Cold starting on a 508d mercedes (1 Viewer)

WESTERNSTAR1

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
THREE YEARS
:Smile:HELLO TO ALL!
WE HAVE A MERCEDES 508D BASES 720 HYMER.
WE HAVE NOT EXPERIENCED TO DATE ANY REALLY COLD WEATHER.
NOW WE HAVE SOME FROSTS IT IS RELUCTANT TO START.
IS THERE A COLD START DEVICE OR A SPECIAL TECHNIQUE TO START HER IN VERY COLD WEATHER?
IT LOOKS LIKE THERE IS SOME SORT OF GLOW PLUG IN THE MANIFOLD?
I NORMALLY JUST TURN THE KEY AND SHE STARTS!
ANY HELP HERE WOULD BE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED.
DON AND SUSIE.

wireman

Free Member
Dec 18, 2007
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
this usually points to an injector failing. Have had this twice now on our sprinter. Get a leakback test done on the injectors thyen start to sweat when you find out how much new ones will cost....best we have ever managed is ÂŁ140 + VAT. Then fitting on top.

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, and welcome to Motorhomefun,

Haven't you got a warning light in or around the dash showing you when the glow plug is on, its normally, well on most vehicles I have owned, a yellow/orange light with what looks like a coil of wire, if you have a light similar to this normally you would turn the ignition on and wait for the light to go out then immediately turn the starter, and if it didn't start within a few revolutions, repeat the same thing again

Just a thought, you may need to hold the key at a certain point for the Glow Plug to work, or you may have a separate button that needs to be pressed, and if you have pressed or turned the correct item, you may hear a buzzer sound if there isn't a indicator light.

Hope that helps, I think someone will be along soon with more suggestions

Oh by the way take you caps lock off on your keyboard, as all uppercase words are seen as shouting.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Not sure what age your Merc is but our old Sprinters cold start system only seemed to kick in when temperatures got a couple of degrees above freezing.

We noticed when it was cold that the heater plug light on the dashboard stayed on for a lot longer. I used to switch the ignition on and off a couple of times to give the heaters a real good go at heating the engine which seemed to help with cold starting. If yours is still struggling to start it maybe time for a new set of heater plugs.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi don and susie and welcome to the FUN.

there should be a glowplug for each cylinder and a warning light on the dash.
you'll see them on the cylinder head linked by a heavy wire.

if the plugs are weak or a couple dont work it will be a pain to start.

turn the ignition on but dont attempt to start it yet, check to see if the dash light comes on then goes out, then start it.
if the light doesnt work try turning on then wait 20 seconds and try starting then.

if that fails, try doing this........ without trying to start...ign on wait 15 secs then off and on again then after a few on/off's try starting. (this could be a sign of weak/damaged plugs)

may be worth having them checked as its gonna get a lot colder.
let us know if this works.

Last edited:

john-A

Free Member
Dec 6, 2009
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Laika
Exp
n/a
hi don and susie and welcome to the FUN.

there should be a glowplug for each cylinder and a warning light on the dash.
you'll see them on the cylinder head linked by a heavy wire.

if the plugs are weak or a couple dont work it will be a pain to start.

turn the ignition on but dont attempt to start it yet, check to see if the dash light comes on then goes out, then start it.
if the light doesnt work try turning on then wait 20 seconds and try starting then.

if that fails, try doing this........ without trying to start...ign on wait 15 secs then off and on again then after a few on/off's try starting. (this could be a sign of weak/damaged plugs)

may be worth having them checked as its gonna get a lot colder.
let us know if this works.
I agree with what pappajohn said this should sort out your problem:thumb:

bigmeeky

Free Member
Jan 21, 2010
Funster No
12 or 24V

I have an old 508d but its on a 24 volt system, no glow plugs just grunt a plenty!

Are you 12 or 24v?

ta

ROb

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
As above,the beast is a 508D 24V start then revert to 12volt, no heaters starts first time every time even in the snow. Want to buy it, hee hee.

garfield

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
North west
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
40yrs
I had the same with my Ford 2.4 ltr. Transit. I took it round to Fords and they told me it was probably the fuel filter needed changing. They could not fit me in to do thre job, but now we are above freezing it is not so bad.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back