Clutch gone on 2 year old van update (1 Viewer)

david price

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Bridgenorth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
5 years
Had a call today to say van is finally ready.
clutch,flywheel,oil seals and master cylinder.Cost just over £1300.I am paying 720 and fiat paying the rest as a goodwill gesture.
My reaction when they offered this was i told them to shove it up their backside,but my wife being the rational one rang them back up and said ok.She said when the work is done we will then fight to get our money back.
Fiat warranty did not want to know,saying work was not booked in in the warranty period.
Have read warranty book and it clearly says if a fault occurs during warranty period,which it clearly does.Have proof of being at fiat perpignan and reporting fault to fiat in the warranty period.It was their faffing about which delayed matters.
Call them and they say they will ring you back,which they rarely do.
One thing for sure is i will never buy fiat again.
Will be checking for reverse judder when i go to pick it up,does anyone know if i can refuse the new clutch if it still judders.Will be a very expensive van if this happens every 2 years.
Dave

OP
OP
david price

david price

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Bridgenorth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
5 years
Bought before any problems where reported.Infact i was so impressed with the performance compared to the jtd i bought an x250 for my business :Sad:
Dave

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
I suggest that you contact Trading Standards and Citizens' Advice Bureau for Advice David.

They'll be able to tell you your position, and advize you how to get the best deal you can.

Honest John may also be able to to help you.

As I understand it, you don't suddenly lose your consumer protection when the warranty period ends.
Things you buy are supposed to be fit for their purpose.
A blind man on a charging horse would notice that your van obviously wasn't fit for it's purpose when you bought it.
Fiat on the other hand have to prove it was.

But CAB and TS will tell you more and with more authority.

The Small Claims Court will cost you less than 50 quid, your time in court, and a bit of paperwork.
Even if you lose, it won't cost more than 50 quid, unless the court feels you deliberately wasted their time.

On the other hand, it will cost Fiat to turn up.

Oscarmax

Free Member
Oct 22, 2008
Funster No
MH
Coach
Exp
may 2008
Dave I like many others reported my transmission problem to the SMMT, they have decided to take up my case, give them a call,

OP
OP
david price

david price

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Bridgenorth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
5 years
Oscar maxx,who is ssmt?
Further update.My wife has been on the phone all day with fiat and we are now waiting for an arbitrator.First quote was £900,then Went to £1100 and finally £1300 after they had stripped it down.
Fiat agreed to pay for parts and said we would have to pay £605.Van now ready for collection and they want £720.
If i could run my business like they do,then i would not have a problem about paying,after all i would have alot of money in the bank.
Another thought is to get some lettering made up about how fiat are treating certain customers and park up outside one of their showrooms.If there were enough of us they may get the message.:RollEyes::RollEyes::RollEyes:
Dave

Oscarmax

Free Member
Oct 22, 2008
Funster No
MH
Coach
Exp
may 2008
I have blanked out my case no and personel details. Dave I assume you brought this vehicle from new, Fiat has been aware of this problem since 2006, in fact they sent internal mail to all their dealers (I have a copy). If you have any problems PM me.

Anyone else who is experiencing transmission problem with these X250 Fiats, should also consider getting in touch with the SMMT.

Yesterday I was viewing the Australian Technical Specification of the Fiat X250 gearbox transmissions it clearly stated the reverse gear is lower than first gear. I will submitted another post in a minute.

Our Ref: / RCU -000XXXX

13 May 2009

Dear Mr XXXXX

Re: Your vehicle

Reg No: XXXXXXXX
Model: DUCATO Motor home

Thank you for your letter regarding your dispute with Fiat Group Automobiles UK Limited.

I am sorry to learn of the problems that you have experienced with your vehicle. Having reviewed your correspondence I believe that your case requires further investigation and have therefore referred your case to Conciliation under the terms of the Motor Industry Code of Practice for New Cars.

I have forwarded a copy of your letter to Fiat Group Automobiles UK Limited who will conduct an investigation into your case and provide us with a progress report or conclusion within 10 working days. It is quite normal not to receive any further communication from the Codes Advisory and Conciliation Service during this period, however you may be contacted by the manufacturer.

As soon as I have been advised by Fiat Group Automobiles UK Limited of the outcome of their investigation into your complaint I will conduct a review of your case and when satisfied with the outcome I will write again.

Further information about the Code Advisory and Conciliation Service and the Motor Industry Code of Practice for New Cars is available from our website The Motor Industry Code Of Practice For Service And Repair.

Yours sincerley

Sent electronically

Consumer Enquiries
The Society of Manufacturers & Traders Ltd.
Tel:+44(0)870 7518 270

Oscarmax

Free Member
Oct 22, 2008
Funster No
MH
Coach
Exp
may 2008
I recieved the official transmission ratio my van from Fiat in writing November 2008. My van is a 2.3 on a Maxi 40 chassis.

I have just look at the Australian site first and sixth gear are identical to my ratios, however, my original reverse gear ratio was 3.154, the Australin site data shows current reverse gear ratio 4.222, that 33.86% lower than mine, but what is more significant reverse is lower than first gear 13.28%.

So what is going on, are the transmission being fitted to the Australian vans different, with a lower reverse gear ratio.

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
Reverse was usually the lowest gear on earlier times OscarMax.

I don't know if it made it less juddery.

What sort of clutch linkage do you have on your van please?
Hydraulic?
Cable?
Other?

Oscarmax

Free Member
Oct 22, 2008
Funster No
MH
Coach
Exp
may 2008
Hydraulic with a damper, it is intended to dampen the clutch action on release, it does not work.

Fiat in their wisdom decided to fit a high reverse gear, the 2.3 six speed being especially high 18% higher than first, along with some other vans. Fiat have change the reverse ratio and a new heavy duty clutch, but it is still 10% higher than first.

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
It's beyond me how "Fiat designers" could make such a fist of it Oscarmax.

Last car I remember with the problem was a Mini.
but only after the engine steady (damper) ripped off the bulkhead.

Does your van have an engine steady?

There's a pic on here of an after market steady with some description.

eBay.com.my: Ultimate mini engine steady 1275 (item 400027163585 end time May 26, 2009 22:42:50 MYT)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back