C'mon - one day out of a leisure battery???? (1 Viewer)

ponyboy

Free Member
Dec 19, 2012
Tasmania
Funster No
MH
Hobbyvan AKA Jinks
Exp
April 2012
Well that's all I'm getting out of my Hobby GS 50's Leisure battery. NOT running the fridge on battery, not using the heater although sorely tempted here in Charente Maratime ONE WEEK out from summer. All we're using it for is a small amount of lighting each evening and a n equally small amount of electic pump. At this stage we're both trained to use an eggcup full at a time for washing the dishes. Has anyone run into this issue before and is there some switch somewhere that flicks from 2% to 100% on this battery

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi, Given your location it is autumn so a cooler than normal, you don't mention the size of the battery or how many/what wattage lights or for how long. Given an 85 amp/hr battery you only have 40ish amp/hours in the battery[HI] if[/HI] it is fully charged when you start. Do you run a TV, water heater or anything else. how are you charging the battery, do you have solar. more details certainly needed before we can help.

OP
OP
ponyboy

ponyboy

Free Member
Dec 19, 2012
Tasmania
Funster No
MH
Hobbyvan AKA Jinks
Exp
April 2012
thx wildman - will chk out details of battery tomorrow daylight - currently in the dark after an hour or so usage of one reading light, and that's after driving around 100k today, would have thought that i would have built up a little more than that. No solar and no tv or any other electronic devices. Thx for your interest - will get back to you tomorrow

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
not having a euro motorhome but isnt there a trip switch somewhere that could of been knocked/tripped or the switch for the charging unit knocked off, I know in my unit i can turn the charging unit off manually and there is a trip switch also, so meaning that the unit possibly isnt charging the leisure battery as your driving

Last edited:

mandymops

Free Member
Apr 2, 2012
Streatham
Funster No
MH
bedford rascal nipper
Exp
I'm a newbie
Mine wasn't charging when I was driving and it was down to a loose fan belt. Problem now solved.:Smile:

OP
OP
ponyboy

ponyboy

Free Member
Dec 19, 2012
Tasmania
Funster No
MH
Hobbyvan AKA Jinks
Exp
April 2012
It's an EXIDE Marine and Multifit Equipment Gel ES900 900Wh 80Ah 12V and I've checked the tension on any belts I could see in the engine compartment and they're ok, the battery is located under the passenger seat and its connections are rock solid. like i said before - I've only used it for a small amount of lighting in the evening. What should I expect from a battery like this??
Thx in advance chaps and chapesses for your shared knowledge

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
It's an EXIDE Marine and Multifit Equipment Gel ES900 900Wh 80Ah 12V and I've checked the tension on any belts I could see in the engine compartment and they're ok, the battery is located under the passenger seat and its connections are rock solid. like i said before - I've only used it for a small amount of lighting in the evening. What should I expect from a battery like this??
Thx in advance chaps and chapesses for your shared knowledge

Basic stuff here: have you used a multimeter to check voltage at the battery?

Rough guide:
12.7Volts = 100%
12.4Voplts = 75%
12.2Volts = 50%
12.0Volts = 25%
11.9Volyts = Discharged.......

Hope that helps

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
an 80ah battery will give you 40amp hours usable power....thats a 1amp load for 40 hours.

given that your 10watt reading light will be just less than 1 amp and your water pump will be 10amps, but only on for a very short period, i reckon something is seriously wrong.

if you had no problem with the old battery i would say the new one is faulty.

one thing i did notice though.....you say the battery is a GEL type, is your charger set up or suitable for charging GEL batteries or do you not use shore power (hookup) anyway.

GEL and lead acid batteries are charged differently.

if you use shore power you are independent of the battery to an extent anyway as 12v power comes direct from the charger unit indicating the charger is either turned off or a fuse has blown..

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi look for a switch on the control panel you could well have one to switch charging from engine charge to L/batt charge -check if you have a relay fitted to charge the L/b from engine -usualy single relay will be to fridge and a twin relay will do both when engine is running -also check the fuses close to these.
A 80 amp L/B should give you a couple of nights use with a couple of hours tv thrown in.YOU say 2 % charge chances are your L/B is knackered -if not get some charge in it pretty dam quick :Eeek:
Check with a multi meter with no engine running then start engine and see if voltage rises close to 14v ish that will tell you if the relay is working/have one--the fridge should only work off 12v when engine is running --it could well be as simple as the switch :winky:
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back