Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Sue and I have a couple of sit on top kayaks and as you know we have a rally field. We are having a kayak fishing meet 21-26th July all comers welcome even if you only want a quiet paddle in the sheltered waters of the Taw/Torridge estuary email or txt please if you are interested and I'll send details phone number is in my signature. Any enquiries for your own rallies also welcome. I should have a spare kayak or two for anyone to try out

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have had, and have now, inflatable canoes/kayaks.

We started out with a Gumotex Palava inflatable as we wanted something big enough for 2 adults an 3 dogs! We used this for quite a while but unfortunately we found that we kept having 'heated disussions' :RollEyes: about who should be paddling when, so we got a couple of used single Gumotex Junior ones (tight fit as really meant for kids!) locally and gave them a go, mainly because the last time hubby went out in a single canoe he nearly tipped over! ::bigsmile: We found that the Juniors worked well so decided to get something a bit less snug so purchased a couple of single Wetline Travel kayaks but found that although they were very stable they were an absolute b*gger to get dry as they consisted of an outer material protective cover (not meant to be waterproof!) and internal bladders which were zipped inside but this meant that water got inside the material covering so the only real way to get them dry was to hang them out for hours ... or even days ... so this was a major problem as we seldom stayed on campsites and usually only stopped in one spot for a single night! So we sold them and initially got a couple of single Gumotex Safaris (similar to the Solar which you can still get) and these were much better due to them being constructed as one piece (very durable) so no outer skin to hold the water (most, if not all, Gumotex ones are like this).

Then our 'dream' ones came up for sale, Gumotex Helios 1 single kayaks, very reasonably priced but as we had to get them from abroad we bought a few to sell on to offset the delivery costs (same price regardless of how many we got). They are more like a kayak than a canoe as they have a covered front/rear which also is great for stowing stuff safely. They fit in our motorhome under the rear bed and probably take about 10 mins in total to get out, blow both up, get our gear on and be out on the water! Drying them is much easier too as the 'rubberised' material is just wiped dry ... the hardest part is trying to reach the inside ends of them to dry them off (a towel on a pole does the job!), I wouldn't have any other make now! :thumb:

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
perception sundance me, great little all rounder, sits on top of the camper been all over Europe even down the Verdon gorge.
Use it for fishing as well although a tight squeeze if I catch anything!!
Also use it round the estuary/backwaters here at Harwich.
Be nice to have a funsters water borne outing.

Tony

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
RS_rob

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
We have 2 Jackson Rogue (1 each) l am doing my level3 white water start next weekend with Leam Boats am going to Wales..

Anywhere near Bala by any chance ? Im up there repeating my WWSR on the Top part of the Tryweryn staying @ Pant Yr Onnan Fri to Sun :thumb:

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
I had real trouble getting my wife on a ferry.thats ok now,even through we had a really bad storm on our last trip.but I would love to go to a meet and have a try.i go down to brackmills on the a45 just of jun 15 mi.just to whatch the white water nutters.you have to be mad to do that.:Eeek::Eeek:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Sit-on-top kayaks..... Wilderness Systems old style Ride for me and Ocean Kayak Scupper-Pro for him. We had our first paddle for over 3 years yesterday on Derwent Water. These are big, heavy kayaks, especially my Ride but we are thinking of getting lighter sit-on day boats.

We'd love a meet at long as the paddling is simple recreational stuff - lakes/lochs/loughs, estuaries, calm sea, grade 1 or 2. I'm much more interested in watching wildlife than in shooting falls and rough rapids.

Also I have a disability so would assess what is possible and what isn't possible for me - but I can do bank support if I can't paddle.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Would love a paddle meet. We have a Pelican 15.5 open canoe and 2 SOT ocean kayaks. Bought those on a whim in France last year and can honestly say they made the holiday. They will be coming everywhere with us now. When we have gained some more experience we will upgrade to sea kayaks, but for now these suit us just fine.

Have managed to get both the SoT and the open on the roof on the MoHo, not all at the same time though:whatthe:

We are taking the open canoe to both the Bring and Buy Sale meet and the Fix it Meet as both sites are right by either a canal or river. There is still room at the Fix it Meet if any paddlers want to join us.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
So comon then own up how many of you guys n gals own a boat ?
It doesnt matter what type this is just to get an idea of how many paddler are amongst us, you could own a Kayak either general purpose, tourer, ww, freestyle, sea or even a sit on top or it could be an open or even an inflatable.

So own up tell us what you've got & maybe we could organise a get together which could be anything from a gentle paddle round a lake or a trip down the Tryweryn or a paddle round Anglesey to watch the seals.

We still have our Narrowboat, moored on the scenic Lancaster Canal (Boat hire and scenic trips available with lunch served by a topless wif......er, waitress, only £200 per head!)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
If you have a meet up can people who don't have a boat come and watch..?

emmmm no..can't have slackers...:roflmto:

but you can come and help carry and have a go in mine :thumb:

I may be an old fiddle.. but can do a canna paddle :winky:

OP
OP
RS_rob

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
If you have a meet up can people who don't have a boat come and watch..?

Yep & even have a try if thoust wishes :roflmto: or you could be our beer n burger buddy

Last edited:
OP
OP
RS_rob

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I will gather some info from my stopover this weekend, I wont have the time to go check more locations but i do know the placed im going to is suitable & has access to a large lake suitable for all craft plus they have a rally field that i inquire about a few years ago.

it @ Bala in wales but I am also on the hunt for more locations plus there are some leads to follow in this thread.

:Cool:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Due to recent changes my income has been drastically reduced so I need to host more rallies, obviously I cannot promote them myself I need a marshal. This thread is ideal for me

the rally field is 10 acres and I can supply a marquee free of charge

a kayak/canoe trailer is available along with a landrover to transport people to launch sites

here

or here

or here

or maybe all of them.

Last edited:

Kevc

Free Member
Feb 20, 2012
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Compact Leisure vehicle
Exp
Since 2011
Have just found this thread, would be interested in a meet.
I am a canoe and a kayak coach and have a few boats, WW Kayak, WW Canoe, 16' Prospector Canoe, and a touring Kayak. Obviously the WW kit also works on flat water ::bigsmile:. Could bring them all for folks to try if wherever the meet is has room for a trailer?

Stay safe

Kev

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
no problem with trailers here why don't YOU organise a meet/rally here:thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
This looks a great site for a paddlers' meet :Smile:

Broken Link Removed

it does but comes out at around £20 a day for motorhome trailer and 2 kayaks they don't mention dogs but probably charge extra for those as well. worth a visit for one day I suppose but a 5 day meet would be expencive. I am used to charging a quarter of that.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Rob, is Anglesey or Bala still a possibility please? I am trying to work out dates and cost of diesel and so many other meets keep cropping up.. my diary is getting confused. Ta.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
I don't think I am that large.but the says I am.and she is never wrong.:Angry:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I can reccomend the Four Winds Campsite in March, Cambridgeshire as a good site for a mixed ability group. They also have open canoes to hire. It is a nice flat site on the banks of the Old River Nene, very clear water and a lovely paddle into town for a cider or two. They have a rally field as well as the CS.
http://fourwindsleisure.com/

OP
OP
RS_rob

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Rob, is Anglesey or Bala still a possibility please? I am trying to work out dates and cost of diesel and so many other meets keep cropping up.. my diary is getting confused. Ta.

I hear you there not only am I trying to juggle paddling trips but now its funster meets as well

I'd like to plan my first one in Wales as its easily accessible plus the getting on the water part is easier as you may get on by the means of a day pass rather than having to have a bcu licence.
Some sites don't require a pass if your staying like the one in gwynant plus they hire boats aswell

Also it would enable a varying type of watercraft to be used as there is too much elf n safety involved in English lakes.

I currently have lake bala & gwynant in mind but need to consider the number of attendees & access.

But yes in a nut shell Wales & maybee late summer.

I think a saw a quote on here "if you plan it they will come" :thumb:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Someone in Tesco car park yesterday told me that there is a brilliant rally field attached to the Bala campsite, right on the river. They said they would log onto motorhome fun but I don't think they have posted.:Sad:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Bala campsite was good when we stayed there a few years ago. We weren't camping but had the cottage. For people travelling from a distance they could extend their stay by using the campsite before / after the meet.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Anyone coming to either of the lazy buzzard meets this year is welcome to ask about kayaks as I have a few around that you can look at and see what you could carry or what would suit you.
I will be preparing a review of some eventually to see what I can manage to carry on the rear of my motorhome.
I will have a fibreglass Canadian canoe for sale at the bring and buy, very cheap if anyone is interested drop me a pm.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back