Cockapoo ?? (1 Viewer)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I know many here have dogs .. My wife would like another wee dog . We haven't had a dog for seven years when we lost our aged Border Collies very close together.

I have of course in true Charlie fashion done much reading on the net but talking to owners might be far better.

So enlighten or confuse me please ??

Cheers

Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
If you have not set your heart on a particular breed Why not have a look at some of your local dog resues. Lots of dogs land up needing rehomed due to changes in family circumstances and as experienced owners you will know what you can cope with. We fostered for Black Retrieverx Rescue and Irish Retriever Rescue and they both have smashing dogs. In fact we are failed fosterers as we kept our two Irish water spaniel/collie crosses- fabulous dogs! Both rescues are on facebook and Silver Paws Dog Rescue are also worth a look, its run by one of my daughter's friends... good luck. X

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Try a poodle, either miniature or toy. No coat to shed and very intelligent little dogs, great companions and fierce guard dogs for home and motorhome. Lok at "Poodle Rescue" Link Removed to see whats available.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Or even a standard poodle.

There are still some decent working strains about that make good gun dogs and they aren't that difficult to train if you wanted to try that. You don't need to actually shoot, just use the training methods. It's a great way to train a dog.

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
A cockapoo is of course a cross between a cocker spaniel and a poodle so in other words a mongrel, or designer mongrel if you prefer. However, for some reason cockerpoos generally command higher prices than pedigree cocker spaniels or pedigree poodles. You really couldn't make this stuff up could you?

As others have said, there are lots of dogs needing rehoming, especially at this time of year so get yourself to your local centre and give a poor neglected dog a forever home.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Try a poodle, either miniature or toy. No coat to shed and very intelligent little dogs, great companions and fierce guard dogs for home and motorhome. Lok at "Poodle Rescue" Link Removed to see whats available.

I agree, poodles have a great reputation for trainability. I used to work for someone who had a standard poodle, treated it like a member of the family. What a great dog. though she didn't do my street-cred much good when the lads saw me out walking her in my dark, double-breasted pinstripe suit, Rayban's and Church's shoes. :rofl:

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
When we lived in Liberia, the only other British couple on our compound had a toy poodle - she was an absolute little star - brilliant personality and sooooo clever. She would hide her ball in my bag and then ignore it until I left to go home, and then would paw the bag as if to say - i wonder if there is anything in there that you should be getting out and throwing for me..... wonderful little dog. And they don't shed hair - so motorhome friendly!!!! (y)(y)(y)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Another thumbs-up for poodles (or Poodle crosses). We've had two miniatures over the years - brilliant little dogs. A decent clip helps with the street cred :). Do go for a rescue though - you'll still get what you want if you're prepared to wait.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
We have two of these lovely lovely dogs....Cockerpoo s that is. They are gorgeous. Love cuddles, extremely bright and intelligent, easy to train, want only to be with their family. When I was looking into the breed I went along to the Cockerpoo Games. I have never seen so many friendly, happy dogs running and playing together. Nor such a variety of colours either. Utterly convinced me that this was the breed for us. I've never regretted my decision. As you can see, Max is the black and white one. Phoebe is my choccy girl. We have their coats clipped every six weeks in the winter and every twelve weeks in the summer. We cut it much shorter and closer in the summer and allow them to be longer and curvier in the winter. Feel free to ask if you want further information. If you do get one ( or 2) make sure the parent dogs have been PRA checked as both Cockers and Poodles can carry this gene. It causes blindness. So don't buy if the test hasn't been carried out. It's a proper DNA check.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
If you want to check out the breed there is a Cockerpoo forum on the Internet....I love my Cockerpoo. Loads of information, pictures and stories on it.

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
If you want to check out the breed there is a Cockerpoo forum on the Internet....I love my Cockerpoo. Loads of information, pictures and stories on it.

Why are you calling it Cockerpoo when it's Cockapoo? Surely you should know if you have some?

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Think you will find its either. Particularly as its a cocker spaniel, not a cock a spaniel.....just saying! :moon2:

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
It would seem not, from a quick search on t'internet. What's the "Cockerpoo" forum called?

Sep 24, 2013
Torbay, Devon
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1992
We have a Bichonpoo, again completely non shedding and very intelligent and good natured.
Don

Sep 4, 2014
Putney, London
Funster No
MH
Still Just Looking :-(
Exp
My son and his wife want one of these Cockerpoo's - I can't believe that they go for £750++ for what is essentially a mongrel.
I hope that they are a young enough breed not yet to be suffering from overbreeding.
Look lovely but I've suggested they try and go for a rescue dog - talking to myself though I fear.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
still think I will stick with my staffies. happy friendly dogs when raised properly

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Thanks all ! Some. Very good information!!
A friend has a Cockapoo and we just love it ! It's such a robust wee dog and comes with us when we go felling trees for firewood. We are set on the breed as it suits us and its where our enthusiasm lies.

Rescue dogs are great but we know people who have adopted them and had problems plus we are set on the breed and are very unlikely to change course.

As above I'm gathering as much information as I can and most on here are good sensible and honest so I feel I will get the answers warts an all.

Thanks again !!

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Charlie google Cockapoo and a number of forums and breeders will come up, we've had our Roxy just 10 days and we've learned so much off the net.

John.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks all ! Some. Very good information!!
A friend has a Cockapoo and we just love it ! It's such a robust wee dog and comes with us when we go felling trees for firewood. We are set on the breed as it suits us and its where our enthusiasm lies.

Rescue dogs are great but we know people who have adopted them and had problems plus we are set on the breed and are very unlikely to change course.

As above I'm gathering as much information as I can and most on here are good sensible and honest so I feel I will get the answers warts an all.

Thanks again !!

Http://ilovemycockapoo.com/

Can really recommend this forum. So much information available.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
There will be a lot of cockerpoos in rescue as people massively underestimate their energy levels.....

Depends how lively you want them. A show Cocker is less lively than a working Cocker. My two can do as much or as little as I can give them. They love to walk and play, but if I'm ill they are quite happy to just sit snuggled up and to just stay by my side. They don't pester to go for a walk. They are very knowing, wise little dogs.

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We have a cockapoo from a working cocker and miniature poodle. She is now three and has calmed down a lot. She was very active for the first couple of years but also biddable and intelligent. Our main problem with her was her inbred instinct to chase rabbits so we sometimes found it difficult to get her to come back. A good dog trainer taught us some effective methods involving smoked sausage and a scenting game that satisfied her need to scent.
They are lovely little dogs. The ones from working cockers are a bit smaller generally. Ours doesn't shed at all which means she has to be clipped regularly. I get really fed up of people going on about paying for a crossbreed. All pedigree dogs were deliberately bred from both inside and outside their breeds to get the size/shape/behaviour that was wanted. None of them are truly pure bred. They've just been around longer and look similar enough to be able to classify by the kennel club.
We also have a pure bred mini poodle. He is more anxious than the cockapoo but he's also a grand little dog. My advice is to go for the type that appeals to you and fits your lifestyle. If you're keen walkers then a cockapoo from a working cocker will be ideal. If not go for the show cocker type. Ours are great travellers and enjoy the motorhoming lifestyle. This year we've only been home for one month and are currently in Spain. The dogs are completely settled.
Happy dog choosing!
Mags

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
gone from Cockers to Newfoundlands to our current cockapoo. all had their good and bad points but the current one is the best. lively and full of fun but very biddable, as long as there is a tennis ball about.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Have you just joined the forum? Think I've just said hello to you! (y)

Yes I did.... I like to gather as much information as I can on any subject I'm unsure about. Can't have to much information !

Thanks again for the link !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back