Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
While bimbling to Cornwall and back, the clutch slipped a few times. It took some careful use of the throttle to stop it happening, and we landed home without a breakdown. Now, it definatley needs renewing, there is some adjustment on a clutch, but generally, if iyt needs adjusting , it needs changing.
We have doem less that 1500 miles since we bought it.....it is under warranty,....but would YOU approach the dealer in this case?

Its a Fiat Ducato 2,8tjd

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
While bimbling to Cornwall and back, the clutch slipped a few times. It took some careful use of the throttle to stop it happening, and we landed home without a breakdown. Now, it definatley needs renewing, there is some adjustment on a clutch, but generally, if iyt needs adjusting , it needs changing.
We have doem less that 1500 miles since we bought it.....it is under warranty,....but would YOU approach the dealer in this case?

Its a Fiat Ducato 2,8tjd

If it's under warranty then take it back wether adjustment or needing replacement dosn't matter.....that's what warranty is for.

Having covered only 1500 miles it wasn't fit for purpose when sold to you, a decent dealer will do the repairs, at such low miles dont accept wear and tear.

All the best Rick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
warrenty does not generally cover wear and tear items.... Brake pads, tyres ... clutch as these are heavily influenced by vehicle load and driving style.
but , if you dont ask you dont get!!:thumb:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
if you dont get!!! make a play for a reasonable contribution from the dealer because of the low mileage and it is still in its warranty period...:Smile:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
As its a 2.8 Ducato it must be pre 2006 (x200 came out late 06) which means its at least six years old. As it still has a warranty I can only assume it has been bought by the OP in the last year. He doesn't tell us what its total mileage is but I'll bet its more than 1500 so wear and tear will most likely be the answer but its still worth asking.

D.

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
As its a 2.8 Ducato it must be pre 2006 (x200 came out late 06) which means its at least six years old. As it still has a warranty I can only assume it has been bought by the OP in the last year. He doesn't tell us what its total mileage is but I'll bet its more than 1500 so wear and tear will most likely be the answer but its still worth asking.

D.

I agree Dave......but if I sold a car with a warranty when I was trading and it covered a whole 1500 miles after sale......I would stand by my sale and fit a new clutch even at my expense no questions asked..... I would consider a customer purchasing a second hand vehicle can expect more than 1500 trouble free miles........unles of course it was a trade sale or a very cheap old banger.........but thats just my opinon and the way I conduct my business and it always paid me to do so..........I have repaired cars out of warranty free if I considered it should have lasted longer.........one person I did that for went on to buy their next seven cars from me plus so did their family paid me back ten fold.

All the best Rick

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
I bought my van privately and also had clutch slip after a few months. There is no adjustment and I had to have a new clutch. It quite surprised me as it had only covered 17000 miles at the time. Cost at the time, 16 months ago £750-00. Hope the warranty will cover yours.

OP
OP
darklord

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
I have decided, after comments on here and a bit of investigating, not to make a claim under the warranty (12 months).
I can buy a clutch for around £150 and fit it myself in a morning, I am giving the dealer the benefit of the doubt in assuming he will not have known the clutch was due for a change.

Chris, a remap will have no bearing whatsoever on clutch life, unless of course, its a vauzhall corsa with a dustbin for an exhaust and an oik driving it.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Its funny how many times I read of people having a remap on a motorhome and then the clutch slipping, I will draw my own conclusions as about remaps making no difference to your clutch

OP
OP
darklord

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Opinions are ALL valid, but while remaps on MH;s are relativley new, they are routinely done on landrovers, and also a large number of the heavy trucks on the road.....with very little reference to clutch wear. It could be a "chicken and egg" situation, a MH that is constantly struggling up hills and gradients due to its weight etc, may push the owner to have a remap, without considering the wear on the clutch that has already been caused.

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
I have decided, after comments on here and a bit of investigating, not to make a claim under the warranty (12 months).
I can buy a clutch for around £150 and fit it myself in a morning, I am giving the dealer the benefit of the doubt in assuming he will not have known the clutch was due for a change.

Chris, a remap will have no bearing whatsoever on clutch life, unless of course, its a vauzhall corsa with a dustbin for an exhaust and an oik driving it.

He may well not have known, if he didn't he will more than likely put it right for you......if he did then he will try to worm out of doing it because he should never have sold it knowing the clutch was on the way out.

All the best Rick

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back