Clutch Claw

Discussion in 'Motorhome Security' started by Taran_Las, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

Has anyone used a Clutch Claw device on their van? Do you consider them effective? Any related comments gratefully received.

Thanks

2. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

We have had one for years. It works very well and is secure. The biggest problem we have is getting it on and off, squeezing between the seat and stearing wheel head down. It can have a battery powered flashing light but we haven't bothered to fit the battery.

We have a sticker on the window saying we have one fitted.

They do not work with Autoclutch or Automatic no clutch setups, as they fit around both pedals, or foul the autoclutch mechanism.

John

3. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

A simple but brilliant piece of kit. Only drawback is that its difficult to fit and remove from inside the cab. Far easier to do from outside through the open door. can be a bit awkward, but worth it

4. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

it is a lot easier with an immobiliser and alarm

It is a lot easier to have a decent alarm and immobiliser fitted.

Click the button and job done.

Bob:Blush:

5. Nirvanauk

Nirvanauk Funster

Along the same lines, can anyone recommend a decent steering wheel clamp? I can't fit a clutch clamp as I have an automatic.
    Many thanks.

6. Terry

Terry Funster

All the land rover guys fit Disklocs around here :thumb: they say they are good :thumb: They must be because not many unknown LRs survive a night without one around here :Wink:
    terry

7. SuperMike

SuperMike Read Only Funster

Havn't got a Clutch Claw, but then I havn't got a clutch. :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

Sorry. :Blush:

• Like Like x 1
  8. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

winnebago's are automatics

As you say what is a clutch:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

Bob:thumb:

9. M1TCH

M1TCH Read Only Funster

Its whats fitted in a real drivers vehicle :thumb:

10. M1TCH

M1TCH Read Only Funster

They fail go off in the middle of the night or early morning on sites waking everyone up and nobody takes any bloody notice of them because they think its failing again, the clutch claw is not hard to fit from outside the van if you modify it slightly just cut the holed shalf down slightly but think of this if its hard to get on for the owner who has the key just think how hard its going to be to get off without :thumb:

11. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

Thanks all for your comments. :thumb:

12. Drew

Drew Funster

My only comment would be that most post manufactured mechanical means of securing a vehicle are at best a short term solution. A thief will find a way around them all and tests have shown that all can be removed in a few seconds by a competent criminal. Having said that they are designed to deter an opportunist as they slow them down, so for this application they work.
    It therefore depends on what you are expecting from this device, it won't stop the thief who is stealing your van to order, but then not much will, nor will it stop the thief who wants the stuff you have inside, money, laptop, sat-nav etc. There is probably little you can do save fitting a safe to deter the opportunist from having a go, even an alarm is useless if you leave things in plain view.
    With security you need to ask yourself some basic questions about what you want to protect and what is real value is to you, insurance will replace things but cannot replace memories or the feeling of being violated.

• Like Like x 1
  13. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

Bit outdated on the security front. Quite easily removed, in fact easier than using the key.

The newer version is the pedal box which locks over all the pedals. The best visual deterant is the disclok which covers the whole steering wheel.

For budget price, a Fortress steering bar can be bought for £20 and is resonable, though not perfect in design.

A disclok will look efficient, couple that with a door strap and a decent fiamma lock on the hab door - which to be honest, is the one they will go for as it offers least resistance!

14. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

Reason for asking the question:

As I travel on my own mostly, I would like to park the van up (e.g. on an Aire) and go off for the day. I do have a small safe installed. I don't generally leave things lying around. I'd like to use an effective deterrant to hopefully make the thief consider stealing someone else's van:Wink:.

So up to now the Diskloc seems the most effective.

Thanks (once again) for your comments.

15. Drew

Drew Funster

Your logic sounds impeccable, a visual deterrent should make your motor home less attractive, especially if there are others without such deterrents. :thumb:

16. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Some ages back there was a steering lock gadget available that electrocuted the thief (and possibly the owner by mistake) almost certainly illegal though.

17. Drew

Drew Funster

Sadly (the thief not the owner)