Comfort-matic Alarm Souning (1 Viewer)

Jun 22, 2014
Great Totham
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015
The alarm that goes off after it goes in neutral after a while if standing still. Is that just to tell you that the van is in neutral or is there some other more sinister reason for this buzzer?

I ask as today the battery went flat and I was running it for a while after I'd got it started but if you leave it goes into neutral and alarm sounds.

Cheers

John

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
Yes it's to warn you that you have left the vehicle in neutral. In the 'Parking your vehicle' section the Fiat manual states "IMPORTANT NEVER leave your vehicle with the gearbox in neutral (N)."
I always get told off by the system as my natural instinct is to shift out of gear before turning off the engine!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
What do you mean by "goes into neutral" ? To put it in neutral you have to move the lever across to the right and then push it up. If you don't do this it is like sitting in gear with your foot on the clutch.
However, the buzzer does have a mind of its own. From memory it can go off if you have it in neutral with the engine running and you open a door.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
John and Jo
Jun 22, 2014
Great Totham
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015
What do you mean by "goes into neutral" ?

if i leave it in gear,after a short period it goes into neutral by itself ...the manual states it does this after 3 mins ...then the alarm sounds.

I wanted to understand if this alarm was something more than just telling you it was now in neutral ...i.e ok to leave it running.

yes it does also go off when the door is open and engine running.

from manual
With the vehicle at a standstill, engine run-
ning and (1), (2) or (R) gear engaged, the
system turns on the buzzer and automat-
ically shifts the gearbox to neutral (N)
when:
❒ the accelerator and/or brake pedals are
not operated for at least 3 minutes;
❒ the brake pedal is pressed for longer
than 10 minutes;
❒ the driver’s door is opened and the ac-
celerator and brake are not operated
for at least 1.5 seconds;
❒ a fault has been detected in the gear-
box.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Good question - as a new comfortmatic owner, I'm also keen to know the answer. The warning buzzer often catches me out.

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
The alarm indicates that the gearbox is in a different condition than the gear-lever shows. So when the machinery puts it into neutral (when the door is opened or it's been idling too long), the gear lever is still in 'in-gear' position. The alarm will stop if you move the gear lever to neutral.

Reactions: DBK
Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
But I assume this alarm isnt idicating any harm is being done to there gearbox or whatever.
No, stop the alarm by moving the gear lever and it will sit there all day. In neutral it's no different to a manual box in neutral.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
But I assume this alarm isnt idicating any harm is being done to there gearbox or whatever.
I think @Cavs is spot on and no harm should come of it, the thing is shifting into neutral to prevent harm.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back