjoy it whilst you can, because "they" will get their hands on it if you have any:(

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
God , didnt realise what a crap singer Kylie is..how does she fill stadiums ????? BUSBY;)

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I thought Dougie MacLean was good(y)........but Kylie is over-rated:(

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Oh well. Paid a tenner to the green thinking we were getting some entertainment. Apart from a great atmosphere all we got for our tenner was to watch the large screens. Couldnt even take a drink anywhere near the screen, more like cattle stuck in a pen if you wanted a drink. Wouldve been better staying at home and watching tv.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Oh well. Paid a tenner to the green thinking we were getting some entertainment. Apart from a great atmosphere all we got for our tenner was to watch the large screens. Couldnt even take a drink anywhere near the screen, more like cattle stuck in a pen if you wanted a drink. Wouldve been better staying at home and watching tv.

You would have been better going down the pub and missing it,,what rubbish. BUSBY...:D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back