Comfortmatic gearbox

Discussion in 'Base Chassis Section' started by Squeezy, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Squeezy

Squeezy Funster

I'm about to order a new motorhome and can't decide whether to go for an automatic. Can anyone who has the Comfortmatic gearbox give me their views on it, please?

2. Electraglide

Electraglide Funster

Ditto, what engine are you going for?

3. Sheddy

Sheddy Funster

We have the 3L engine with Comformatic and cruise control, much better and a lot less stressful driving than our old 6 speed, 2.3L manual on a Fiat base. :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

No need to dither, get it and you won't regret it. There might be a bit of a learning curve but you will very quickly get used to it and be embarrassed you asked such a silly question! :):):)

Edit: There is one case where it wouldn't be a good idea - this is if you want to park it on a steep drive. You can reverse it up steep hills but you need confidence as you have to do quickly and not let the clutch slip.

5. Bill_OR

Bill_OR Funster

It's a no-brainer! The Comformatic is well worth it in my opinion. If I change MH then it will be a mandatory requirement.
    Bill
    P.S. I have it with the 150 engine on my 3850Kg A-T Apache

6. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Blimey.....have you not driven one to see if you like it?

7. Squeezy

Squeezy Funster

Yes, I have had a test drive, of course. I'm not that daft. However, I'm interested in the views of people who have experienced it over a period of time. In answer to a previous question, the engine it comes with is the 130 (I don't think there's any choice), on a Bessacarr Hi-Style 454.

8. Scotties

Scotties Funster Life Member

Hi, will never buy another manual box for all the reasons above and much easier for swimbo as well.

9. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 2
  10. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I don't think the engine size matters as unlike a traditional automatic there is no power loss. It might change gear a little more often, but that would be all. My 3 litre can chug up hills at 1500 rpm and a smaller engine might need to change down, but this is no effort - it does it itself. :)

There are times, such as in hilly country, when you might want to knock it into manual but you don't have to. Also, there are occasions when manually changing up or down one gear is an advantage, for example when going down hill with no throttle and it holds a lower gear than you think it should.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Squeezy

Squeezy Funster

Thanks to everyone for their replies. You're right, Andy, I should have searched previous threads before posting.:unsure:

12. davidallan

davidallan Funster

I have only done a few hundred miles so far..New Tribute -[upgraded free to a 150] engine
    Great to drive & does it all itself Unless YOU interupt the normal process in Auto mode. After driving Auto gearbox's for 50 yrs now they are nothing like what was around even just a few years ago....Thank goodness !
    Bought untried & unseen from a Auto-Trail dealership nearly 300 miles away....Delivered to our home
    However we did plenty of Research ., as you should with many many reviews obtained & taken on board etc.. So far so good (y)
    Also., If you are suffering from any age related problems that might get worse over time ? THEN do go for an AUTOMATED gearbox & possibly Future proof yourself a little - Njoy:)

• Like Like x 3
  13. musson

musson Funster

3.0 litre with comformatic works great would not have manual again,does about same mpg for info.

14. Gizmouk

Gizmouk Funster

We have the comformatic with 3ltr engine, and love it. Cruises lovely on the motorway, and loads of torque when attacking the inclines in the Highlands.

• Informative Informative x 1