CO alarm and smoke alarm (1 Viewer)

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Have just bought a CO alarm for the van no problem. Was looking at smoke alarms and they seem to suggest that they should not be sited in a kitchen area, got me thinking in the van when we cook the whole thing is a kitchen area,so maybe it will be going off all the time and then if we were in the van surely we would notice any smoke. When asleep all services are off.
Any advice experience or thoughts on smoke alarms in MH's.:winky:

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Great items for using for the safety of you and your loved ones:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
we have a detachable smoke alarm which is "detached " when cooking. just put it on the bed / seat so you dont forget to put in back:thumb:

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
You really need a heat detector in a kitchen, but your nightcap would be on fire, before it went off in a Motorhome, when you were asleep. Location of the device is the trick. You need to get out fast in a fire and you rely on your exit route being clear to do that. Put a detector over the hab door. Then, don't open the door when you're burning toast, use a window opposite the door and a roof light for ventilation, or take the detector out of its base!

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Our smoke alarm is on the ceiling next to the hab door. CO alarm is in the rear bedroom.
We only had one false alarm with the smoke detector, that was about 5pm while travelling on the A4 through Reims in France at 65mph.
Had to stop shortly afterwards and change underwear!

Allan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Alarms

We have the "fire angel" fire and co2 alarms. The fire one is on the ceiling in the centre of the van about four feet from the rear kitchen area. It has only gone off once when I burnt some toast but never when cooking despite heat/fumes so for me it does exactly what it should. The co2 alarm if on a wall 6ins down, as recommended, from the ceiling and opposite the cooker (The boiler is underneath) so this is close enough to pick up any co2 but it has never gone off.

Both alarms have a test button which will also turn them off in the event of an activation, they also have a five year battery life so all in all I am pleased with them and fell that protect us properly. I do not have a gas attack alarm since I do not believe in gassing attacks.

(Gassing attacks have been discussed ad nuaseum on here so please Funsters, lets not start another debate on them. I am just stating my personal preference)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back