Common Sense Rules for Wild Camping

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by ips, May 18, 2010.

1. ips

ips Read Only Funster

Going to try our 1st wildcamp soon. Lots of talk on the forum about "common sence rules apply" well anyone who knows me will know that I have never had any common sence :BigGrin: therefore what are these rules that one should abide too. ??

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I'm not a big fan of wilding in the UK but have done quite a bit in Spain and France..

First and foremost , be discrete, keep a low profile.. by that I mean, don't park up where it will annoy anyone or block their view.. ask yourself, if I were a local would I be annoyed ..?

Look for notices banning overnight parking or camping , and obey.

Don't park up with other wild campers, this will create a campsite

Don't put out awnings, windbreaks, table/chairs etc

Stay only one or perhaps two nights, if longer the 'locals' will notice which only draws unwelcome attention to you.

Don't build a camp fire.

I know it's obvious, but leave nothing behind except foot prints, take only memories..

Remember, what looks like a lovely place during the day MAY turn into something quite different after dark .. On arrival at chosen location, look out for rubbish , beer cans, used condoms... a sure sign that it will be noisy after dark.

On leaving, take not only your own rubbish but other rubbish you see laying about.. others may notice and this creates a good impression of motorhome owners.

This is only my view , others may add or disagree with it

3. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Hi, here is an extract on the excellent publication "The Motorhome Security Handbook" Sales of this book go toward the upkeep of this site. You really should have a copy.

4. lebesset

lebesset Read Only Funster

never forget the golden rule ...if you get bad vibes somewhere , move along

it isn't a matter of whether you are correct [ you will find you usually are ] , but even if in reality you were wrong and it would have been fine , YOU wouldn't be comfortable and at ease

5. derekfaeberwick

derekfaeberwick Read Only Funster

Just go by your gut feeling, if you really are a 'grumpy old git' then you should be just fine.:thumb:

6. ips

ips Read Only Funster

Thanks for all the info all sounds reasonable quite looking fwd to it

7. buttons

buttons Funster

I think it best to step back and look through the eyes of the locals. Your actions in wild camping will always be upsetting someone. Like you I would be the first to complain if throughout the summer months motor homes were parked at the end of my street or blocking my perfect view. If you have found an idyllic place to stay then so have another 100 of your fellow travellers. Discretion is the key word, if the locals don’t notice you then you should be ok.:Cool:

8. ips

ips Read Only Funster

The places we have in mind are not near propertys or on roads for me wild means wild. Lol

9. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

to me wild camping would be on a site, that would make me really wild:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

10. chas

chas Read Only Funster

Dont forget, the next best thing to wild camping IMO, are the quiet farm CL, safe, perhaps £4 a night, with the bonus of knowing your van is not going to get vandalized while you sleep. :thumb:

11. GregM

GregM Read Only Funster

We first wild camped a month or so back and have once again since then. Our first time was by accident as our planned night stop fell through and the one rule we stick to is :

'treat others as you would like to be treated'

It covers everything basically.

Do not let the odd scare story you may hear put you off, they are few and far between.

Our first time we was a bit wary but once settled down into our magazines/books we was just as relaxed (more) as we would be on a site.

12. rogerangie

rogerangie Read Only Funster

wild camping

I agree with all that has been said and endorse every word.
    If you are thinking of travelling abroad the freedom is fantastic!!
    People in villages and small towns wecome you, you will spend money!!
    You are a money bank to them, not a threat. It does make a difference.
    But of course, they are "foreign" and mostly HAPPY.

13. wp1234

wp1234

Agree with you there - wildcamping rules even in the UK , its what a motor home is for :thumb::thumb:

14. burybobz

burybobz Read Only Funster

Picked up our first Motorhome on Tuesday, did our first wildcamp on Friday night in the Peak District. (And Saturday too!) Found 2 delightful spots, far from the madding crowd & was very comfortable and liberating. Apart from the drunken couple swaying back to the local campsite who screamed "Taxdodgers!" at us :Rofl1: it was very quiet, beautiful scenery & of course we respected the countryside by keeping our 'camp' clean.
    Would definitely recommend it to anybody, and back up the advice of going with your gut instinct. Also, try to suss out the area earlier in the day, if it is a magnet for motorbikers etc. you are going to get a very noisy early alarm call! :Wink:

15. nicholsong

nicholsong Read Only Funster

I am a relative 'Newbie' but have been out for about 30 nights in UK and only 3 on site.

Although one needs to be aware of security, my priority, like many posters above, is not to infringe on locals.

My wild sites have been:-

On lanes at end of villages (make sure you leave room for farmer's tractor),

Entrances to farm fields, where crop cycle means farmer will not need access in next weeks.

Parking areas in small towns villages after 6pm - check with local cafe/pub.

Pub car parks, with permission in advance, - not refused on 5 occasions, but it was low-season.

Of course I have yet to try wild-camping on the Continent

However, for me I already think this will be my preferred style - the thought of having to book a site in advance and having to stick to a schedule is abhorrent to me.

[Small example:- On my boat in small island in Greece, girlfriend says "do we have to leave today?" Answer "No, this is not a ferry!" Result - Happiest 4 days of my life! ]

Tip, if you are going to visit a place, walking area etc, scout-out the possible wild-camping spots on the way, so that you can back-track there afterwards if you want.

Just go where you want, do what you wish and enjoy the freedom.

Good Travelling!

Geoff