Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
Packing up to leave Portugal and head north. Lifted rear island bed mattress and support and found that the 3 hinges at the head end have all pulled out of the wooden support and in the process pulled all the wood apart. Clearly the arrangement is not strong enough to take the force of the bed up on the supports. I seem to recall someone else having this issue and hope they have a solution?

Beware everyone with an AT model with rear island bed, don't lift the whole bed on the mattress support mechanism or you'll most likely have the same problem.

Anyone with advice/guidance please reply.

OP
OP
Cossieg

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
I wish!

Put the bed up today and it really is a crap design. There are 3 hinges with cross head screws that have torn holes in the bottom of the mattress as well.

The hinges screw into a thin batten that has 2 screws holding it down onto what looks like an MDF sheet which is the top of the man cave at the back I think. The MDF has split allowing the hole thing to lift up and down! Home in 2 weeks so I'll get the whole lot out so that I can see what needs to be done.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Had the same problem with our Delaware.
The Memsahib tried to lower the raised bed by pushing it down hard instead of lifting and then lowering on the ratchet.
A strip of extra batten across the top, some glue and extra bolts through the timber plus a coat of wood stain made a fine, simple and cheap job of it. No damage to the mattress and I doubt if the new owners will ever notice that it has been modified.

Richard. (DIY retard)

OP
OP
Cossieg

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
Thanks Clarky". I'll have a mattress off good look when we get home in a few days. It does look like the wood that the hinges are screwed to is pretty badly split but hopefully it is repairable. Not impressed with the design & very grumpy that the bottom of the mattress has been ruined by the screws.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back