Coach build damp issues

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by TerryandLinda, Nov 19, 2015.

1. TerryandLinda

TerryandLinda Funster

Following my motorhome's annual habitation service I was informed there could be damp issues with my van as the readings were creeping up to 20% all round the van. This is disappointing in a van that's only 4 years old. The motorhome repair shop told me I should expect to have my van dismantled and re-sealed every 4 to 5 years at a cost of about £900!
    Is this normal for all motorhomes or a specific problem with CI Cariocas? What damp figure is regarded as one that requires remedial action? Is it only coachbuilts that have this problem as the roof is glued on? Presumably van conversions with a welded roof don't suffer?
    Any advice please?

2. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

15% to 20% is generally considered as normal. Bear in mind we're having a bit of a damp spell weather wise at the moment so there is a higher chance of raised damp readings. CIs are known to suffer from damp issues but I've never heard of anyone having to periodically strip and reseal a motorhome.

D.

• Like Like x 4
  3. TerryandLinda

TerryandLinda Funster

Dave, thanks for your reply. It confirms my own feeling that 15 to 20% is a normal moisture level in Britain. The figures were more or less the same all round the van whereas I would be more concerned if say one corner was very much higher than the rest of the van. Is the dealer looking for work?
    Terry

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

My personal opinion.......Yes........or they dont know how to interpret the readings.

As you say, if it was confinded to one area then it may be a problem but to be the same reading everywhere points to the testers incompetence.

• Like Like x 3
  5. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Absolutely!! Most damp testers aren't definitive and are best used by checking an area known to be 'dry' and comparing other areas with the result obtained. Doing so will allow for the many variables such as, as mentioned, the weather, but including others such as: has it been used recently, has it been heated or ventilated recently, is it normally stored outdoors? All these will affect the readings obtained and without a 'dry area' comparison will at best make interpretation of the results very difficult.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tootles

Tootles Funster

You can tell when it's getting damp when you open the hab door and the wife is washed outside. (y)

• Like Like x 3