Coastal Dumfries and Galloway. (1 Viewer)

nickandchris

Free Member
Jul 8, 2010
South Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi, we are heading off towards the Rhins of Galloway and are looking for anywhere on the coast we can wild where we could get our 3 metre inflateable with outboard into the water easily. We have no launching trailer and have to man-handle both boat and outboard so the closer we can camp to the sea, the better.

Many thanks for any advice.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Nick and Chris

I live in Dumfries so hopefully be able to help if your coming this way or are you just going to the Rhins of Galloway.

You could stay down past Glencaple just at the firth of solway and only a short walk about 30 yards to water or if you head for brighouse bay caravan site just before the site is a carpark and toilet block right on the beach you see a few jetski in this area sometimes and you are hidden from the road if you wish to stay over night although i havent looked to see if theres any signs.

Also if you take the dalbeattie to kirkudbright road between palnakie and auchencairn there is a turning to the left (think its a church or view point) very secluded and room to park up but might be about 100yards or more to coast and lovely little bay try looking for it on google earth.

I could give you a few places for overnighting but not next to sea
Gerry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I live in the Rhins. Right next to the Caravan Club site at New England Bay there is a large car park with direct access to the sea. Never noticed any overnighters there but there are toilets and fresh water. Further south on the same road are a couple of places that look suitable though I cannot really say as we live too close for them to be of any use to us. Just had a thought, on the road from Port william to Glenluce (A747) there is a large stretch to park up right next to the sea. On Google Earth it comes up as 54 49'35 N, 4 43'08 W, I've seen vans there before. Good beach and lots of it.

Rgds
Bill

OP
OP
N

nickandchris

Free Member
Jul 8, 2010
South Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Many thanks for the replies. Bill, I knew about New England Bay, pretty sure there will be notices there being next to the Caravan Club site.I have also looked pretty much all the way round the coast on Google Earth and come up with what you have mentioned. It is just whether there are any no overnight signs. Will not stay if there are.

Gerry, been to Glencaple, may be too estuary like? Brighouse Bay a possibility but again, next to a site.

What about the park at Monreith, beyond the golf club at Black Bay?. And on the west side of Stranraer, a place called Broadsea Bay at Labrax, north of Port Patrick. I can see cars parked by the sea off a track, on google earth. Depends how suitable the track?

Jim, I will have a look at the book.

What about Stairhaven? Is that still out of bounds for staying?

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
There didn't used to be a sign at New England Bay and yes, it is on the road to Drumore.

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
I used to have a 3.1 metre Quicksilver and 8HP yamaha. I put some pop up inflatable wheels on the back. They swing down so you can easily town the boat and outboard by hand on your own and launch it. Once in the water you press them down and they pop up and store verticle. When you get near the shore you pop them down and secure them then just drag the whole thing out. Cant remember where I got them but they were about 70 quid I think.

OP
OP
N

nickandchris

Free Member
Jul 8, 2010
South Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Snap, ours is a Quicksilver with a 8hp Yamaha. Yes, we've seen the wheels, somehow we didn't think they would suit our purposes.Had the boat a good few years now, ideal for fishing on Scottish sea lochs, not so seaworthy on the open sea so can only use on calm days.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back