Just got the bill 2800 euros ( ouch )!

Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
What else did that include? Probably about four to five times the UK cost for a clutch replacement!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I've heard about those gold plated clutches!! Hope it's all sorted and no more troubles for you now.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Got a new clutch and dual mass flywheel fitted to our 2 litre diesel Volvo recently (175k miles) cost almost £750, €2800 sounds steep but at least you're mobile again for a good few more miles.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
@£2211.00 thats 3 x the going rate for a Dual Mass Clutch, and 5 times for a standard clutch what happens to folks brains when they break down in far away places
doesn't anyone ask the locals where they would go??
think of some like scenarios and have action plans in place instead of panick reactions to recovery offerings who must be on a rake off at these prices :eek:
Your not the first and wont be the last
Make Plans ahead of breakdowns IT CAN happen to you
G

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
One plan just off the top of my head."Red Pennant". Never had to use them when i was a member,but from a close friends experience,and a chap who was on a site in France,getting the business done,they were first class.
But,if you are between a rock and a hard place,you pay whatever just to get moving again. Clutches sometimes give a bit of a warning,but some just.... expire.
On a happy note,add up all the times you camped for free (NO! not FLT LOL) and divide it into you repair costs...... Does that ease the pain a bit ?
Tea Bag

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Sooner than you planned for
G

How do you know when you are going to break down,,especially with clutches,,,some last for ever some don't..Its not a part of the vehicle you can maintain other than checking clearance of free play,,and whoever your break down insurance is with its pot luck which garage they recover you to when abroad,,,BUSBY.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I am pretty confident the OP knows this is a lot of money, probably too much, but what exactly can he do about it

Might there be any redress through the recovery agency he used, presuming it wasn't sorted privately

Do we have an option for recovery back to UK rather than mending while still abroad? Recovery firm would pay more to get us back than to mend most issues, might they not contribute to the repairs in lieu of not being recovered

I intend now to do some research to see where we would stand, not easy when it happens, language issues, probable lack of motor trade knowledge, hint of panic, I reckon the majority of us would be in exactly the same boat, even with a plan

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Without an itemised bill it's not really informative. it might include the recovery charge

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
if that clutch type has a thrust bearing they should have replaced that as well :Eeek:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I am pretty confident the OP knows this is a lot of money, probably too much, but what exactly can he do about it

Might there be any redress through the recovery agency he used, presuming it wasn't sorted privately

Do we have an option for recovery back to UK rather than mending while still abroad? Recovery firm would pay more to get us back than to mend most issues, might they not contribute to the repairs in lieu of not being recovered

I intend now to do some research to see where we would stand, not easy when it happens, language issues, probable lack of motor trade knowledge, hint of panic, I reckon the majority of us would be in exactly the same boat, even with a plan
That is the one thing that can keep me awake at night, the thought of a problem in France.:(:sick::cry::eek:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
BMW mini charged £2400 for a new clutch on Sandra's 1.6D - failed at 29k

Thank god they also paid for it under warranty :)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
How do you know when you are going to break down,,especially with clutches,,,some last for ever some don't..Its not a part of the vehicle you can maintain other than checking clearance of free play,,and whoever your break down insurance is with its pot luck which garage they recover you to when abroad,,,BUSBY.
yOU ARE DETINED TO BECOME

I knew someone would work it out eventually.
And that is what is called planning,(y) run through your options here at home, work out or find out what options you have, yes you might be in the same boat at the end of the day but you will have researched your options in the comfort of your own territory and not just nodding at every suggestion put to you when you were in fact ill prepared for whats just happend, its old and its corny But, Expect the Unexpected its worth it, and you may work out better options here than what is on offer over there and TELL the Recoverer where and what you want. leave it to him and i know who will benefit and who wont:mad:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
yOU ARE DETINED TO BECOME

I knew someone would work it out eventually.
And that is what is called planning,(y) run through your options here at home, work out or find out what options you have, yes you might be in the same boat at the end of the day but you will have researched your options in the comfort of your own territory and not just nodding at every suggestion put to you when you were in fact ill prepared for whats just happend, its old and its corny But, Expect the Unexpected its worth it, and you may work out better options here than what is on offer over there and TELL the Recoverer where and what you want. leave it to him and i know who will benefit and who wont:mad:

Well er yes,,,i know lots off good garages in Europe i would get my van repared at,,I DONT THINK,,,It took me long enough to find one here at home,,,BUSBY.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
You always ask for a 'devis' (quote - legally binding both ways once signed) before having any work done...

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
You always ask for a 'devis' (quote - legally binding both ways once signed) before having any work done...
What if the quote is too much in your opinion? Where do you go from there?

OP
OP
The rehctub
Sep 20, 2014
Luton
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
8 years
Break down of bill roughly materials 1900 euros labour 11.5 hours as given to me by peougot uk = 950 euros
Total 2850 euros as quoted by French garage
Ps
Same job in uk price quoted £2380.30
Glad I'm in France

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Break down of bill roughly materials 1900 euros labour 11.5 hours as given to me by peougot uk = 950 euros
Total 2850 euros as quoted by French garage
Ps
Same job in uk price quoted £2380.30
Glad I'm in France
82€ an hour labor!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries