Collection of tips for longer/Euro tours (1 Viewer)

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
Hi

Whilst waiting for the missus to work her notice, I've been spending too much time on the 'net doing research on everything we need to sort prior to our adventures.

Our tips list is here: Link Removed

Hope it is useful to someone.

Decmac

Free Member
May 17, 2008
Funster No
Hi

Whilst waiting for the missus to work her notice, I've been spending too much time on the 'net doing research on everything we need to sort prior to our adventures.

Very useful information on the website. Havent got round to reading it all yet but will do so sometime soon. Good to have all that info on one page. Many thanks.

Anyway, do you have any tips on skiing in France, etc. We are thinking of taking the plunge (skiing!!!!) after Christmas and would appreciate any info on resorts, prices, hiring or buying ski wear, websites, etc., etc., etc., etc. Hoping to get away for a week to ten days in our motorhome. Appreciate all information from yourselves or anyone else out there. :thumb:

OP
OP
activecampers
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
We'd say don't!

Go Snowboarding instead! Much more fun :)

We've only snowboarded at Tamworth snowdome and not for real. Not sure our little van is up for snow driving in the alps either! We are thinking more of getting a ski resort job for a season (bar work or challet work) and get board and boarding in exchange!

Our van is like a tardis and really loads of room - but drying ski-wear and keeping boards/boots dry would be impossible.

Never say never though :)

If you go - have fun - but we can't help.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
With ALL that research and planning you have done I am surprised you had any

time to dream.:whatthe::whatthe:

Have a great trip

RuthRv

Free Member
Jan 4, 2008
Funster No
this is great and thankyou for the tips , very interesting i agree with your comments about quidco great cash back site, thanks for saving me time surfing (i hate it) now i don't have too,:ROFLMAO: carnet tickets brill will certainly be taking a look at them what a bargain.:Smile:
ruth

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
A good read and an ongoing task no doubt. You missed the high vis jackets that must be accessable from the cab one for each person on board. Now a legal requirement in France, on the spot fines for not carrying them or having them tucked away in a locker that is only accessible from outside the van.
Have a nice trip.

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Hi

Here's a thought and a very personal opinion:

Methinks you're planning TOOOOOOOOO much! If the planning is so intensive you'll expect a perfect trip and if it doesn't work out you may be disappointed:Sad:

Never having motorhomed, or caravanned before we bought an RV and a tow car, took the HGV tests, checked the right things were on the RV, had a weekends run through on a UK campsite then set off for six months in Europe with no ferry booked and no route other than 'head south.' As a result we had a 4,000 mile adventure in France and Spain and a full memory box. (You can read about it in my book.)

We've done it for the last four years with only an idea where to go then changed the RV to a small van to try it another way with a single thought - meander through the Alps, through Italy to Sicily but be prepared to change any plan on any day. 7,356 miles and 67 different stopping places later we had another unforgettable adventure.

Simply my thoughts. Everyone is different.

:Smile:
Keith

Everybo

twooks

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
re Camping Card International - aka camping carnet.
you have to be a member of the club which issues the card - although it used to be possible to get them as AA members from the Caravan Club.
Cards currently issued by caravan Club, Camping and Caravanning Club, RAC;
used to be issued by
Cycling Touring Club and Motorcaravanners club - but not sure if they still do.

You get discounts at some sites of 5% or 10% usually dependent on season, CCI also used to discount offers at various tourist attractions.

If you're planning on travelling outside the main season then you should also investigate:
ACSI Discount card
Link Removed
Link Removed

and Camping Cheques
Link Removed

if heading for Scandinavia they have their own card:
Link Removed

and don't forget France Passion:
Link Removed

but, as previously mentioned - you are doing an awful lot of planning, the beauty of motorhoming - for us at any rate - is the ability to move on as and when and where the mood takes you
or then again - just stay put for a while

You should have originals of your documentation - suggest you also keep photocopies at home

if you were glasses to drive you must have a spare pair as well

whatever you decide
enjoy

PS - love what this site does with the web links

Last edited:
OP
OP
activecampers
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
lol!

Too much planning?! That was the OLD us which put us in the position to do what we wanted at a reasonable age. The planning we did for the trips has/was essential - both long trips were pretty stress free - the second was including lots of wild camping and snowboarding from the van. So the planning and mods made this really easy. (without the planning over the last few years we'd still be stuck at work and not be able to do this till retirement - whereas now at 36 I think the planning was wise:thumb:). Also remember most of the trip research was "free time" waiting for Mel to finish work.

About to set off for trip 3 - and no real planning made for this one - apart from buying loads of chocolate biscuits to take! lol!

So the planning is/was just prepatation - once we've left our drive it really is wherever we fancy going as the diary shows what we did (NOT planned)

Anyway - tips updated - and also the GPS database is updated with 2009 ACSI, 2009 Camping cheque and 2009 boardatles - but is in Autoroute 2007 format. You can download it from our site - but I'm tying to upload it here as I have restricted bandwidth :( If someone can help? (4.5Mb ZIP file)

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back