Comfort or AIB insurance

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Fragle, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Fragle

Fragle Funster

Sept 1st is closing in fast and thoughts are turning to insurance for the new motorhome. The 2 best quotes are from Comfort and AIB. Thanks to the forum I contacted Nigel at AIB and the quote is slightly better than comfort. Unsure on how many miles we will cover going for 9000 to cover first year excitement:inlove:. both have good euro and breakdown so I suppose it's down to customer service. Any more advice would be helpful:)

2. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

AIB as far as I know are brokers, so may well be placing you with Aviva, who also cover comfort..
    Might be worth asking the question if it is the same..

Mine not due till end of year and currently with MH Facts, again who use Aviva.. I will get AIB to quote me before renewal.

• Like Like x 1
  3. arao99

arao99 Funster

I had a quote from AIB, they will not send you details of the policy till you buy it, I bought a policy from them which was cheaper than MH Facts but when it arrived the breakdown cover was not as good as MH facts so I returned it and got a fully refund. I am now with back with MH Facts :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fragle

Fragle Funster

Think your right because both are very similar. Except for funster discount(y)

5. Fragle

Fragle Funster

Think I'll get quote from them as well before we decide. They do seem quite popular. I'm amazed at the different prices so far. Caravan club the most expensive almost double(n) Always used them for the caravan so time to change I think:)

6. PP Bear

PP Bear Funster Life Member

7. New Dawn

New Dawn Funster

We went with comfort insurance. So far no probs. customer service have been brilliant. (y)(y)(y)

• Like Like x 1
  8. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

I keep hearing that AIB won't send you any details when they quote unless you buy the policy. This sounds like a dodgy pressure selling technique to me - a percentage of people won't bother to cancel if/when they find out things aren't what they expected. Apologies to AIB if this isn't the case but I can't think of any other reason for doing this when every other insurance company or broker I've ever dealt with sends you everything as a matter of course when they quote.
    Unless someone can come up with a reasonable answer or they change their practice I don't think I will ever even ask them to quote for me.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Fragle

Fragle Funster

They said its to do with price matching I think. You then find it more difficult to compare(n)

10. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

So a dodgy pressure selling technique then. Thought so.

11. Fragle

Fragle Funster

Seems like it. Just been looking through e mail from comfort with full details of policy ( horizon advantage ) through aviva. Think I've answered my own question:happy:

12. Eyeinthesky

Eyeinthesky Read Only Funster

We are with Comfort...fair price and good service. No complaints at all. I like the way they send everything through immediately on .pdf files so you can print off your own certificate prior to them coming through the post.

We have never claimed though, I guess that's what it's all about.

• Like Like x 1
  13. CJB

CJB Funster

I am currently with Staveley Head last year they beat everyone on price for me, they use Enterprise Motorhome Insurance.

• Like Like x 1
  14. makems

makems Funster Life Member

Just renewed with AIB.
    Comfort £827 excl legal protection
    AIB. £577 incl legal protection.
    Wasn't a difficult decision.
    Safe term were around the same price as AIB but had a stupid restriction whereby I could not keep the van at home for more than 36 hours (normally it is in a storage compound). It takes me usually 3 or 4 days to load or unload for our winter trip so that ruled them out.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Cardeau

Cardeau Funster

I moved from Comfort to Aib this year. My only concern is the recovery offered by Aib compared to AA Safeguard from Comfort. Hopefully i'll never have to test it!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Fragle

Fragle Funster

So far I have all the details of comfort but Aib have not returned call. Disappointed really(n)

17. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

just got a quote from comfort as supposed to be well priced! a staggering 200 quid more than Safeguard. price of a london postcode I guess :cautious:

18. Phill D

Phill D

wow thats interesting it was reverse for me Safeguard were over £200 more.

i think they make it up as they go along!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

I keep seeing post with how good they are :) Sooner my wife retires and we move to south coast the better!lol

anyway safeguard better for those who import as they offer 30 days insurance on vin plate, other don't at all, a few only offer 14 days. not enough time for that bunch of know hopers at the dvla!:cautious:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Dogsense

Dogsense Funster

We are with Comfort this first year with our MH, on Aviva (Horizon Advantage) 6000 miles, will expire 28/3.
    The renewal offer for 6000 miles £340, 8000 £375, 10000 £400, unlimited £490. + to add to all £58 RAC UK& EU.
    Got quote from AIB for same milages £397, £423, £472, £558. + £58 RAC.
    SAFEGUARD QUOTE FOR 365 days unlimited £857 included Rac/AA. UNACCEPTABLY EXPENSIVE.

When spoke with Comfort & AIB, the problem arose that each broker explained in different way the meaning of the 8 months restriction.
    COMFORT - 8 months Maximum usage of the MH, UK & EU in total during the insured year. (while keeping the house and not letting)
    AIB - 8 months maximum travel to EU in one journey or multiples journeys, with 365 days usage of the MH (While keeping the house and not letting).

Both policies are with Aviva and both have the same wording

Long term Touring and Full Timing
    Use of Your Motor Caravan for eight months or more (whether as a single trip or a series of trips) in any one year will be treated (and rated) as long-term touring. If, in addition, you sell or let your UK property you will be treated (and rated) as full-timing.

Does anybody know which version (Comfort or AIB) is the correct one?