Colour-matching a cladding panel (1 Viewer)

Graham Nash

Free Member
Jan 30, 2016
North West Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Hello fellow Rollers. We have a broken/cracked cladding panel on our 2009 Auto-Roller 600. (Rear off-side, below and around locker door - see pic). We have obtained a replacement through a dealer but it is in white rather than the grey we need. (Apparently the dealer never knows which colour panels coming from Italy will be!!) Does anyone know the best way of getting a colour match and would it be something I could spray myself. If so, with what type of paint? (Note: DIY skills limited - once secured a kitchen cupboard to the wall with masonry nails!)

OP
OP
Graham Nash

Graham Nash

Free Member
Jan 30, 2016
North West Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Sorry - forgot the pic! Graham

Attachments

• Offside cladding panel beneath locker door.JPG
    Offside cladding panel beneath locker door.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 56

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
@Graham Nash

Graham,
I recently had a local body shop respray some metal panels from night store heaters. I told the guy that I wanted them resprayed in exactly the same colour and he got a perfect match by viewing them from his mobile handset. I think he must have had an app installed. I cannot contact him at the moment but I'll see if I can find out what he was using and post on here later.
Stef.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I think Halford have a machine to scan and match any colour and mix it in store. I don't know if that includes aerosols though, probably not.

Jul 30, 2015
Barnsley, South Yorks
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail, Tracker FB
Exp
45 yrs Tugging
Hi Graham
Did you order a panel to match your van and colour ?
Did the Dealer view the panel and colour?
IF SO THEN THEY GOT IT WRONG
and they are just passing their mistake on to YOU
GO BACK TO THE DEALER AND TELL HIM SO
also tell him to put right his mistake right
The panel he as supplied is not fit for PURPOSE
SALE OF GOODS ACT
""SIMPLES"

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
We had similar with our Autoroller's bumper, first one that was sent was grey and exact match but split, second one creamy colour but matched ok in local bodyshop. Loved our Roller 600.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Look like it is made of ABS, need to use a special plastic paint or it will flake off.
I think the dealer was fobbing you off.

OP
OP
Graham Nash

Graham Nash

Free Member
Jan 30, 2016
North West Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Wow - this Forum sure works quickly. There's a lot of people out there with too much time on their hands :) Looks like the bodyshop is the best bet - even 'though we are about 60 miles from the nearest one. I also agree with Lenny HB and LS about the dealer. Trouble is we got the panel at least a year ago so I don't think I have a leg to stand on. We love our Roller 600 too, Big B - its taken us all over Europe. Seeing your photo, did you trade it in for a Labrador? Thanks everyone. Graham

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Wow - this Forum sure works quickly. There's a lot of people out there with too much time on their hands :) Looks like the bodyshop is the best bet - even 'though we are about 60 miles from the nearest one. I also agree with Lenny HB and LS about the dealer. Trouble is we got the panel at least a year ago so I don't think I have a leg to stand on. We love our Roller 600 too, Big B - its taken us all over Europe. Seeing your photo, did you trade it in for a Labrador? Thanks everyone. Graham

No, traded in for a Globecar Campscout just 2 weeks ago, dealer is near us and has it on his forecourt but don't want to see it, feel like I've lost a family member lol. We downsized as we lost the lab on avatar a few months ago, so can manage with smaller van.

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
@Graham Nash
I've finally managed to speak to my contact, and his thoughts are that it depends how much you are prepared to spend.
He confirms that Halfords offer a colour-matching service and that they will supply the paint in an aerosol. Obviously you would need to apply the paint yourself, and the paint, although the right colour, may not be suitable for the material you are applying it to.
He says that any self-respecting body shop will be able to scan the vehicle in order to get a perfect match and then apply the correct paint in order to achieve a professional finish.
So there you have it. As with all things, you'll get what you pay for.
Stef.

Jul 30, 2015
Barnsley, South Yorks
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail, Tracker FB
Exp
45 yrs Tugging
@Graham Nash all the info given by members is free to all now you have had good advice from all involved with your query the best thing would be to JOIN FUN for ÂŁ15 per year well spent as you will have used up your quota of free posts as a read only member and you never know what you need to ask about next.
Best of luck with your paint job but it does need a special primer on what you need to paint.
Cliff AKA Late Starting

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back