Clutch gone in France

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by garfield, Jan 25, 2010.

1. garfield

garfield Read Only Funster

Left the uk last Sat. all so relaxed, that was untill 1030hr this morning. Was staying on an aire in Campginey and pulled up to dump emptying point and had problem getting reverse gear. Cut long story short I am waiting to have a new clutch fitted to 2.4 ltr Ford Durotorque Transit. Quoted 1125.00 Euro. Do you think this is reasonable?Breakfast £30.00 for the both of us deafinetley not reasonable on top of 105 euro per night for the room but stuck here till Friday ooh la la.

2. John H

John H Read Only Funster

I was quoted £380.00 for a full clutch on a 20l petrol fiat, i suppose if it includes recovery etc its going to be higher. I hope you get it sorted and carry on with your holiday.

John

3. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Hi Garfield, The question I would be asking, is why has the clutch gone on a newish Tranny.
    I ran older model Trannys for 30 years and I would expect around 100000 miles from a clutch.

4. staging lady

staging lady Funster

We had our clutch done on our old Frankia a year last November near Pau. Cost was 550 euros not including recovery paid by insurance.
    Lucille

5. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

have you thought about contacting your insurance company or your rac/aa or other recovery company - they will have people locally who may be able to assist and advise whether or not the price is reasonable

Heres hoping it all works out okay for you xxxx

6. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

The 2.4 has a Dual Mass Clutch but even so that is expensive :Eeek:£700 average UK price
    We usually fit a 4 piece conversion to them its a shame you didnt know about those,that includes a new solid flywheel and H/Duty cluch kit, around £600 inc fitting and that means the next clutch job will be with anormal cluch at the standard price of about £350-£400:Doh:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  7. wasp

wasp Funster

Hey Garfield how many miles have you done ? I`ve got one of those and now i`m worried. Hope you soon get sorted Cheers mate

8. garfield

Done 39900 Mile. This is the first clutch I have had go since an old Ford Anglia van I had in the sixties and that started by slipping going up hill. This time the pedal just got lower and lower untill there was no travel in the pedal. I was recovered by Saga assist to a Citroen dealer, but they said thats OK they repair all types.
    I must admit I am not to happy with the cost but had I come home I would still face a bill of £400 to £600 and then I would be in the North of England.
    The worst thing is being in a hotel with nothing to do and £7 for 2 cups of tea. Thanks to you all .

9. johnsandywhite

johnsandywhite Read Only Funster

:Sad: Same here LAST January in Clermont Ferrand. 5 days, but only one in a Hotel. Rear Offside Wheel bearing packed in. 784 Euros + 78 Euros for one night Hotel. :Blush:

10. rickscott

rickscott Funster

The way you describe it, sounds like the slave cylinder has failed. this still requires the gearbox off if it's a concentric cylinder. If it's a conventional one, it should be a 45 minute job start to finish. Check to see what exactly has failed.

Hope you get sorted, and it dosen't put too much of a dampener on things.

11. Braunston

Braunston Read Only Funster

Hi,

From the prices quoted in this thread for repairs in France, how can people say its Rip-off-Brittian, I supose these don't count.

12. ginge61

ginge61 Read Only Funster

i wouled change the master cylinder first as these tend to go on that model :thumb:

13. ginge61

thats what has happend i think too as have changed a few of these and its an easy fix :thumb:

14. ginge61

pm reply sent :thumb:

15. Sweet Chariot

Sweet Chariot Read Only Funster

My clutch went on my Peugeot in Rouen France last september 6 days we were waiting do not expect them to rush as they want to justify the big bill mine being 1100 euro. Visit the garage each day and perhaps like me in the end you find your van parked up work finished but them telling you it will be another day. Hope all goes ok though.:thumb:

16. garfield

I think you might be right, problem is we are in a hotel 30Km south from the garage, and are being moved tomorrow to a hotel 30Km north.
    Just all part of of the mystrey of life.

17. geoff1947

geoff1947 Read Only Funster

Look on the bright side Geoff You've got the lovely Jac for company!!!!!!!! Mind if she doesn't get UK TV updates before long---just watch out! Hope it all goes well.:thumb:

18. garfield

Allready taking flack BBC Iplayer has found out we are not in the UK and has closed down. So the lovely Jac has turned in to Tasmainian Devil, just as well I know how to tune her, but I will be carefull all the same!!!:Eeek:

19. Sweet Chariot

Sweet Chariot Read Only Funster

To be quite honest we found it very frustrating and when we got the van back we headed home even though we were one week into a months holiday. Our only saving was the area was going through a heat wave at the time. Taking a side the jokes hear I really feel for you as without your van you feel lost as we did.:BigGrin:

20. garfield

y
    I feel as if I am some sort of refugee. We spent the day in a hypomarket bought a travel kettler so we can make a cuppa as and when. Only 3 days to go, if all goes to plan.(fingers X) Will carry on with the holiday even though the weather in Spain is not that great but it can change tomorrow.