Comfort insurance deal breaker (1 Viewer)

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Been doing a bit of phoning round to get quotes for the MH.

Rang Comfort, went thro the usual questions, came to;

"Where is it kept at night"? "On our drive, behind locked gates under a street light, with a camera on it" said I. "Good" they said, then they hit me with, "If it is kept for more than 36 hours, NOT on your drive, behind locked gates under a street light, with a camera on it you must inform us"

"Well", I said, "If we got back home at 1am, for instance, I would leave it on the road not bother putting it on the drive, but go straight to bed and put it on the drive next morning". (we are on a quiet estate road)

"Sorry, it's not covered overnight ON A ROAD unless your camping in it"!!!!
they replied.

"What about the 36 hours away from the drive then?" said I

"That means at another STORAGE location" they said.

So theoretically, if I was going on a trip down South, decided to call into my Brothers house in Grantham and he let us stay in his spare room overnight, then the MH is NOT covered by insurance while it is on the ROAD in front of his house as we are not sleeping in it and it is not in storage. They want it to either be occupied, or on the drive!!

Needless to say, won't be using Comfort, but if any of you are, you might want to be aware of the above.

Jandek

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythmn
Exp
:thumb:
Also got a good deal with AIB (Darren).:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Recently had the builders in they needed to put scaffolding up for one week, so had to move the MH onto the road outside our house, I phoned Comfort they said they would not normally insure if it was parked on the road, but because I was a loyal customer they would insure for 7 days for an additional premium of £36 ! (£1877 p/a)!!!!:Angry::Angry:
On renewal I shall go elsewhere, already moved the toad policy to the C & CC.:thumb:

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Had a similar issue with ours. If I declared it kept in a garage then its not covered on the drive, but if declred kept on the drive it made no difference to the premium.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Recently had the builders in they needed to put scaffolding up for one week, so had to move the MH onto the road outside our house, I phoned Comfort they said they would not normally insure if it was parked on the road, but because I was a loyal customer they would insure for 7 days for an additional premium of £36 ! (£1877 p/a)!!!!:Angry::Angry:
On renewal I shall go elsewhere, already moved the toad policy to the C & CC.:thumb:

I'm surprised they'll cover small amphibians at all - they have a nasty habit of disappearing.:ROFLMAO:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
so! what happens if you park it on the roadside ( cos theres barriers on the local car park ) walk into the shops only to return to find it nicked or damaged!

covered? or not covered?

i am with comfort and have to call them to make a change to my policy i will ask more about this...

OP
OP
Sandancers
May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Exp
Several years now
so! what happens if you park it on the roadside ( cos theres barriers on the local car park ) walk into the shops only to return to find it nicked or damaged!

covered? or not covered?

i am with comfort and have to call them to make a change to my policy i will ask more about this...

It's just the OVERNIGHT bit they don't like, but define overnight?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
just spoke to comfort on a policy changed and asked for clarification on this point.

they were clear that its all to do with the main storage location and if that changes for more than 36 hrs they want to know.
i asaked if i parked on the road side when away from home and left the vehicle unattended for several hours what was the position? the reply..

if you are using the vehicle away from home and leave it unattended, parked on the road it is deemed you are using the vehicle and its covered.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
When I was checking quotes for my insurance this year I spoke to comfort and was asked were I would be keeping the motorhome. I said on my drive and the cheeky sod went on to google earth street view to see if I had a driveway:Eeek:

Then she queried if I could get a motorhome on it with my land rover already
there, needless to say they didn't get my business :Doh:

Jun 22, 2012
Ebbw Vale Gwent
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9048df A class
Exp
seven
Hi Darren

Please can you enlighten me, who is AIB and do you have there number.

Regards
Ray

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Darren

Please can you enlighten me, who is AIB and do you have there number.

Regards
Ray

Jim our leader did a thread on it a couple of weeks ago mentioning they would do good deal for funsters.
Their number is 02380268351 mention Motorhome fun and you get a good deal.
They sorted my policy with Aviva at a very reasonable price.:thumb:

The truck

Free Member
Mar 28, 2014
Lee on Solent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
just spoke to comfort on a policy changed and asked for clarification on this point.

they were clear that its all to do with the main storage location and if that changes for more than 36 hrs they want to know.
i asaked if i parked on the road side when away from home and left the vehicle unattended for several hours what was the position? the reply..

if you are using the vehicle away from home and leave it unattended, parked on the road it is deemed you are using the vehicle and its covered.

If your motor caravan is in storage, this policy section will continue to apply when
a) Your motor caravan is stored at your private
address; or
b) Yourmotorcaravanisstoredontheprivate
driveway of a close friend or relative, provided that it forms part of their property (subject to acceptance of postcode)
c) YourmotorcaravanisstoredataCASSOA storage facility
d) Your motor caravan is stored at a non-CASSOA storage location that has been approved by us

Storage seems to be defined as outside of your custody or control for more than 36 hours. My interpretation would be that leaving the vehicle in the road whilst staying with a friend overnight would be OK. It's the definition of custody and control which is in question. Leaving it in the road adjacent to your friend's house while you flew to the Canaries for a week would not be covered. Leaving it in the road while you are staying with your friends for a week and using it on a daily basis or being near it on a daily basis would appear to me to be covered.

The devil is always in the detail.:Doh:

The truck

Free Member
Mar 28, 2014
Lee on Solent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Possibly the same insurance company.

Jim our leader did a thread on it a couple of weeks ago mentioning they would do good deal for funsters.
Their number is 02380268351 mention Motorhome fun and you get a good deal.
They sorted my policy with Aviva at a very reasonable price.:thumb:

Comfort is underwritten by Aviva.

May 3, 2008
North Wales
Funster No
MH
A class Carthago Chic I47
Exp
34 years
Trem,

Do you have a proactive tracker fitted ?, alongside the vehicle's immobiliser, and with comprehensive insurance our camper attracts a 44% discount, another 2.5% for MotorhomeFun membership, and a further 7.5% taken off for less than 5000 miles travelled in 12 months.

Except for when we are driving the tracker is switched on all the time, we are monitored 24 hr Europe-wide, while we sleep the internal motion sensors are switched off.

Our camper new at Aug 2008 has these fitted, valued at £60,000 last year we paid

£513.30 premium, with £300 excess, plus £100 excess for windscreen cover
(to replace £4,000 minimum) we are 71, 72 and we both drive.

UK Breakdown assistance or recovery,
24 hr 365 day helpline, any weight, any length (this is crucial for big vehicles).
Comprehensive European cover for up to 9 months. See website for more detail.

We insured online with CaravanGuard
www.caravanguard.co.uk

Our tracker is from Phantom
www.phantom.co.uk

1 Proactive-Tracker £499 fitted + 8.99 a month by D/D or :-
2 £99 annual cover
3 £349 for 5 year cover

Apologies for being long-winded, it has taken many years and several whoopsies dealing with our cash flow while buying vehicle insurance, more out than in, but then I never could resist a challenge.

Good luck and Happy travels.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
safeguard insure for on the road if that helps

and as for trackers, get Eddie Vanbitz to fit one for you, its nowhere near as expensive as the phantom

Last edited:

mapa

Free Member
Sep 16, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
I've long since learned that being honest with insurance companies is a futile exercise. I lie through my teeth to get the best deal. If it got stolen would I lie to the police? Of course I would. I'm an ex copper so i know the system and its a paperwork exercise. Get a tracker fitted, look after your keys and add security systems. The scrotes will look elsewhere if the hassle is too great. I've dealt with 2 stolen MHs both had trackers and both were found hidden up "cooling off".

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
popcorn.gif

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Just been on to the phone to Comfort to put the mileage up on the Motorhome after the Morocco trip, and asked as others have done and was told as long as it is 36 hours you are covered if you are parked elsewhere (like outside OP brother in laws)

Also asked if we were parked up on a car park and went shopping are we covered so yes we do seem to be alright as long as we don't go over the 36 hours.

OP
OP
Sandancers
May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Exp
Several years now
Well, finally got the insurance sorted !!! What a drama !

AiB, tho very pleasant to deal with could not come anywhere close to the quotes from Caravan Guard or Safeguard.

I rang Caravan Guard to recheck details and again asked the questions. "What if it is left outside our house overnight because we got home in the middle of the night and couldn't be bothered to put it on drive till next morning"? NOT COVERED ! "What if I am visiting my brother down south and leave it outside his house while I slept in a bed in his house"? NOT COVERED !

So Caravan Guard got binned.

Safeguard said that they would be OK with the above scenarios as long as it was only an occasional thing. So they got my business. Much less draconian than other insurance companies.

Final bill was in the order of £420 including UK and Euro breakdown assistance, which is not too bad.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I agree with most of what's been said. I have just spent the last few days getting quotes for our renewal and what a fiasco that turned out to be :whatthe:

I always thought that 'on the drive' was OK………….. but it turns out my parking area (private space for 12 cars with the other neighbour/owners in NOT acceptable :whatthe:

Comfort just said a flat NO! As they are underwritten by Aviva then AIB will be the same.

C&CC……………THREE times the price!

Caravan Guard….quite good but not enough for me

Safeguard……….excellent! but I don't need the breakdown cover and 'new for old' expires at 15000 miles (already done over 10000)

Caravan Club……….PERFECT………that WAS a surprise :whatthe: They turned out to be the most competitive, give me all the cover I need and include 'new for old' for another year with no mile limit:Smile:

Otherwise I would probably have gone with Safeguard again.

Insurance……….it's a funny old world innit?

:Smile:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I agree with most of what's been said. I have just spent the last few days getting quotes for our renewal and what a fiasco that turned out to be :whatthe:

I always thought that 'on the drive' was OK………….. but it turns out my parking area (private space for 12 cars with the other neighbour/owners in NOT acceptable :whatthe:

Comfort just said a flat NO! As they are underwritten by Aviva then [HI]AIB will be the same.[/HI]

C&CC……………THREE times the price!

Caravan Guard….quite good but not enough for me

Safeguard……….excellent! but I don't need the breakdown cover and 'new for old' expires at 15000 miles (already done over 10000)

Caravan Club……….PERFECT………that WAS a surprise :whatthe: They turned out to be the most competitive, give me all the cover I need and include 'new for old' for another year with no mile limit:Smile:

Otherwise I would probably have gone with Safeguard again.

Insurance……….it's a funny old world innit?

:Smile:

Re AIB AFAIK they use all 12 motorhome underwriters and are not tied to just one or two. This is why I suggest you call them last. Most of the well known motorhome insurance companies use just one underwriter!

Sift

Free Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ringwood, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2014 :O
Another +1 for Nigel at AIB but I haven't actually looked to see if the same condition might apply to my own policy.

Cheers,
Lee.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Re AIB AFAIK they use all 12 motorhome underwriters and are not tied to just one or two.

Sorry Jim, I was making an assumption :Blush:

As it happens the 90 day abroad and 1 year new for old was a limit for me tho' :Sad:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi all,

Based on what I read on here (and elsewhere), yesterday, I phoned Comfort and spoke to one of their managers about it. (Strangely enough, his parents have exactly the same MH as us, so he knew the subject vehicle and the insurance needs).
Comfort currently have it insured as being stored in a secure CASSOA Gold registered storage site, however, I currently have it on the driveway at home, as I am doing bits and bobs over several days. He clarified this new policy ruling which apparently came into force about ten months ago, (news to me then), as they got stung but A.N. Other policy holder.
I asked for them to give me a quote for storing it at home on the driveway instead, then Rita and I would make a decision.
Today they phoned back, and due to the postcode, the discount is the same, so no change in the premium. :
That's the good news. :Smile:
The bad news is, :Sad: that if I take it off the driveway and put it into the secure Gold storage site, for more than 36 hours, (without informing them) it's not covered!

WHAT? :whatthe: ?:whatthe: ?:whatthe: ?

They've got to be absolutely barking, as one fellow MH'er put it to me.

Regards,

Jock.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
How do the insurance Co know when you park up for your 36 hours ????

That's a good point! They won't know unless you have to make a claim. If you're honest and upfront and ask the question, then you seem to become a target and "under suspicion" because you've raised awareness of a potential situation:Doh:

Sometimes it doesn't do to be too honest.......

Bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back