Coke? (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Hello all. I'm sure I read here some time ago that pouring a bottle of coke down the kitchen sink helps get rid of any gunge. Is this correct?
If so do I just pour it down and leave it? How long for? The sink takes ages to drain away- if not coke , what else?

Thanks.

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
sorry error

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Coke is used but I'm not sure of quantities or how long. Personally I prefer to use specific products, Fenwick's gets good reviews and similar products are available from other manufacturers. Link

I've not used the above product in anger so can't personally advise on its effectiveness for your issue but it does state that used at a higher concentrate, it will unblock and as a plus smells nicer than coke!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
A couple of litres of cheap cola added to your waste tank via any of your outlets(kitchen sink, shower tray, wash basin) and then drive a bit to agitate leave a short while and then drain. This has worked for me.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I gave up using coke 'cos it never tastes the same afterwards and ruins the Bacardi!:eek:

We now use washing soda .... a good dose down each plughole followed by a kettle full of hot water. Best to do it before travelling so it stays in the tank and gets swilled around, then empty and flush before it gets a chance to settle.(y)

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
We use a product called tank cleaner, from memory I think its made by Elsan works very well and one bottle lasts us all year(y)

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I had recent success with the oxyclean stuff that is meant for stain removal for laundry. I used Lidl's own brand and put a half measure down each plughole followed by a bit of hot water. Don't use to much hot water as you don't want to flush it straight through. It will fizz and foam for a while and then settle down.

When I did this on the shower tray plughole it actually bought up grains of sand in the foam.

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
I gave up using coke 'cos it never tastes the same afterwards and ruins the Bacardi!:eek:

We now use washing soda .... a good dose down each plughole followed by a kettle full of hot water. Best to do it before travelling so it stays in the tank and gets swilled around, then empty and flush before it gets a chance to settle.(y)

How does the Bacardi taste with the wqshing soda?....... not tried that cocktail yet......:Eeek:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We use a litre of pure orange juice after a tip from Richard ( @Scotties )
About once every couple of months seems to work for us

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Baking coda and citric azide put sum citric. down the plug hole then pore sum diluted baking coda it will come up and carry the crap out the pipes and in to the tank
Then level till next time you empty works for me
Calgone dose a good job to
Bill

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
My new van only drains slowly from the sink, unless it is full and it goes fast until empty, I think there might be a non return,anti smell ,valve that needs a bit of weight to open fully. Check your it might be the same.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

And the washing soda IS ok with Bacardi then ? :LOL:

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
don't know if coke etc will fix a slow emptying sink, but it will help clean out your tank and make it smell better , also make sure the filter it clear , mine is below the MH , right below the sink

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Tesco "cola" 17p bottle works well. Put 10 bottles in the tank via kitchen, bathroom and shower plug holes. Drove about fifty miles to churn it up a lot of gung came out.

colyboy

Mr Milliemobile

Funster
Sep 9, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2014
Would diet version of cola be better than full fat version? Thinking that all that sugar could feed the bugs, bacteria and mould in pipes and waste tank...

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Tesco "cola" 17p bottle works well. Put 10 bottles in the tank via kitchen, bathroom and shower plug holes. Drove about fifty miles to churn it up a lot of gung came out.

colyboy
At 17p each the gunge probably was in the bottle when purchased! ;)

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016

colyboy
What size of bottles were they at 17p each. surely not 1ltr ?

At 17p each the gunge probably was in the bottle when purchased! ;)
To right , my thoughts exactly :D :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back