Comfort break for the dog

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by sylvester1954, Mar 19, 2016.

1. sylvester1954

sylvester1954 Funster

Just taking our dog on her first long trip to France and wondered how many hours would you travel between comfort breaks for the dog taking into account normal health and fitness for her.

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

The same time we take a break.. which is every couple of hours normally..

• Like Like x 6
  3. moulin 87

moulin 87 Funster

With our 8 yr old Springer if she's had a walk or a run in the garden before hand then the wife needs a comfort break before she does!!! We wouldn't travel more than 4 hours....When she was younger then perhaps no more than 3 hours...

4. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hi.
    No set time,we stop when she tells us........ True LOL.
    Tea Bag
    Edit. All joking aside,she is old and got/was a bit leaky,but thanks to the vet and "Urilin"40mg/ml. She can carry on quite normaly until we stop for a meal break or look-see at some beauty spot,where i take her off on a jaunt,while a meal is being prepared
    Obviously... You would have to check with your vet first,if your growler gets these symptoms,but the change was amazing and all it takes is to put 6 drops (Dosage may vary!!) onto the main meal and sorted .

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  5. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

With mine it depends on the weather: if it's raining they'll hold it up to 12 hours or so. If it's fine they go when we go.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Allanm

Allanm Funster

We have 2 dogs, we stop every couple of hours or so, then we all get a break. I have driven for 6 hours without stopping with the dogs asleep, it was doable, but I wouldn't want to do it often.
    Generally, the dogs will let you know when they want to go out, just like at home.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

It's not good for you to keep going for that length of time without stretching your legs, regardless of whether you feel you need a break ... you can actually get deep vein thrombosis from driving, not just on planes. Better to have a break every couple of hours just to get up and let your circulation get going a bit, even 5 minutes is better than nothing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd Funster

I agree with those who say that a comfort break should be when we take one. That is unless your dog struggles but, You'll know your own dog.

We used to head for Carmarthenshire from Ayrshire monthly & we tended to stop just once, Keele services being roughly the half way mark & the dogs were quite happy with that. Of course this could be very different if whoever was driving felt tired, then common sense must apply.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. maxi77

maxi77 Funster

We tend to stop every 2-3 hours and this is fine. When we sailed we had a dog which would not pee on the boat unless really desperate (dogs are naturally clean animals and do not foul their homes and the boat was her home) and would regularly last 24 hours without complaint despite encouragement to relieve herself

10. My Dog Likes Fishing

My Dog Likes Fishing Funster Life Member

I'm a bloke with a bladder like a tea bag especially after a costa coffee large one so our dog gets more than enough toilet stops. Not just toilet stops though is it. Long journeys can be stressful for pets so the more stops the more pleasant it can be for them.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Littlewheels

Littlewheels Funster

image.jpeg
    Love it!!! We got one exactly the same, I often wonder if I'm on the correct end of the lead. We don't want to go out but feel we must and they won't have it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

It seems all long dogs are the same. I've had a Lurcher, two Greyhounds, and now two Whippets. They were/are all the same. They walk round puddles on the pavement and if you try to leave the house when it's raining you get the 'you must be joking' look just before they turn round to head away from the door. If it's raining when we get up the Whippets stay in bed until they hear it stop then they immediately ask to go out.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Keypresser

Keypresser Funster

2 hours for our Lhasa Apso, so lvong as there is a bit of grass by the roadside she wees on demand, just like the wife!!!

14. JFD

JFD Funster

We have travelled to and from family in Switzerland for several years with our two doggies, and we always stick to a two hour stint of driving, with a 20 minute break for the dogs and us! So far, no accidents in the car, apart from the one time when one of our dogs was given the wrong wormer for re-entry to the UK, and was sick all the way from Chaumont to Calais!!

15. busby

busby Funster

I should have that then due to my ex occupation..Lorry driver,,,used to drive until you had to take a legal break which before tachos would be until you arrived at your destination,,5 or 6 hrs usually...BUSBY.

16. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

The risk increases as you get older as your arteries clog up and your circulation lessens, not everyone gets it but it is a risk nonetheless. Someone driving is probably at less risk than a passenger who doesn't move their legs at all.

17. maison

maison Funster

Can't say for our dog, but we stop every couple of hours and she is more than happy with that.

The only time that didn't work was when she had a stomach upset. On that occasion she made it quite clear to us that she needed to stop. A plaintive whine and then, if we couldn't stop immediately, a short bark.

No accidents. She's not that sort of dog. She's a Lady!:)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Yorick

Yorick Funster

Since when did we go American and use the term comfort break ? ;)

19. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

We tend to do every 4 hours .. or when we stop.
    As above.. can do even more hours through the night.

20. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

We usually stop every couple of hours for a cuppa and a pee, this relates really to the time when we smoked so had to stop for a fag, obviously would not smoke in the MH any more than we would in the house.
    This suits the dogs as they can go far longer than us, probably due to us drinking tea and them water.