Comfort ins breakdown cover (1 Viewer)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
when i used comforts breakdown cover (rac) last week the guy on the phone said that if they can't get me going they would have to get their commercial truck out because I was over 3 1/5 ton, fair enough I thought but then said I would have to pay for that..! I haven't been able to look at my documents untill now and can find nothing on it but it appears they have not sent me the policy booklet (e-mail) which I think it may be in there.

Thankfully the rac got me going. This would be a worry abroad if I had to be recovered.

Does anybody know about this or have a booklet ...?

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Hi - as far as I know (not very far admittedly!) Comfort only do insurance, not breakdown cover, although I suppose they could offer RAC as an extra. RAC are more famous for their Arrival scheme started with the C&CC club.

Sounds like you need to double check exactly what you've bought/paid for (y)

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
when i used comforts breakdown cover (rac) last week the guy on the phone said that if they can't get me going they would have to get their commercial truck out because I was over 3 1/5 ton, fair enough I thought but then said I would have to pay for that..! I haven't been able to look at my documents untill now and can find nothing on it but it appears they have not sent me the policy booklet (e-mail) which I think it may be in there.

Thankfully the rac got me going. This would be a worry abroad if I had to be recovered.

Does anybody know about this or have a booklet ...?

@Smith and Sharp

I took out ins with them on 12th incl breakdown...

I seem to think it says any size weight in bold on one of docs...

If you pm an email... i'll send policy doc to you

John T

Edit:

IMG_3607.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Hi - as far as I know (not very far admittedly!) Comfort only do insurance, not breakdown cover, although I suppose they could offer RAC as an extra. RAC are more famous for their Arrival scheme started with the C&CC club.

Sounds like you need to double check exactly what you've bought/paid for (y)
Comfort ins offer a bolt on breakdown cover but only at the time of taking out the insurance with them. You can't buy the breakdown separately or afterwards. I tried and they said they'd have to cancel the insurance, arrange a part refund and then start afresh to add it.

As far as I'm aware, if they send a breakdown mechanic in a normal size van who tries to get you going before then requesting a bigger recovery truck to take you away if you're over 3,5t.
There shouldn't be a charge for the heavy truck as that's what you've paid your initial fee for to be recovered.

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
@Smith and Sharp

I took out ins with them on 12th incl breakdown...

I seem to think it says any size weight in bold on one of docs...

If you pm an email... i'll send policy doc to you

John T

Edit:

View attachment 157445

Thanks John, I have that too. This is what's confusing me as I thought I was covered but it was the rac control centre that told me I would have to pay for the commercial recovery, perhaps he got it wrong. I will call comfort on Tuesday and get confirmation and post results here..

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Thanks John, I have that too. This is what's confusing me as I thought I was covered but it was the rac control centre that told me I would have to pay for the commercial recovery, perhaps he got it wrong. I will call comfort on Tuesday and get confirmation and post results here..

Look at pic of letter I got... (in above post)... it states it there in black and white... .. any size..
I guess you need to "explain"... to RAC when chatting to em!..

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Look at pic of letter I got... (in above post)... it states it there in black and white... .. any size..
I guess you need to "explain"... to RAC when chatting to em!..

That kind of depends on the OP having the same level of cover as you ;)

RAC do at least 3 different levels of cover and only x1 of the three that I looked at covered unlimited weight. Checking or asking sounds safest. ;)

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
That kind of depends on the OP having the same level of cover as you ;)
RAC do at least 3 different levels of cover and only x1 of the three that I looked at covered unlimited weight. Checking or asking sounds safest. ;)

@Vanman But not Comfort... its all or nothing re their breakdown offer... if you take it.. you get anysize... (y)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
As far as I can see on my comfort insurance we have Horizon Comprehensive advantage breakdown which covers Europe and any weight.

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I spoke to Comfort today and they said that recovery over 3.5t is covered and free within the policy.

They stated that the RAC call handler was mistaken or unawares of comforts policy with them....

That's a relief....

Apr 23, 2015
berkshire
Funster No
MH
autocruise gleneagle
Exp
since 2005
We were with Comfort last year and have just had our renewal at the same price. We were not asked about weight...

Apr 23, 2015
berkshire
Funster No
MH
autocruise gleneagle
Exp
since 2005
Comfort do offer breakdown. I asked what the price was to add it to the Insurance and it was cheaper than adding European breakdown to our RAC Arrival....

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Comfort do offer breakdown. I asked what the price was to add it to the Insurance and it was cheaper than adding European breakdown to our RAC Arrival....
Yes we paid £60 for full European breakdown

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
Comfort would insure my 2016 model. Reg 2017 swift with fitted tracker (7) cat standard fitting but not for theft apparently it requires a 5 or 6 a fitted rolling immobiliser whatever that is doesn't count no answer from swift why they sell a uninsurable vehicle

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Comfort would insure my 2016 model. Reg 2017 swift with fitted tracker (7) cat standard fitting but not for theft apparently it requires a 5 or 6 a fitted rolling immobiliser whatever that is doesn't count no answer from swift why they sell a uninsurable vehicle
Comfort only require a tracker if insuring for over £75k, didn't need one on my new Hymer.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
no answer from swift why they sell a uninsurable vehicle

It's not uninsurable.

One company chooses not to insure it with the security configuration you currently have. Not the same thing at all and even they will insure it if you install the security devices they require.

If you don't want to do what they ask then use a different company that doesn't require the same security. If you have to pay more with that company then tough.

A mistake a lot of people seem to be making at the moment is installing security systems based on dealer advice (usually the advice is to install whatever they're currently getting the best commission on) without consulting their insurer first. It doesn't matter what the dealer suggests or recommends. The only opinion that matters is that of your insurer.

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
Thanks for the replies I will try again tomorrow very much appreciated

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun