Co-drivers Who Don't/Won't/Not Allowed To Drive.... (1 Viewer)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Hi, like the idea but not sure how your / or there insurance would cover it.
I'm sure a call to the insurance company would add an additional driver quite easily - although it would cost of course. The insurance would be an inconvenience rather than a problem I would have thought.

We have added temporary additional drivers to policies a few times over the years - a couple of times there was no charge and for other cases charges ranged between £5 and £100.

T

Tackle man

Deleted User
Irene drives our car but is by nature a nervous driver. She gets a cold sweat if I even mention driving the MH. Not all people are born able to drive larger vehicles.
My son's mother in law has never held a driving licence but she is a bloody good back seat driver ..... drives her poor husband nuts!! :rolleyes::unsure::whistle::whistle:

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
My Wife is an excellent driver of Bikes and Cars, BUT although she is down as second driver on the insurance WILL NOT drive it under normal circumstances although if she had to, then it would happen, pity though as she could drive the easy bits sometimes to get used to it. I found it quite large to start with but it shrank to car size after a few times out and into small places. I think the same would happen to her driving once she had overcome the confidence thing although I would draw the line at her backing into our drive, with two inches either side of the pillars with the gates on.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Please think about the emergency situation.

We have just had to return from Spain in those circumstances, arrived yesterday, flying was not an option. I could not drive for long so Dolly did almost all the 1300 miles. Fortunately she loves driving Freddie but what about if you find yourselves in a similar situation?

For those who don't/won't or who are not allowed to drive please reconsider. Driving an unfamiliar vehicle in an emergency, is a very stressful situation, so you know it makes sense to get behind the wheel, just in case.
Good idea. I gave the wife a coarse in driving our LHD Hymer. Stopped twice by the police, and threatened with a on the spot fine for allowing a Rottweiler to sit in what they thought was the front passenger seat........:(

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Ouch!
Does she read this forum?
Are you adequately insured?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I can, and have driven ours, but choose not to. Unless were on long motorway drives , and I don't mind then.
Ralph enjoys it.
I do drive the family car more than Ralph though.
But , when we have finished our R&B PVC I'm going to learn how everything works , and drive it just as much as he does. He wants me to and I want to do , too.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
I think you should treat her to a driving day in the motorhome for Christmas. There is a member who teaches HGV driving and does these days - I haven't been on one but am told they are great fun and very educational. I'm trying to get the drake to buy me a day driving HGVs round a test track - daft but I've always wanted to drive a massive truck. Just the once would be enough to cross it off the bucket list.

I would love to have a go at this, it sounds great fun, always wanted to have a go(y)

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I've responded on the fun motorhome rescue thread - very happy to help if needed but how does anyone request help?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It is a very good idea for both qualified drivers if there are any to be prepared to drive if the other is incapacitated in anyway. When we had a 24ft Rimor, despite my being willing to drive it, hubby did all the driving as he liked to do so, however not long after we'd got it we were on holiday in France when he got 2nd degree sunburn from canoeing for 8 and a half hours in the sun - I got it too but fortunately not quite as bad although it was still very painful, consequently I ended up having to drive the Rimor all the way back from the South of France, if I hadn't been able to do so we'd have been at the mercy of the insurance/recovery services which would not have been fun!

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I've responded on the fun motorhome rescue thread - very happy to help if needed but how does anyone request help?
They ring you first..:)

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
They ring you first..:)

Ah, but seriously, first they've got to get my number! And I won't post that on here - I get enough "spam" calls as it is, neither do I answer any calls that ain't in my phone book! But that's another thread.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Emergencies aside,my wife shares the driving with me,this enables us to travel greater distances,I am happy with this arrangement.
She is just as capable whether it is a PVC or an A class.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well I'm sorry, I've tried to drive a LHD hire car in Menorca with husband Mk I, for about 2km until I was in tears, I drove our RHD Xantia from the lake to the supermarche in St Denis les Ponts and back, about 4km and hated it equally and I drove the Bessie about 5km on a country lane that was dead straight and may have been OK if an artic hadn't come in the opposite direction, other than that I've not been in the driving seat of a motorhome and I do not intend to, neither do I intend to drive any vehicle at all anywhere abroad ever again. I hated it so much every time and was terrified.

I don't know why, but there you go. My head has decided it's not for me and to my mind it's totally potty for me to even be on the MH insurance because I'm damn sure Pete having a heart attack or breaking his ankle is not going to increase either my confidence or my ability.

I had to drive back from Warwick hospital once where I'd been taken after an accident on the M42 - car was drivable so I went in the police car and the other policeman drove the car - I was OK after a bit so - and they knew I was on my own - they sent me home. It was dark by then, I didn't carry a road map because I was just coming home from work so knew the way and various of the roads off the route - I didn't see any road signs I would have known I needed to follow to get me home (to Kidderminster, at that time) So I ended up coming along the M40 to the M42, the very road I'd had the accident on - off at Bromsgrove and back to K - the M42 part I was at least familiar with. OK I had to get that over with - but I'd have preferred not to be alone, and I did cry all the way.

I just don't recommend it to anyone. If your passenger is not competent or confident - take them off the insurance, please.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back