Cold few days for a first trip! (1 Viewer)

mike9jr

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Joint J150
Exp
I'm heading down to Llanberis on Sunday for 4 days. I hope to wild camp if possible and have 2 new batteries wired up to allow me a few days total freedom. My 1st big trip :)

So I'm a bit peeved about the weather, or rather the temperaures... It looks like getting close to freezing again!!!

Do those of you with a bit more experience reckon i'll be ok with my water tanks full or would you advise keeping them drained?

I'd like to have a shower and a warm wash if possible....

What do you think?

Cheers

Mike

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Depends on where your water tank is, but even outside (underneath) it would need to be below freezing for quite a few hours to freeze that volume of water. If inside, as most are, and you have any heating on there is no problem.
Waste tank just leave the drain open into a bucket.

Upvote 0

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Mike you will be fine as said would need to be well below Zero to cause a problem
We use ours all winter and just keep the heating on low overnight if we are off EHU

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mike9jr

mike9jr

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Joint J150
Exp
Cool :)
Thanks.
The tank is underneath on the E410.

Here goes.....!
If anyone knows any nice overnight parking spots around llanberis and portmadhog please let me know.
Also a good water refill spot/tap would be great, ta.

Cheers all :thumb:

Mike.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We spent a couple of night in December where the temp was -5˚C, no problem with underslung uninsulated tanks. Unlike the tap over at the service point that had frozen solid.
Make sure your fresh tank is full.

Allan

Upvote 0

Jan1ce

Free Member
Feb 7, 2014
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Low profi
Exp
I'm a newbie
We are also off tomorrow for our first mobile holiday. Not as brave as you as we have booked campsites in Oxford and Chichester hoping that if we cant remember which switch does what there will be some one around that might be able to help:Doh:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mike9jr

mike9jr

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Joint J150
Exp
Yes Jani1ce good point. I was tempted with a site, but 2 new batteries has given me the neccesary confidence to wing it in the wild....assuming I can find a tap that is...

I also have the instructions for everything with me just in case my practice runs were flukes :)

Mike

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Good luck both of you. Our first trip was a long weekend on a CL about 15 miles away.
Take ALL you handbooks for reference. And beer.

Allan

Upvote 0

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
I have a folder in the van with copy's of all the instructions just in case but sure you will both be fine and enjoy

Upvote 0

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
We have just spent a large part of the Scottish winter in our van and have had no problems.The thing about vans is simple.....use it or lose it! If you are out and about you will have no problem.:thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mike9jr

mike9jr

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Joint J150
Exp
No beer, but red wine went down well.

I stayed at the beauty spot at Cwym Paden near Llanberis, a lovely spot and I was not disturbed at all. Might be an issue in high season apparently, but not just now.

The battery power was immpresive, no EHU at all even with little or no driving during the day and it remained parked up while I was climbing. Happy with that :)

It was a good few days, all good except the knob on the fridge broke and I didn't have any pliers to turn it. Note to self.....
Luckily it was chilly enough at night. Still, I'd liked to have tested it to make sure it worked ok.... Any advise on sorting the knob welcome. Ta

Found the heater front to be a bit fragile so some DIY to secure it to the wood below the wardrobe will sort that. Heater worked well and was toasty.

The shower works but water fizzes out at the tap end.... Not a major issue as it went in the right direction....Me :) .

Bed comfy, tried it as a double and a queen size single which I think I prefer with feet on the passenger seat. Less hassle in the mornings.

It drove well and overall I enjoyed the experience.
I think I'd prefer a bed I could keep made, maybe an end fixed bed over a garage is my ideal layout... I love the drop down doubles but they are still way too expensive (bar the old Hymers).

Here's to the next trip.

Mike

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back