Colinite wax and its application.. (1 Viewer)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Colinite wax is a now much talked about wax which is IMHO just about the best wax possible for vehicles like our large motor homes..

Why ? Because it is a long lasting very high durability product.

One of the plus points is its cost. A tin is less than 20 quid for a tin that will do at least 12 to 20 MHs depending on size of course.

It can be a bit tricky to apply. But follow the basics and it's a doddle.

Firstly do a small area at a time. Use a foam applicator (off EBay usually pence each ) and do just one panel the remove with a microfibre cloth. Colinite does NOT need to cure. If left to long it makes it just

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
But which version of Collonite? Paste? Liquid? I have a paste (forget the number ) for my cars but my boss has a bottle with cream Collonite. Is one better than the other? Is cream easier to apply (and polish off)?

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
But which version of Collonite? Paste? Liquid? I have a paste (forget the number ) for my cars but my boss has a bottle with cream Collonite. Is one better than the other? Is cream easier to apply (and polish off)?

476s is a paste wax. By that I mean a wax just as we expect when opening the tin..

915 is also a paste wax.

845 is a liquid wax.

476 Has the longest durability. It's very robust against lots of washing. 915 Is next up in the durability stakes. Not quite as long lasting and not as robust.

845 is last in durability. Still a good wax ! It's the easiest of the three to apply just as you would expect.

But for a motorhome which is big we surely go for the longest lasting. It's quite a job is waxing our van which by most standards and being a Panel Van Conversion is not that huge.

Would still rather wax it once or twice a year rather than every couple of months though !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I think I must have the 476. Number rings a bell. I can second it's durability. Loads better than the Autoglym Resin polish I used to use. And it doesn't leave white marks.

Aug 10, 2008
Hawes, UK
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
If you have used other polishes, should these be removed first ! And if so how, or does it not matter

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
If you have used other polishes, should these be removed first ! And if so how, or does it not matter

I assume you mean other waxes ? Polishes will not stay on the van only waxes or sealants..

Anyway. It will be fine. If you really want to remove any previously applied products then wash the van with a very strong ratio of shampoo to water. This will shift it .

Ideally and if perfection was sought a very light polish or paint cleanse would be done. But not many will go that far .

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Just found this thread @Charlie thank you (y)

I want to give the van a good wax for winter, do you suggest any particular applicator?

As for the wax THIS looks a good price?

Lastly, are you saying simply wash the van with shampoo (hair?) or could I use washing up liquid? I mean to remove old wax etc....

Cheers :)

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
You can layer one wax over another IE 845 over 476 but what's the point ? 476 will last longer so best use that if you have it if not go with the 845. 845 is good wax !

Please don't use fairy liquid on vehicles. It's full of salt and is dreadfull stuff. Just use a normal car shampoo..

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
Hi Charlie , my father gave me a can of showroom shine no water cleaner and polish, it cleaned the van and especially the mastic that was very stained with road grime very well, but there was very little beading. I washed the van in the usual way with car shampoo, and rinsed off with a hose , then applied showroom shine as a polish, would I be right in applying colinite 476 as the final layer cheers

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
Great advice & thread @Charlie
I've cleaned & waxed the van yesterday must say the Colinite 476s really is easy to put on & take off.

Going to give it a quick wipe over & wax it again this morning.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Thanks for the heads up !

I've elected to use 845, having found other waxes (Autoglym HD) time consuming..

So far, I've only done the front of the moho with this liquid and am so pleased with the results.
I've always found the front panels difficult to get 'right' but Colinite's worked a treat...

We also have a TT that is meticulously cleaned and cared for... after a coat of 845, it's never looked so good, beyond glossy (y)

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
Well that's the van washed & waxed twice :)
Really easy to wax using Charlie's advice & recommendations
one really big plus is the fact that it's dust free (y)
normally the dust off Autoglym is in my eyes & on my chest so it's a win win :cool:

If the wife's good I might do her car :rolleyes:

Aug 19, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
So can somebody tell please, Have a hymer the front & rear firbeglass is very dull, the sides seem
quite shinny.

So if i wash with car shampoo, then what do i use to make it shine, as i assume i put the
476s wax on at the end.

Karl

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
well i followed charlies guide to waxing your MH ,it took half a tin of collonite 476 and a knackerd me ,but i did it(y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
well i followed charlies guide to waxing your MH ,it took half a tin of collonite 476 and a knackerd me ,but i did it(y)
Half a tin. :eek: I suspect you might be putting it on a tad thickly. I've got a little foam pad which I dampen slightly then gently rub it on the wax in the tin and then spread it over a square yard or so then buff it off straight away.

Jamwitt

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2012
Chandlersford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
4yrs
Done my van yesterday second time since Charlie's first excellent post just love the 476s makes cleaning the van easy blacks streaks just lift of
Thanks Charlie (y)

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Half a tin. :eek: I suspect you might be putting it on a tad thickly. I've got a little foam pad which I dampen slightly then gently rub it on the wax in the tin and then spread it over a square yard or so then buff it off straight away.
i kept getting static electricity build ups, dont know if thats good or bad,but the MH looks great

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Recently bought some Colin it 476 on Ebay, I was a little bit doubtful of its origins as it is double the normal size tin. However it looks genuine, smells genuine and applies dead easy so it must be genuine.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Recently bought some Colin it 476 on Ebay, I was a little bit doubtful of its origins as it is double the normal size tin. However it looks genuine, smells genuine and applies dead easy so it must be genuine.

Mike I buy the double size tin... Don't know why as the normal tin should last years but I do anyway..

Tell you what I've been unpacking my detailing kit today in the garage .. The amount of kit I've amassed over the years is ridiculous . If I was to add up the cost of it all it would be frightening !

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
Hi Charlie,
Won't go into all the detail but I've spent two full days just on the roof (It's all GRP) washed, clay mitt, polished, washed, waxed and I,m still not happy with the results.:(
Don't know if you can see from the pictures the swirling, what am I doing wrong, is there a temperature below which you should not polish? do you think I'm trying to do too large an area at once? applying too much?
IMG_20170505_184650.jpg

IMG_20170505_184650.jpg

Yes I am a bit anal when it comes to my MH,:whistle:
thanks in advance
Mr frustrated from Tod.:LOL:

Last edited:

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
Hi Charlie,
Won't go into all the detail but I've spent two full days just on the roof (It's all GRP) wased, clay mitt, polished, washed, waxed and I,m still not happy with the results.:(
Don't know if you can see from the picture the swirling, what am I doing wrong, is there a temperature below which you should not polish? do you think I'm trying to do too large an area at once? applying too much?
View attachment 161586

thanks in advance
Did you leave it on for too long before buffing it up

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
Looks to me that it is a combination of a couple of things, applying too much wax and doing too large an area so it dries off before you buff it.

It's worth just wiping some wax over a small area and leaving it just long enough to soften the wax already applied before wiping it off and buffing to see if you can remove the wax marks.

Had the roof got hot while you were working on it? We often have to be careful when waxing, not because of the air temperature, but because the GRP soaks up the heat which makes the thinner in the wax evaporate too quick giving the issue you show in your photos.

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
Thanks, quite the opposite really the roof was quit cool.
On with the rest of the MH now so will try smaller areas if I get it right I'll re-atempt thr roof.(y)
Hi Charlie,
Won't go into all the detail but I've spent two full days just on the roof (It's all GRP) washed, clay mitt, polished, washed, waxed and I,m still not happy with the results.:(
Don't know if you can see from the pictures the swirling, what am I doing wrong, is there a temperature below which you should not polish? do you think I'm trying to do too large an area at once? applying too much?
View attachment 161586
View attachment 161587

thanks in advance

Possably:whistle: was getting quite tired though, going to try and imrove my technique now:D

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
As others have said don't let Colinite 476 dry on
Small areas at a time and quickly buff up
If it drys on its very hard work to buff up
Makes getting bugs off the bonnet etc much easyer

Apr 2, 2017
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 5009
Exp
Since 2010
IMG_20170508_170529.jpg
I also followed Charlie's advice and brought myself some 476 it took me 3days to fully wax the van but we'll worth the time and trouble the result is fantastic, we are currently touring Scandinavia and I just quicky wash the van down with plain water and the dirt just falls off, the pesky insects don't stick to the bonnet as I double waxed that so all's good

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
since 1999
#Charlie. My fibreglass panels are a little dull and in dyer need of a polish,would it be ok to just apply colinite 845 for a reasonable shine and protection?

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Bluesurf your fibreglass panels have probably gone dull due to oxidation. Applying Colonite will not restore the shine but will give you a less matt finish and help stop it getting worse.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back