Co-drivers Who Don't/Won't/Not Allowed To Drive....

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Steveth, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Steveth

Steveth Funster

Please think about the emergency situation.

We have just had to return from Spain in those circumstances, arrived yesterday, flying was not an option. I could not drive for long so Dolly did almost all the 1300 miles. Fortunately she loves driving Freddie but what about if you find yourselves in a similar situation?

For those who don't/won't or who are not allowed to drive please reconsider. Driving an unfamiliar vehicle in an emergency, is a very stressful situation, so you know it makes sense to get behind the wheel, just in case.

• Like Like x 11
  2. DiggerJon

DiggerJon Funster

Even more difficult as a singleton! Good recovery insurance essential!

• Like Like x 4
  3. roamingman

roamingman Funster

Bit diffacult for us, wife she would like to drive but does not have a full liccence, not sure if she is able to drive motorhome, even with me beside her.

• Like Like x 2
  4. rosierose

rosierose Funster

It certainly does makes sense, even if you do have recovery insurance. We both drive ours, so not an issue for us….

5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Under 3500kg she is.

Providing insured and L plates are displayed

Only applies to the UK though as all UK drivers must hold a full licence outside the UK.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Flyingscotsman2

Flyingscotsman2

Just an idea wat if fun had a scheme where if anybody in trouble some how we could help them. Like couple of drivers going down to bring them back.

• Like Like x 10
  7. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

that's a grate idea ad me to the list emergency driver seem

8. Movinon

Movinon Funster

My wife does not drive. So what do you suggest - divorce? I recall this being kicked around a group of motorhomers on a rally elsewhere. The net result, even after some discussion, was that those that could, did, and those that couldn't, didn't. No change there at all.

What you mean is that an accompanying family member who holds the appropriate license should be competent to drive the motorhome if necessary, even if they normally don't. Fair enough if possible but if it's not then attention should be paid to the level of recovery insurance. Aware of the problem, I have the Caravan Club full continental recovery insurance because it includes chauffeured recovery.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Flyingscotsman2

Flyingscotsman2

It could work bill I have done it with the business. I had a driver involved in a fatel in Spain a little suzuki van hit him head on. The van was in bedded where the engine was killed him out right. Once all the paper work had been done I arranged for him to be picked up as he couldn't fly as my driver was so shaken up.

10. grumps147

grumps147 Funster

Check your recovery insurance very carefully. Many have a recovery exclusion if there is another suitably licensed driver in the vehicle. They are expected to drive the vehicle home.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Woman is not licensed to drive our van, but god forbid we do have a real emergency we do have a contingency plan

Ring up number one son who would fly out and drive the rig home.. We both have each others vans insured for both of us as a just in case thing

12. grasscutter

grasscutter Funster Life Member

That is the reason we had my wife taken off the insurance.

• Like Like x 3
  13. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

I was very careful with this, OH doesn't have C1, in fact only has Auto car licence. Our recovery insurance (not sure if I am allowed to say company name so I won't) covers supplying a driver to recover the vehicle if I am incapacitated.

14. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

Same here, great minds think alike Graham.

• Like Like x 1
  15. rangitira

rangitira Funster

Yep! Me too they supply a driver!

16. Movinon

Movinon Funster

Caravan Club continental cover states "....no qualified or competent driver remaining". Recovery is by club members who have volunteered for this duty. I suspect this will all hinge on their undisclosed definition of "competent", but the use of club members suggests that the definition will be lenient. Removing my wife from the vehicle insurance is, on balance, probably a good idea, but the premium may go up.

17. BreweryDave

BreweryDave Funster Life Member

The flip side is.....your insurance and breakdown cover will usually be cheaper to reflect the fact that there is another driver insured and available, to reduce the need for a long recovery of the MH. Food for thought.

18. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

I dont think a scheme is necessary...

A few xmas`es ago we were in Spain with the RV/Trailer & a Toad.. and had to get home straight away.. We drove home in the toad, as we could not get a flight with 3 seat`s out of Spain anywhere..... we could get one from this airport and one from that etc, which was no good..

When we got back, we had to decide whether to go back/stay or when and if we would get back...

I had about five PM`s from this and RVOC site to say if we need help certain members would fly to Alicante and collect the RV & Trailer and bring it home..

I am sure and know for a fact these were genuine offers and not just keyboard warriors trying to make out to be hero`s... Due to the fact these were sent by PM and no one could or would see who they were...

They were on top of the offers we had on open forum...

So with the caring friendly membership we have today.. I think anyone would be inundated with offers of help if needed.. (y)

• Like Like x 5
  19. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

Have delivered / recovered boats under same circumstances ,one of the best Hondarribia back to Plymouth great trip across a supprisingly calm Biscay .

20. wingman

wingman Funster

As Grumps 147 and others have said, (and many don't realise) if there's another qualified driver, they are expected to repatriate the vehicle. For that reason, I never put my wife on the insurance in the first place. It means a very slight increase in the premium, but well worth the 'chauffeured service' home. Doesn't have to be a major happening either (like a Heart Attack or Stroke) just a simple tumble with a resultant fractured arm or ankle would cause a big problem.

I don't want to sound unkind, but despite being on my car insurance for years, my wife won't even drive my Kuga "because it's too big!". Christ knows what would happen if I let her loose with the MH :eek: Demolition Derby springs to mind and the handbrake is on the right of the driver's seat!