CO alarm and smoke alarm

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Zains Pops, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Zains Pops

Zains Pops Funster

Have just bought a CO alarm for the van no problem. Was looking at smoke alarms and they seem to suggest that they should not be sited in a kitchen area, got me thinking in the van when we cook the whole thing is a kitchen area,so maybe it will be going off all the time and then if we were in the van surely we would notice any smoke. When asleep all services are off.
    Any advice experience or thoughts on smoke alarms in MH's.:Wink:

2. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

You need a kitchen smoke alarm in a van. They have a mute button for false alarms - mainly when the toast edges singe :Smile:

3. alfandM

alfandM Funster

Great items for using for the safety of you and your loved ones:thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Phill D

Phill D

we have a detachable smoke alarm which is "detached " when cooking. just put it on the bed / seat so you dont forget to put in back:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ed Excel

Ed Excel Funster

You really need a heat detector in a kitchen, but your nightcap would be on fire, before it went off in a Motorhome, when you were asleep. Location of the device is the trick. You need to get out fast in a fire and you rely on your exit route being clear to do that. Put a detector over the hab door. Then, don't open the door when you're burning toast, use a window opposite the door and a roof light for ventilation, or take the detector out of its base!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Our smoke alarm is on the ceiling next to the hab door. CO alarm is in the rear bedroom.
    We only had one false alarm with the smoke detector, that was about 5pm while travelling on the A4 through Reims in France at 65mph.
    Had to stop shortly afterwards and change underwear!

Allan

7. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Alarms

We have the "fire angel" fire and co2 alarms. The fire one is on the ceiling in the centre of the van about four feet from the rear kitchen area. It has only gone off once when I burnt some toast but never when cooking despite heat/fumes so for me it does exactly what it should. The co2 alarm if on a wall 6ins down, as recommended, from the ceiling and opposite the cooker (The boiler is underneath) so this is close enough to pick up any co2 but it has never gone off.

Both alarms have a test button which will also turn them off in the event of an activation, they also have a five year battery life so all in all I am pleased with them and fell that protect us properly. I do not have a gas attack alarm since I do not believe in gassing attacks.

(Gassing attacks have been discussed ad nuaseum on here so please Funsters, lets not start another debate on them. I am just stating my personal preference)

8. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member