Cold Air coming in new Autotrail (1 Viewer)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The so called vents under the seats are nothing to do with batteries on an AutoTrail as they are housed on the side of the chassis behind the skirt. The holes are pressed out during manufacture. I'm on my fourth AutoTrail and I think I know a little about the good and not so good points about them.
The same on all X250's Ducato boxer relay. Only the starter battery in the cab which is in it's own vented box under the the passengers feet.
Nothing to do with batteries at all.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
BOND

BOND

Free Member
Nov 30, 2013
Swindon
Funster No
MH
2014 Commanche
Exp
Starting March 2014
WE had a rear lounge in the Bessacar and the front of the van (bathroom and kitchen) got red hot whilst the back was tepid at best. Then Mark (CLS) pointed out there was a diverter flap on the top of the fire under the 'false floor' in the wardrobe - problem instantly solved - we didn't have a clue that was there till then! Is there something like that on your van do you think?
I'm not sure if the Autotrail has this, anyone else heard or got info on this?

OP
OP
BOND

BOND

Free Member
Nov 30, 2013
Swindon
Funster No
MH
2014 Commanche
Exp
Starting March 2014
On electric it takes ages to completely heat our van, even on full at 2kw. On gas it warms the van in about 20 minutes. The gas is much more efficient, switching the cab vents to recirculation is a good tip, makes a big difference.
Does the Autotrail have switchable vents anywhere?

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
The so called vents under the seats are nothing to do with batteries on an AutoTrail as they are housed on the side of the chassis behind the skirt. The holes are pressed out during manufacture. I'm on my fourth AutoTrail and I think I know a little about the good and not so good points about them.

2010 Apache 700. The leisure batteries are as you describe in a side locker, but the vehicle battery is in the cab between the seats as noted by Wildman.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ok, I've just quickly crawled underneath, the near side has 2 one way vents that I can see with flimsy rubber, there may be more, the offside has 2 solid blanks & If I shine a torch up under the vehicle I can see some faint light. Anyone know the rules about removing the vents?
The doors have no vents at all, the only holes are drains unless there's something behind the trim panel.
The dust under the seats looks like its 10yrs old not 10mths!
Oh, and there's a few sharp edges:mad:

Unless your doors are total one offs there should be vents in the ends. Look at the actual door lock. Directly below them there should be louvred vents.. They are pretty large ( about 50mm wide and a good 200mm long ) ..
Just checked and they are ( SHOULD BE :) ) on all models dating back to early noughties and right up to date.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
2010 Apache 700. The leisure batteries are as you describe in a side locker, but the vehicle battery is in the cab between the seats as noted by Wildman.
Yes I already said that above, yours is an X250. The cab battery is in it's own vented box in the floor . nothing to do with vent holes in the cab steelwork.
three-X2.jpg

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
in winter heating should be run on gas or a combination of 230v and gas, electric alone not up to the job. if it's a long van and hot air struggling to get to the front, you have to balance the system by closing down vents a bit, the ones nearer to boiler. (just like a domestic set of radiators, vents need balancing)

cab always a source of draughts and cold air..only thing you can do is fit covers. full cover better but bulky, only a lot of winter camping will justify those. A fully winterised van will be better equipped for the job.....

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Bond.. The flimsy cardboard tubes you mentioned, are actually lined with foil and are fairly efficient at transporting heat.. I think most of your improvements can be made by preventing draughts and balancing the blown air vents, as stated in previous posts..
But you have turned the thermostat up and put the heating on the 2Kw setting, haven't you ??? (( No offence intended ))
Good luck.

OP
OP
BOND

BOND

Free Member
Nov 30, 2013
Swindon
Funster No
MH
2014 Commanche
Exp
Starting March 2014
Hi Bond.. The flimsy cardboard tubes you mentioned, are actually lined with foil and are fairly efficient at transporting heat.. I think most of your improvements can be made by preventing draughts and balancing the blown air vents, as stated in previous posts..
But you have turned the thermostat up and put the heating on the 2Kw setting, haven't you ??? (( No offence intended ))
Good luck.
Hi Mitch
I've turned the thermo settings up on the panel above the door to max (30) & using Elec2 - is that what you mean?

OP
OP
BOND

BOND

Free Member
Nov 30, 2013
Swindon
Funster No
MH
2014 Commanche
Exp
Starting March 2014
Unless your doors are total one offs there should be vents in the ends. Look at the actual door lock. Directly below them there should be louvred vents.. They are pretty large ( about 50mm wide and a good 200mm long ) ..
Just checked and they are ( SHOULD BE :) ) on all models dating back to early noughties and right up to date.
I'll have another look but sure there are no vents - let you know if I've got a rare machine:)

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
I'm not sure if the Autotrail has this, anyone else heard or got info on this?
this the diverter lever on the back of my 2007 scout . with this i can control the disribution of heat to the front or rear of my van. its on the back of the fire accessable from inside the bottom of the wardrobe.

Attachments

• IMG_0414.JPG
    IMG_0414.JPG
    161.5 KB · Views: 109

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Do the heater ducts go outside the van? One of the crap designs by some MH manufacturers is to run these tubes under the floor so loose a lot of heat. Even running through lockers will loose a lot of heat if they are cold after a long run.
I fitted carpet to ours and got rid of the removable carpets that let more heat out.
Your main problem is the pathetic fan they fit. a fart in a bottle may be more use.
It all boils down to the designers who have no idea what living in a MH is like. They should all be made to try out their designs before they are let loose on us. :rolleyes:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Cheers Andy
Mine are so well taped up with gaffa tape you cannot even see the outline of them, which is why I never posted a picture !

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
is that such a good idea ventilation wise? OK for a winter trip maybe, but permanently? they are there for a reason, I well remember rusting lower doors from the past

OP
OP
BOND

BOND

Free Member
Nov 30, 2013
Swindon
Funster No
MH
2014 Commanche
Exp
Starting March 2014
image.jpg

OP
OP
BOND

BOND

Free Member
Nov 30, 2013
Swindon
Funster No
MH
2014 Commanche
Exp
Starting March 2014
My doors minus vents - pushed the button too early:doh:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
You can EDIT for up to 60 mins but no point now :LOL:
Looks like Fiat etal finally realised they were not required (y)

OP
OP
BOND

BOND

Free Member
Nov 30, 2013
Swindon
Funster No
MH
2014 Commanche
Exp
Starting March 2014
Do the heater ducts go outside the van? One of the crap designs by some MH manufacturers is to run these tubes under the floor so loose a lot of heat. Even running through lockers will loose a lot of heat if they are cold after a long run.
I fitted carpet to ours and got rid of the removable carpets that let more heat out.
Your main problem is the pathetic fan they fit. a fart in a bottle may be more use.
It all boils down to the designers who have no idea what living in a MH is like. They should all be made to try out their designs before they are let loose on us. :rolleyes:
Yeah the tubes go thru the lockers which are pretty much outside, you can put wine in there to chill if the fridge is full! I think some decent insulation in that area wouldn't go a miss - It's a rubbish design.

OP
OP
BOND

BOND

Free Member
Nov 30, 2013
Swindon
Funster No
MH
2014 Commanche
Exp
Starting March 2014
You mean edit by pushing the edit button I suppose - :clap: Never again will I have to read the post 10 times before I push the button.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Our 2013 Tracker has same draught problems and no vents in the doors as Bond has already shown we put up two blankets around the back of the swivelled front seats clipped to wherever with spring clamps seems to do the trick but the tip about under seats is a good one am going to stuff something wooly in there and that should do the trick I do find using the electric and gas setting works well and doesn't use much gas.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Ok, I've just quickly crawled underneath, the near side has 2 one way vents that I can see with flimsy rubber, there may be more, the offside has 2 solid blanks & If I shine a torch up under the vehicle I can see some faint light. Anyone know the rules about removing the vents?
The doors have no vents at all, the only holes are drains unless there's something behind the trim panel.
The dust under the seats looks like its 10yrs old not 10mths!
Oh, and there's a few sharp edges:mad:

there is an available blanking plate for these vents... there was a thread on it some time back. i will trawl my bits and pieces and see if i can dig out the number.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams

Does that apply to my 2004 Apache,if so where do I get the plugs from ,also Are they visible if you crawl under the van and look up?
Finally I get the feeling from some posts that it's ok to run the heating on gas and electric at the same time when it's cold is this right?

Vlad

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back