Colinite wax and its application..

Discussion in 'Motorhome Detailing' started by Charlie, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Charlie

Charlie Funster

Colinite wax is a now much talked about wax which is IMHO just about the best wax possible for vehicles like our large motor homes..

Why ? Because it is a long lasting very high durability product.

One of the plus points is its cost. A tin is less than 20 quid for a tin that will do at least 12 to 20 MHs depending on size of course.

It can be a bit tricky to apply. But follow the basics and it's a doddle.

Firstly do a small area at a time. Use a foam applicator (off EBay usually pence each ) and do just one panel the remove with a microfibre cloth. Colinite does NOT need to cure. If left to long it makes it just

• Like Like x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. stevec

stevec Funster

But which version of Collonite? Paste? Liquid? I have a paste (forget the number ) for my cars but my boss has a bottle with cream Collonite. Is one better than the other? Is cream easier to apply (and polish off)?

3. Charlie

Charlie Funster

476s is a paste wax. By that I mean a wax just as we expect when opening the tin..

915 is also a paste wax.

845 is a liquid wax.

476 Has the longest durability. It's very robust against lots of washing. 915 Is next up in the durability stakes. Not quite as long lasting and not as robust.

845 is last in durability. Still a good wax ! It's the easiest of the three to apply just as you would expect.

But for a motorhome which is big we surely go for the longest lasting. It's quite a job is waxing our van which by most standards and being a Panel Van Conversion is not that huge.
    [​IMG]

Would still rather wax it once or twice a year rather than every couple of months though !

• Like Like x 3
  4. stevec

stevec Funster

I think I must have the 476. Number rings a bell. I can second it's durability. Loads better than the Autoglym Resin polish I used to use. And it doesn't leave white marks.

5. Charlie

Charlie Funster

Auto glum super resin polish is just that. A polish. So it won't have a seconds durability.

6. mowbotman

mowbotman Funster

If you have used other polishes, should these be removed first ! And if so how, or does it not matter

7. Charlie

Charlie Funster

I assume you mean other waxes ? Polishes will not stay on the van only waxes or sealants..

Anyway. It will be fine. If you really want to remove any previously applied products then wash the van with a very strong ratio of shampoo to water. This will shift it .

Ideally and if perfection was sought a very light polish or paint cleanse would be done. But not many will go that far .

8. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

@Charlie , Can the 845 be used to give it a top up now and again once the 476 has been applied, or will it just take the 476 off ??:rolleyes:

9. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Just found this thread @Charlie thank you (y)

I want to give the van a good wax for winter, do you suggest any particular applicator?

As for the wax THIS looks a good price?

Lastly, are you saying simply wash the van with shampoo (hair?) or could I use washing up liquid? I mean to remove old wax etc....

Cheers :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Charlie

Charlie Funster

You can layer one wax over another IE 845 over 476 but what's the point ? 476 will last longer so best use that if you have it if not go with the 845. 845 is good wax !

Please don't use fairy liquid on vehicles. It's full of salt and is dreadfull stuff. Just use a normal car shampoo..

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Steve devon

Steve devon Funster

Hi Charlie , my father gave me a can of showroom shine no water cleaner and polish, it cleaned the van and especially the mastic that was very stained with road grime very well, but there was very little beading. I washed the van in the usual way with car shampoo, and rinsed off with a hose , then applied showroom shine as a polish, would I be right in applying colinite 476 as the final layer cheers

12. Charlie - Minton

Charlie - Minton Funster

Great advice & thread @Charlie
    I've cleaned & waxed the van yesterday must say the Colinite 476s really is easy to put on & take off.

Going to give it a quick wipe over & wax it again this morning.

• Like Like x 1
  13. kaasbroodje

kaasbroodje Funster

Thanks for the heads up !

I've elected to use 845, having found other waxes (Autoglym HD) time consuming..

So far, I've only done the front of the moho with this liquid and am so pleased with the results.
    I've always found the front panels difficult to get 'right' but Colinite's worked a treat...

We also have a TT that is meticulously cleaned and cared for... after a coat of 845, it's never looked so good, beyond glossy (y)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Charlie - Minton

Charlie - Minton Funster

Well that's the van washed & waxed twice :)
    Really easy to wax using Charlie's advice & recommendations
    one really big plus is the fact that it's dust free (y)
    normally the dust off Autoglym is in my eyes & on my chest so it's a win win :cool:

If the wife's good I might do her car :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. chippy63

chippy63 Funster

So can somebody tell please, Have a hymer the front & rear firbeglass is very dull, the sides seem
    quite shinny.

So if i wash with car shampoo, then what do i use to make it shine, as i assume i put the
    476s wax on at the end.

Karl

16. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. laird of Dunstan

laird of Dunstan Funster Life Member

well i followed charlies guide to waxing your MH ,it took half a tin of collonite 476 and a knackerd me ,but i did it(y)

18. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Half a tin. :eek: I suspect you might be putting it on a tad thickly. I've got a little foam pad which I dampen slightly then gently rub it on the wax in the tin and then spread it over a square yard or so then buff it off straight away.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Jamwitt

Jamwitt Funster Life Member

Done my van yesterday second time since Charlie's first excellent post just love the 476s makes cleaning the van easy blacks streaks just lift of
    Thanks Charlie (y)

20. laird of Dunstan

laird of Dunstan Funster Life Member

i kept getting static electricity build ups, dont know if thats good or bad,but the MH looks great